Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Feb 27, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #5,451 of 5,840
anyone having an issue with connecting via commander one to the SP2000. worked fine until today. intel based Mac
Well I figured it out. F&^king GARMIN DEVICES. I have had issues with commander one and accessing the Garmin devices if Garmin express was running but never had an issue with Commander one and other MTP devices. Garmin express was not running and had not been started but the watch had been connected to the laptop and was in the room and on. not connected!!

solution power the device off and take it out of the room, cold restart and now it works. FYI if you have Garmin Stuff.

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #5,453 of 5,840
I’m new to this thread so apologies if this is answered earlier and appreciate your advice if you can offer it on the following:

(1) how well/reliably does the SP2000 work as Roon Ready device? - I just got the SP1000M and it’s terrible for Roon, suffering from constant disconnects. But this use case is the one I need most - I’m wondering if the SP2000 dual band results in a stable and reliable connection to the Roon core?

(2) is there any replacement model to the SP2000 coming up on the near term horizon? Given this model has been out for 3+ years I’m wondering whether to wait for the imminent next model or not :wink:

Thanks for any advice!
I'm also interested in how this unit behaves with ROON as an endpoint. Thanks

Mar 2, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #5,454 of 5,840
I'm also interested in how this unit behaves with ROON as an endpoint. Thanks
I hope I can tell you soon.. I never thought this would happen but I'm rejoining team SP2K, specifically for the Roon functionality. :)

I got positive feedback on the Roon functionality from one user whose opinion I value. But also curious and hoping others will chime in.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #5,455 of 5,840
I hope I can tell you soon.. I never thought this would happen but I'm rejoining team SP2K, specifically for the Roon functionality. :)

I got positive feedback on the Roon functionality from one user whose opinion I value. But also curious and hoping others will chime in.
I am very satisfied with the roon ready implementation of my sp1000 and kann alpha. You still require a good wifi signal but any drop outs I doubt are caused by roon. Not a fan but the mqa implementation is also good. I like that the mqa data is shown and not just a highlighted master emblem.

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #5,456 of 5,840
I am very satisfied with the roon ready implementation of my sp1000 and kann alpha. You still require a good wifi signal but any drop outs I doubt are caused by roon. Not a fan but the mqa implementation is also good. I like that the mqa data is shown and not just a highlighted master emblem.

Likewise on my SP1000M. I do find it frustrating that there is no interface for browsing however. Seems kind of odd to have to use a computer to control a portable DAP.

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #5,457 of 5,840
Likewise on my SP1000M. I do find it frustrating that there is no interface for browsing however. Seems kind of odd to have to use a computer to control a portable DAP.
Yes, I was wondering about that. But using a phone or an ipad should be fine I suspect.

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #5,458 of 5,840
Yes, I was wondering about that. But using a phone or an ipad should be fine I suspect.

Or they could whitelist the Roon Remote app, which would be my preference. I have it installed on my SP1000M using the firmware rollback hack and it works just fine alongside the Roon-Ready endpoint, although you need a different launcher (and you have to repeat the "rollback firmware / install Roon and launcher apks / update firmware" process any time there is an update to the Roon apk).

@JasonNYC

Mar 3, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #5,459 of 5,840
Or they could whitelist the Roon Remote app, which would be my preference. I have it installed on my SP1000M using the firmware rollback hack and it works just fine alongside the Roon-Ready endpoint, although you need a different launcher (and you have to repeat the "rollback firmware / install Roon and launcher apks / update firmware" process any time there is an update to the Roon apk).

@JasonNYC
I have been discussing this a lot with the dev teams recently. Part of the issue is that AK players are the first Android OS-based devices to have Roon Ready implementation, so it is fairly new to everyone, including Roon and also the reason it took 2+ years of development to get it right. Roon's own Android remote app is limited. I agree it would be significantly more convenient to have control on the player itself instead of using another device to control. It is being looked into.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 3, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #5,460 of 5,840
I have been discussing this a lot with the dev teams recently. Part of the issue is that AK players are the first Android OS-based devices to have Roon Ready implementation, so it is fairly new to everyone, including Roon and also the reason it took 2+ years of development to get it right. Roon's own Android remote app is limited. I agree it would be significantly more convenient to have control on the player itself instead of using another device to control. It is being looked into.

Thanks for the response! To be clear, the Roon Remote app works fine on my SP1000M, just select the AK "Roon-Ready" endpoint (not the local Android player) as the Audio Zone. It would be much easier to manage if it were white-listed, with no firmware rollback/switching/launcher shenanigans needed. Or, even better, just get rid of the white-list altogether as it's mostly just an aggravation for all, why bother?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back