Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jan 18, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #5,416 of 5,840
SP2000 + Empire Ears Odin = HEAVEN
Geez Wldcohso

I just shelled out for 64Audio U12t's not long after I bought the SP2000 recently. I ummed & ahhhed about the Odins before I did, but 5 large in our money (Australia Tax) was a bit hard to justify after dropping that amount on the SP2000 as well. Now I'm gassing hard for the Odins after your post :wink: I think the Odins are also in my medium-term future in 6 mths or so.

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #5,419 of 5,840
Geez Wldcohso

I just shelled out for 64Audio U12t's not long after I bought the SP2000 recently. I ummed & ahhhed about the Odins before I did, but 5 large in our money (Australia Tax) was a bit hard to justify after dropping that amount on the SP2000 as well. Now I'm gassing hard for the Odins after your post :wink: I think the Odins are also in my medium-term future in 6 mths or so.
So far, I haven't come across any IEM that sounded bad on the SP2K; well, except maybe the Lab-2 but that is a different monster and pain unto itself. The U12t and Odin are very different IEMS, I think you will enjoy both on different occasions with the SP2K.

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #5,420 of 5,840
So far, I haven't come across any IEM that sounded bad on the SP2K; well, except maybe the Lab-2 but that is a different monster and pain unto itself. The U12t and Odin are very different IEMS, I think you will enjoy both on different occasions with the SP2K.

Yep the Odin will be a completely different beast loaded up with electrostatics & dynamics as well the BA's. Looking forward to it.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #5,421 of 5,840
I feel the same. The only iem i find that could work better with something else is Z1R and even then not sure if its sp2000 fault.
U12ts are *extremely* good, certainly a keeper, working great with SP2000.
Im finally getting to hear u12T this friday.
My personal favorite is Mest Indigo. Its got best most realistic imaging i have heard so far and most natural and versatile tuning.
I have spent quite a bit of time with Odin, Phonix, EXT, Nio, Sultan, U18T.. All of them have something they do better than Indigo, i.e. Odin has sharper resolution but tuning is too dry and smaller staging. EXT has best treble i have heard but its mids lack clarity, i has wider staging but not as enveloping 3D show as indigo. Phonix is completely different beast, its just not up my alley, etc.
I will also be hearing Thummim and FiR KR5 is arriving soon. So these might be candidates. But so far nothing offers full package i get from Indigo.

That said. None of these iems i mentioned sounded off, harsh subdued in any way due to source. Old version of Obravo C CU made sp2000 run for its money as i was close to maxing it out on power lol. But its an iem on its own league. And i am hoping to see how the updated new tuning version will work with it soon too.

Best part of this dap though for me is that it comes in. What its not considered a small package haha. Compared to M9, R8, DX300, and im sure upcoming N8II its tiny. I just hope it stays that way in future. Dont want them to go se180 route lol

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #5,422 of 5,840
I feel the same. The only iem i find that could work better with something else is Z1R and even then not sure if its sp2000 fault.
IER-Z1R? Yeah it works better with bigger ears. :wink:
Im finally getting to hear u12T this friday.
My personal favorite is Mest Indigo. Its got best most realistic imaging i have heard so far and most natural and versatile tuning.
I have spent quite a bit of time with Odin, Phonix, EXT, Nio, Sultan, U18T.. All of them have something they do better than Indigo, i.e. Odin has sharper resolution but tuning is too dry and smaller staging. EXT has best treble i have heard but its mids lack clarity, i has wider staging but not as enveloping 3D show as indigo. Phonix is completely different beast, its just not up my alley, etc.
I will also be hearing Thummim and FiR KR5 is arriving soon. So these might be candidates. But so far nothing offers full package i get from Indigo.

That said. None of these iems i mentioned sounded off, harsh subdued in any way due to source. Old version of Obravo C CU made sp2000 run for its money as i was close to maxing it out on power lol. But its an iem on its own league. And i am hoping to see how the updated new tuning version will work with it soon too.

Best part of this dap though for me is that it comes in. What its not considered a small package haha. Compared to M9, R8, DX300, and im sure upcoming N8II its tiny. I just hope it stays that way in future. Dont want them to go se180 route lol
You've probably tried the Traillii? Not in the same vein as the U12t, but IMHO, it's as good as it gets as an all-around IEM on the SP2K.

Nice to see a thriving SP2K crowd even with the SP2KT out and about. I am holding out for the 'true' successor, a real upgrade instead of a side-grade. With no light at the end of the AKM tunnel, perhaps something along the L&P R2R direction I hope!

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #5,423 of 5,840
I bought second hand in japan from e-earphone at osaka. It look horrible on the website. When i look at it in the shop. I knew if i use brasso on it, it will look brand new. Listen to sp1000 sp2000 ss and sp2000 cu. Sp2000 cu much better than rest. Bought it and apply brasso at home. Looks brand new , good buy. Compare to sp1000, sp 1000 vocal sound slightly distorted. Compare to SS, vocal at mid is so much clearer, more detail. My best dap so far , keeper. Of course my hif-fi much better but i cannot bring with me during business trip.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #5,424 of 5,840
I bought second hand in japan from e-earphone at osaka. It look horrible on the website. When i look at it in the shop. I knew if i use brasso on it, it will look brand new. Listen to sp1000 sp2000 ss and sp2000 cu. Sp2000 cu much better than rest. Bought it and apply brasso at home. Looks brand new , good buy. Compare to sp1000, sp 1000 vocal sound slightly distorted. Compare to SS, vocal at mid is so much clearer, more detail. My best dap so far , keeper. Of course my hif-fi much better but i cannot bring with me during business trip.
Congratulations! Though not sure if Brasso is the thing to use, maybe something a little less abrasive? Show some pics of the before and after.

Jan 18, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #5,425 of 5,840
Has anyone observed the white noise from playing high-res music at Apple Music (3.8.0 beta from apkpure) in SP2000 (paired with Noble Katana)?

It's hardly noticeable but I think there is. The background is quiet and clean while playing music on Spotify and Qobuz.

I wonder if there is any software that I can use to show it.I haven
Has anyone observed the white noise from playing high-res music at Apple Music (3.8.0 beta from apkpure) in SP2000 (paired with Noble Katana)?

It's hardly noticeable but I think there is. The background is quiet and clean while playing music on Spotify and Qobuz.

I wonder if there is any software that I can use to show it.
I have not..

Jan 19, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #5,426 of 5,840
I posted this on the EE thread earlier, thought folks might like it too...
SP2K-A100TB-PS100-EEOD-PWOR.jpeg

Some Odin love with my new toys -- the Aroma Audio A100TB+PS100 -- driving the SP2K. Not that either the Odin or SP2K needed the extra juice, and expectedly, though the net SQ gain was in all honesty only incremental; Trifonov on Chopin Piano Concerto No.2 was a breath airier, noise floor a half shade blacker... a tad tighter control on the bass, specks of micro-details here and there on Melody Gardot's Mira and Wayfaring Stranger (Live), there's no denying the overall refinement -- better instruments and space separation, and most notably polishing off the Odin's rough edges, especially the pushy mids and harsh-ish trebles, makes for less fatiguing and all around more enjoyable listening. Odin on weeds, if you will... I like it. 😎

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #5,427 of 5,840
Apple Music has become my preferred streaming service (over Tidal and Qobuz) on SP2k. Best all around in every way (features, playlists, AI, sound quality)
Seriously? Which IEM do you pair with your sp2k while listening AM? I find the background is not dark if your IEM sensitivity is high but Qobuz has no this issue. And what's your AM version?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #5,428 of 5,840
Seriously? Which IEM do you pair with your sp2k while listening AM? I find the background is not dark if your IEM sensitivity is high but Qobuz has no this issue. And what's your AM version?
EE Odin, Traillii, Tia Fourte Noir, ... Apple Music APK version 3.7.2.
To be fair I don't have Solaris or other notoriously hiss-prone IEMs.

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #5,429 of 5,840
Hello, I'm looking to replace my desktop rig with the SP2000. Realizing that the power output cannot power my Abyss headphones, I want to still use my headphone amp when I'm home. For a cable solution - I have the PWaudio 1960s 4.4mm adapter I use normally and thought I'd buy a 4.4mm to dual XLR cable (IFI sells one for $100). I have the Benchmark AHB2 but have not tried the line out feature on the SP2000 yet because it looks like the line out feature disables the volume knob. I was hoping to use the SP2000's volume knob as a pre to control the volume. Is this not possible? @JasonNYC

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #5,430 of 5,840
Has anyone been able to install the Dreamus Windows USB driver and have it connect to the SP2000?

Did you find solution for this?
My windows recognises it as “Digital Output (SP2000)” - but no sound comes out

Edited: never mind. Reinstalled the driver, now its working

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back