Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Aug 26, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #3,631 of 5,840
You re a fan of Tom, or being sarcastic to others makes you think that you are awsome,and superior, but it only makes you look like an ass?
Whaa.jpg

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #3,633 of 5,840
Hey guys, I have a problem with AK connect. I hope, I’m expecting sth possible. I would like to use my sp2000 as a streamer/dac on my desktop amp. When I try to use AK connect app, it doesn’t see my sp2000. When I try to open my sp2000 ak connect section, it doesn’t see My phone neither. Ak connect already activated on sp2000. iPhone and sp2000 are connected to the same wireless network. What should I do?

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #3,634 of 5,840
Is anyone able to compare the SP2000 with the N6ii/E02 ? I am interested in finding out how much better the A&K may be and whether the sound is thinner/thicker than the E02 board.
SP2000 has a deeper sound stage, EO2 just a tad wider but not much. Listening with Focal Utopia Black Dragon Balanced Cables. Just remember sound is all in your perception . Edit : SP2000 CU, DAC Filter Harmonious.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #3,635 of 5,840
SP2000 has a deeper sound stage, EO2 just a tad wider but not much. Listening with Focal Utopia Black Dragon Balanced Cables. Just remember sound is all in your perception . Edit : SP2000 CU, DAC Filter Harmonious.
Thanks to the reply. That’s interesting that the E02 soundstage is a bit wider. I didn’t expect that. The SP2000 is known for clear sound, excellent separation and great detail retrieval. Is this far better than the E02 do you know? I’m thinking of getting the SP2000 but it would be a blind buy. On the price front I would expect the SP2000 to be much better than N6ii/E02, which I currently own, but I know that things are not always that simple.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #3,636 of 5,840
Also what is the original DAC filter before the update
Sorry for the delay in response. Was told today the filter that was enabled by default before the latest firmware update is the Acoustic Sound - Short Delay, Sharp Roll-Off.

All of our AKM based players (SP2000, SP1000, SP1000M, SA700) use this filter by default.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 27, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #3,637 of 5,840
Thanks to the reply. That’s interesting that the E02 soundstage is a bit wider. I didn’t expect that. The SP2000 is known for clear sound, excellent separation and great detail retrieval. Is this far better than the E02 do you know? I’m thinking of getting the SP2000 but it would be a blind buy. On the price front I would expect the SP2000 to be much better than N6ii/E02, which I currently own, but I know that things are not always that simple.
I will put the E02 back into the N6II and compare some more. Will get back to you. Notice you have Elear by Focal, the closest I have is the Elegia's I can take a listen with those besides Utopia's. What type of music?

Aug 27, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #3,638 of 5,840
I will put the E02 back into the N6II and compare some more. Will get back to you. Notice you have Elear by Focal, the closest I have is the Elegia's I can take a listen with those besides Utopia's. What type of music?
Thanks. I guess the Elegia is closer to the Elear. I did demo the Utopia at the time I bought the Elear and thought they were excellent. Unfortunately they were out of my price range at that point.

Music wise, I listen to a lot of different stuff but for this purpose say; Fleetwood Mac; Pink Floyd; Steely Dan, Dire Straits, that sort of thing.

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #3,639 of 5,840
Sorry for the delay in response. Was told today the filter that was enabled by default before the latest firmware update is the Acoustic Sound - Short Delay, Sharp Roll-Off.

All of our AKM based players (SP2000, SP1000, SP1000M, SA700) use this filter by default.

Thanks Jason! Quick Q: are there plans to roll this out to the SP1000 as well?

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #3,640 of 5,840
This water fall hiss that you said in solaris is really annoying. Only in single ended on sp1000 this iem is listenable for me. I really like solaris. But this hiss. The problem is with low impedance out the solaris dont show all he can do. Less hiss but less rumble and less 3d holographic soundstage.

Hi, I am pairing SP2000 cu with Solaris 2020 (stock cable mmcx + 3.5mm), no hiss at all.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #3,641 of 5,840
Thanks. I guess the Elegia is closer to the Elear. I did demo the Utopia at the time I bought the Elear and thought they were excellent. Unfortunately they were out of my price range at that point.

Music wise, I listen to a lot of different stuff but for this purpose say; Fleetwood Mac; Pink Floyd; Steely Dan, Dire Straits, that sort of thing.
We have same taste in music.
So listening to the Elegia with E02 sounded very up front sound stage very detailed,very thick sounding. Using Surf Cables custom.
SP2000 - About the same in sound stage although seemed to have more space around instruments. Sound stage a bit deeper.
Switching to Utopia's E02 a little more open but still closer to stage.
SP2000- more air around instruments sound stage a little deeper, a bit more width.
Most of the rock selections were pretty close, where I heard a real difference in depth was Mahler's 1st, in the beginning there is a off stage trumpet. The SP2000 sounded as if it was off in the distance ( as it should) the E02 sounded as if it was in the back of orchestra.
Keep in mind this is my personal perspective, you may as well as others hear differently.
To be honest both units sound great and in my honest opinion if I had to do a blind test I probably couldn't tell difference. I love AK sound and I love the SP2000 but the N6ii/E02 comes a close 2nd, although with the N6ii I prefer the T01 as it just has a more airy spacious sound,even though it's older DAC.
Music
Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here ,DSD 256
Pink Floyd- Breathe- 24 bit/192 Vinyl
Flower Kings- Pilgrims Inn- 24 bit/192
Gustav Mahler- Symphony 1
Rush - Vapour Trails-DSD 256

Aug 28, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #3,642 of 5,840
FYI, if you are in the Vancouver, Canada area this weekend, Astell&Kern dealer Headphone Bar is demoing the latest Astell&Kern products from 11 am to 5 pm Friday and Saturday. Products include SR25, SA700, SE200 and SP2000 players and AK T9iE and Layla AION IEMs. Cleaning and sanitizing of demo items and the store will take place throughout the event. They also recommend bringing your own headphones. Please visit their website for additional information on COVID-19 protocols that will be in effect during this event - https://headphonebar.com/.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 28, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #3,645 of 5,840
We have same taste in music.
So listening to the Elegia with E02 sounded very up front sound stage very detailed,very thick sounding. Using Surf Cables custom.
SP2000 - About the same in sound stage although seemed to have more space around instruments. Sound stage a bit deeper.
Switching to Utopia's E02 a little more open but still closer to stage.
SP2000- more air around instruments sound stage a little deeper, a bit more width.
Most of the rock selections were pretty close, where I heard a real difference in depth was Mahler's 1st, in the beginning there is a off stage trumpet. The SP2000 sounded as if it was off in the distance ( as it should) the E02 sounded as if it was in the back of orchestra.
Keep in mind this is my personal perspective, you may as well as others hear differently.
To be honest both units sound great and in my honest opinion if I had to do a blind test I probably couldn't tell difference. I love AK sound and I love the SP2000 but the N6ii/E02 comes a close 2nd, although with the N6ii I prefer the T01 as it just has a more airy spacious sound,even though it's older DAC.
Music
Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here ,DSD 256
Pink Floyd- Breathe- 24 bit/192 Vinyl
Flower Kings- Pilgrims Inn- 24 bit/192
Gustav Mahler- Symphony 1
Rush - Vapour Trails-DSD 256
Thanks for doing that. That’s an interesting comparison and it certainly gives me something to think about. I thought that the SP2000 would be much better, but from what you have said the difference does not seem to be as big as I thought, especially with what you said about probably not being able to tell the difference in a blind test. I would obviously need to have a listen myself to the SP2000 to see which I preferred out of it and N6ii /E02, but your A/B of the two Daps has been really useful. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back