Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Mar 4, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #511 of 589
My observations, which I have already written about earlier in this thread.

Using PA10 and IEM headphones with low impedance < or =16Ω - like my Astell & Kern AK T9iE - the power is astonishing :scream:
and I suggest going down to LineOut from DAP to 2V (Dedicated LineOut from Kann Ultra) but this is just a compromise to have more volume control options with the PA10.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, a higher LineOut voltage of 4V with DAP is recommended.
and 300 Ohm headphones like HD800s give a better effect 1/3 of the volume knob is loud enough.

When I reduce LineOut to 2V using HD800s connected to PA10 I go into the region of 1/2 or higher volume.
But most importantly, in my opinion, this sound is no longer so lively, expressive, it lacks the edge that with LineOut voltage of 4V we simply lose a lot
.:worried:

I will say more, in the case of really effective and sensitive IEMs with low resistance <16Ω
(just my opinion), driving them directly from the Kann Ultra DAP (I can set 4 GAIN presets in it) is probably a better idea.

PS. I do not recommend using adapters that increase resistance like
IFI iEMatch+, the sound quality degrades significantly,
not to mention the poor quality of the resistance slider switch in this adapter.:weary:

But as I always say - check it out, test it and listen to it yourself.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #512 of 589
I was also interested in q15, could you please write some short sound comparison between listening straight out of the q15 and when paired with the pa10?
Thanx in advance :wink:

Via the PA10 it's better no surprise - it's a touch smoother, less grainy and wider sounding. I'm not completely sold on the Q15 as a source however, I need to spend more time with it. The main reason why I purchased it was it's EQ, but it's got some bugs so I can't use it as I wish over usb.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #513 of 589
One thing to mention- the JVC are rather smooth but have higher peak at 4-5k relative to 2,8-3k peak which would be more correct. It can cause this slight metallic timbre. Also the hd800s are rather harsher and bright on top. So your impressions can be strongly influenced by your transducers but im just guessing.
I've compared the HD800s across different sources and amplifiers - most other amps don't control their brightness, but RME ADI fs > 3.5mm PA10 is smooth as butter and cocoons the harshness in way that it tell me yes these a bright tuned headphones but presents them in a safe smooth way - making them easily enjoyable without fatigue. Similarly with fdx1 - their metallic timbre is more controlled compared to other amplifiers - imo it's just a very pleasant sound (keep in mind the RME plays a part here too)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #515 of 589
I connected a 9 years old Pioneer xdp 300r to the pa10 and I'm actually stunned by how good it sounds. The performance of the 300r jumped like at least 5 levels up.
Smoother, very detailed, very airy and extremely wide sounding combo. Still there is a typical ESS timbre but natural and not digital at all. It was very well implemented by Pioneer.
I don't hear any detail drop in comparison to today's sources.
With the pa10 is very precise, separated and more weighty, a typical desktop grade sound, with a very expansive soundstage and incisive transients.
The xdp300r alone sounds like it's broken in comparison (I thought it sounded great until I connected them together).

Attachments

• 20240308_175133.jpg
    20240308_175133.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #517 of 589
I just purchased this amplifier, but one thing isn't clear to me... what type of charger should I use? I have an Anker Quick Charge 3.0 that I use for some daps and for the Shanling H7... is it good for this too? Thank you.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #518 of 589
I just purchased this amplifier, but one thing isn't clear to me... what type of charger should I use? I have an Anker Quick Charge 3.0 that I use for some daps and for the Shanling H7... is it good for this too? Thank you.
From total discharge, using a standard 5V/2A charger it took me many hours, like 10+, for my PA-10's blue light to stop flashing and be fully charged. I now use my Samsung A11 charger which lists on the unit that it's dual rated for 5V/2A and 9V/1.67A, and it charges way faster than a vanilla 5V/2A only. I think your Anker has a range of volts and amps and might be OK but luckily my A11 charger explicitly listed the 9V/1.67A so for me it was a no brainer. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in here.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #519 of 589
I use this one for both AK devices- sp1000 and pa10. This one is safe and charges the pa10 in around 4h. I could use more powerful one but i dont want to risk having the battery degrade. The pa10 holds around 9h from balanced out, with Current set to High so its more than enough for two days and i charge it at night anyways.

Attachments

• Unbenannt-1.jpg
    Unbenannt-1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #520 of 589
@RIGATIO Did you try it with the FC6 before selling it? Too heavy as sound with an R2R?

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #522 of 589
I wonder if pairing the PA10 with the new AK dongle (the AK HC4) which is a dac and amp, would sound synergistic (or not). What is your opinion (or experience)?
As soon as the PA10 arrives I will let you know, but if there is the same synergy that the AKHC4 shows with the Cayin iHA-6 (also a class A amplifier) it will be a pure spectacle to listen to.
Lately I have also stocked up on anti-noise iems:
PULA PA02 (36 ohm) - SLIIVO SL-41 (42 ohm) - SLIIVO SLT6 (50/64 ohm)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #524 of 589
Hi! I also have IE600 paired with Shanling M8. Will I get much better sound with adding PA10 to this combo? Will it not be too warm?

I also own Mojo 2/Poly combo and Sundaras, so will PA10 be upgrade here too?

Thanks!

Frankly I think to much is put on the difference amplifiers make.

Do you hear different sound from M8 versus Mojo 2 ?

I like the PA10 and I always come away from a listening session having enjoyed it but the difference is hard for me to quantify and isn’t something I can identify in comparative A/B testing.

I know I don’t hear immediately obvious differences with PA10 versus my original Mojo or any other gear in a quick comparison but I do seem to enjoy it over a long listening session regardless, maybe it is just psychological differences.

I would not buy it expecting a massive immediately obvious difference but others will have a different view I am certain.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #525 of 589
Hi! I also have IE600 paired with Shanling M8. Will I get much better sound with adding PA10 to this combo? Will it not be too warm?

I also own Mojo 2/Poly combo and Sundaras, so will PA10 be upgrade here too?

Thanks!

the PA10 will bring the most benefit imo with full sized cans and dynamic IEMs. With balanced armatures it can sound a little metallic, and it's not always an improvement over a direct connection.

The PA10 isn't warm imo - I'd say it's very neutral, but it being class A it's controlled and grain free, which can come across as calm in a good way. If your source is warm, it'll let that quality shine through, it won't necessarily make it warmer, but it'll allow that warmth to filter through in a calm controlled manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back