Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Mar 30, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #556 of 592
The Elite is the best dongle on the market right now and thats by quite a margin.
It actually competes with daps from 1-1,5k price bracket.
It completely doesnt sound like a dongle, more like a mid class desktop setup.
Really, Elite is exceptional!! I was thinking about just bringing something different to the table. With a dongle with an AKM chip that could bring a little of the A&K sound. But, I already have the elite, I think I'll enjoy it more...

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #557 of 592
Really, Elite is exceptional!! I was thinking about just bringing something different to the table. With a dongle with an AKM chip that could bring a little of the A&K sound. But, I already have the elite, I think I'll enjoy it more...
You should be perfectly happy with this ROHM dac implementation. I think that this dac is more exotic on todays market which is flooded with ESS, Cirrus and AKM chips.
I often compare the Elite to the AK sp1000 (2 x AKM4497) and the ROHM gives this specific vibe- it has a very strong and dense midrange, great imaging and layering and is like a fusion of the ESS dynamics and incisivness blended with AKM's smoothness and warmth. Of course the terms i used are rather exaggerated as the differences between dacs are small but each of them have some specific characteristics which can be heard when listening carefully.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #558 of 592
You should be perfectly happy with this ROHM dac implementation. I think that this dac is more exotic on todays market which is flooded with ESS, Cirrus and AKM chips.
I often compare the Elite to the AK sp1000 (2 x AKM4497) and the ROHM gives this specific vibe- it has a very strong and dense midrange, great imaging and layering and is like a fusion of the ESS dynamics and incisivness blended with AKM's smoothness and warmth. Of course the terms i used are rather exaggerated as the differences between dacs are small but each of them have some specific characteristics which can be heard when listening carefully.
Really, the Ibasso DC-elite is special.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #559 of 592
An Astell&Kern DAP that is not a DAP: AKHC4 + AKPA10... first impressions in a bit...

A&k.jpg

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #561 of 592
Does the HC4 have a line out ?
No, it does not have a line out, but by setting the volume to maximum it offers 3 volts which are sufficient for the PA10 to express itself at its best and with practically zero background noise.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #562 of 592
Hi
Does anyone know how the pa10 sounds with the hifiman he1000 stealth or the original arya (non stealth) ? Does ir have enough power to drive them? I know they sound best worth desktop gear but I am looking dor a portable/ transportable solution.
Thanks in advance Jonathan

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #563 of 592
I thought that the PA10 had too thick a sound to be paired with the RU7... but I have to change my mind because it really is an excellent pairing.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #564 of 592
@Audiofilobrpt

So, as promised, I did some tests... as far as charging is concerned, from when the red light appears (30%) to complete charging (steady blue light) with the fast charger it takes just three hours. With the Mest MKII (12.5 ohm) it is certainly audible a background that is not completely black as is the case with the SLIIVO SL-41 (43 ohm) but in any case personally it doesn't create any problems for me and what you hear pays you off amply. Connected to the RU7 I wanted to do a small comparison between the Mest MKII, the Sliivo SL-41 and the Aroma Jewel (even if out of competition). The Mest sounds sublime as usual and acquires a body and solidity unknown with other sources, everything is dense and compact and the highs never go off topic but it is the darkest of the three. The SL-41 (for my taste) outclasses the Mest thanks to its clarity (even superior to the Jewel) which gives it truly stellar performance. It may not have the definition of the Jewel, but in terms of tone and tuning (in my opinion) it is certainly the best of the three. The Jewel has a bass that makes that of the Mest MKII seem non-existent (which is normally one of its strong points) and a refinement in the mids that leaves the other two far behind. Technically it is certainly the best of the three, superior definition to the Mest, many more nuances in the bass than the SL-41 and less extended highs than the other two but with more details (as far as they go). The most impressive of the three is certainly the SLIIVO SL-41 without a shadow of a doubt, it costs almost a tenth of the Mest and a thirty-fifth of the Jewel but it certainly doesn't show it at all.

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #565 of 592
@Audiofilobrpt

So, as promised, I did some tests... as far as charging is concerned, from when the red light appears (30%) to complete charging (steady blue light) with the fast charger it takes just three hours. With the Mest MKII (12.5 ohm) it is certainly audible a background that is not completely black as is the case with the SLIIVO SL-41 (43 ohm) but in any case personally it doesn't create any problems for me and what you hear pays you off amply. Connected to the RU7 I wanted to do a small comparison between the Mest MKII, the Sliivo SL-41 and the Aroma Jewel (even if out of competition). The Mest sounds sublime as usual and acquires a body and solidity unknown with other sources, everything is dense and compact and the highs never go off topic but it is the darkest of the three. The SL-41 (for my taste) outclasses the Mest thanks to its clarity (even superior to the Jewel) which gives it truly stellar performance. It may not have the definition of the Jewel, but in terms of tone and tuning (in my opinion) it is certainly the best of the three. The Jewel has a bass that makes that of the Mest MKII seem non-existent (which is normally one of its strong points) and a refinement in the mids that leaves the other two far behind. Technically it is certainly the best of the three, superior definition to the Mest, many more nuances in the bass than the SL-41 and less extended highs than the other two but with more details (as far as they go). The most impressive of the three is certainly the SLIIVO SL-41 without a shadow of a doubt, it costs almost a tenth of the Mest and a thirty-fifth of the Jewel but it certainly doesn't show it at all.
Thank you for all the details described. The PA10 certainly brings something to the table that will increase the performance of the dongles and help the IEMs sound their best. I didn't know the SLIIVO SL-41. Very interesting. Thanks for your thoughts.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #566 of 592
Another truly incredible pair... the extreme detail of the W4 with the extreme musicality and fullness of the PA10... worth listening to.

w4pa10.jpg

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #567 of 592
Another truly incredible pair... the extreme detail of the W4 with the extreme musicality and fullness of the PA10... worth listening to.

w4pa10.jpg
If you pair the PA10 with the DC-Elite, I’ll be curious to hear your impressions.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #568 of 592
If you pair the PA10 with the DC-Elite, I’ll be curious to hear your impressions.
Yesterday I tried it and I can tell you my impressions, the PA10 always leaves a well-defined trace in the sound it creates. As for the synergy with the Elite, it's really excellent as long as you look for what it creates. The weight of the notes increases as well as the presence of the bass (without exaggerating in any case), everything becomes denser, fuller-bodied, compact. However, the natural agility typical of the iBasso sound is lost, the definition remains unchanged but the mids are advanced and become the most prominent part of the sound, however at the cost of the perfect balance that the Elite. I'm not saying that the sound gets worse but it simply changes and therefore a lot will depend on the iem you use and what you are looking for. However, as far as the synergy with the W4 is concerned, for me it is superior because the PA10 fills the deficiencies of the W4 precisely in terms of the heaviness of the notes, rounding the edges of an extremely detailed and sharp dongle (something that the Elite is not ) and make the soundstage richer (another thing the Elite doesn't need). But what amazed me today was also the excellent synergy that the PA10 showed with the RU7 and I wouldn't have bet a cent on it. I had thought that the sound would thicken too much, becoming too heavy and instead it simply increased the sound characteristics of the RU7 without any exaggeration... truly an excellent synergy, but for now the best has been the one created with the W4. .. basically opposites attract. More tests to come... obviously I will try it with all my dongles and will update you as I carry them out. What I can say right away is that it is certainly an amplifier that will amaze you with its sound, but also with what it offers based on the cost required (really low).

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #569 of 592
Yesterday I tried it and I can tell you my impressions, the PA10 always leaves a well-defined trace in the sound it creates. As for the synergy with the Elite, it's really excellent as long as you look for what it creates. The weight of the notes increases as well as the presence of the bass (without exaggerating in any case), everything becomes denser, fuller-bodied, compact. However, the natural agility typical of the iBasso sound is lost, the definition remains unchanged but the mids are advanced and become the most prominent part of the sound, however at the cost of the perfect balance that the Elite. I'm not saying that the sound gets worse but it simply changes and therefore a lot will depend on the iem you use and what you are looking for. However, as far as the synergy with the W4 is concerned, for me it is superior because the PA10 fills the deficiencies of the W4 precisely in terms of the heaviness of the notes, rounding the edges of an extremely detailed and sharp dongle (something that the Elite is not ) and make the soundstage richer (another thing the Elite doesn't need). But what amazed me today was also the excellent synergy that the PA10 showed with the RU7 and I wouldn't have bet a cent on it. I had thought that the sound would thicken too much, becoming too heavy and instead it simply increased the sound characteristics of the RU7 without any exaggeration... truly an excellent synergy, but for now the best has been the one created with the W4. .. basically opposites attract. More tests to come... obviously I will try it with all my dongles and will update you as I carry them out. What I can say right away is that it is certainly an amplifier that will amaze you with its sound, but also with what it offers based on the cost required (really low).
Thank you, that’s very helpful. Looking forward to hearing more impressions with other dongles.

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #570 of 592

Have you paired with with a dedicated DAC with a normal DAC level output impedance or a true line out from a DAP ?

Curious what your thoughts are.

I paired my PA10 with a couple of dongles just for "proof of concept" when somebody was asking about more affordable sources but usually use it with a DAP via the fixed line out.

I can't say the dongle sounded notably different but I only spent 10 minutes with it, wondering what your observations are, you seem more inclined to put in the time needed to assess than I am :relaxed:

I recall reading on the Cayin RU6 thread that the Cayin rep recommended using nothing more than about 70% volume to keep distortion levels low, seems that would apply to any dongle if it needs to be run essentially full volume to get appropriate output voltage. Also how does the dongle output going into what I imagine is a very high input impedance of the PA10 at full volume effect distortion levels ? I mean an amplifier usually has an input impedance measured in thousands of ohms not the low impedance that the dongle is designed to drive, but I don't know if that matter at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back