Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #4,366 of 5,856
haha but still in general since you have been owning both devices on your memories would 1z (any modifications) be a strong contender to SP2000? or sp2000 much superior?

Its very different tuning as a result, which I did not find to be superior to stock 1z so that would mean no it is not equal or superior to sp2k for sure.

The mods all they do is change the signature and tuning. That may bring new issues or simply totally different sound carachteristics so at end is you like it or not. But I find it made things into the worse direction...

Better stay stock all the way. And sp2k offers a lot of options now. Streaming, roon and local files. That is very hard to beat. And to my ears sp2k is a more balanced and properly tuned signature then 1z. 1z is really a super fun and emotional device.

Mar 19, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #4,367 of 5,856
Its very different tuning as a result, which I did not find to be superior to stock 1z so that would mean no it is not equal or superior to sp2k for sure.

The mods all they do is change the signature and tuning. That may bring new issues or simply totally different sound carachteristics so at end is you like it or not. But I find it made things into the worse direction...

Better stay stock all the way. And sp2k offers a lot of options now. Streaming, roon and local files. That is very hard to beat. And to my ears sp2k is a more balanced and properly tuned signature then 1z. 1z is really a super fun and emotional device.
very interesting! thanks for sharing opinion, appreciate!

Mar 19, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #4,368 of 5,856

@JasonNYC ca​

The player will scan and index all of the tracks in internal memory and microSD card the first few times you turn it on after loading for the first time or loading a lot of music. After the first few starts, it will do a quick scan looking for changes every time it is restarted. This will cause some battery drain as the scanning is going on in the background.

I always recommend if you just added or removed a lot of files on the player is to do a manual media scan, which will force a full scan and index of all tracks at once. This can take 15 - 20 minutes depending on how many files you have on the player.

To perform a manual media scan - Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan.
Jason hi,
can you confirm that AK2000 is playing MQA/DXD/DSD128/256/512 bit perfectly from Roon?

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #4,369 of 5,856
Nice marketing this Roon - to grew dependency in people and then earn money from they. A great mechanism to control mind of people and make statistics. The same nonsense as MQA - clever bussines solution to earn money - resold music which already sold once.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #4,370 of 5,856
Nice marketing this Roon - to grew dependency in people and then earn money from they. A great mechanism to control mind of people and make statistics. The same nonsense as MQA - clever bussines solution to earn money - resold music which already sold once.
Sounds like a conspiracy.

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #4,372 of 5,856
Do I need to enable MQA code decoder with SP2000 ?
I also feel Tidal sounds better through Roon than the app...

Capture.PNG

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #4,373 of 5,856
Can I get some of your input on the appropriate volume level (I am listening to MEST ATM)? I feel like volume 55, which will trigger the volume-too-loud warning, is kind of insufficient.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #4,375 of 5,856
Can I get some of your input on the appropriate volume level (I am listening to MEST ATM)? I feel like volume 55, which will trigger the volume-too-loud warning, is kind of insufficient.
do you have Traillii still? I’m on about 40 with traillii

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #4,376 of 5,856
Do I need to enable MQA code decoder with SP2000 ?
I also feel Tidal sounds better through Roon than the app...

Capture.PNG
SP2000 will do the full decode. Leave roon core decoder off.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #4,377 of 5,856
do you have Traillii still? I’m on about 40 with traillii
Not anymore. 😥 Wish I had it still; should be great with SP2000.

I spent my budget for the little bird on a handbag to my wife. Should prevent her from complaining my audio spending for a while. :)

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #4,378 of 5,856
Not anymore. 😥 Wish I had it still; should be great with SP2000.

I spent my budget for the little bird on a handbag to my wife. Should prevent her from complaining my audio spending for a while. :)
Lol! I know the feeling, man. Happy wife, happy life :D

Hopefully you’ve earned some brownie points to cover you for the next audio purchase!

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #4,379 of 5,856

Hopefully you’ve earned some brownie points to cover you for the next audio purchase!
I hope so! I wish that she would also gift me something nice in the near future. I have expressed my love for the little bird quite explicitly. :smirk:

Just kidding, a new cable would be nice enough.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #4,380 of 5,856

Speaking of this, I could have used my budget for SP2000 towards the little bird. But I really like SP2000’s Roon feature, and based on my listening experience with it since yesterday, I think I have made the right move. :)

The little bird would come. It is just a matter of sequence and time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back