Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Feb 12, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #2,491 of 5,840
1. Yes.
2. Like I have mentioned, you will only get the latest hex file v1.19 backed up. So if there is a future upgrade by AK say v1.20 and you dislike it after upgrading. You can roll back to 1.19 since you have it saved previously.

If you missed the backup for earlier firmware, you will need to find the hex files from others who have done.
do you have tutorial for roll back ? I am not good at computer....

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #2,492 of 5,840
1. Yes.
2. Like I have mentioned, you will only get the latest hex file v1.19 backed up. So if there is a future upgrade by AK say v1.20 and you dislike it after upgrading. You can roll back to 1.19 since you have it saved previously.

If you missed the backup for earlier firmware, you will need to find the hex files from others who have done.
With the amount of people reporting issues with sound quality from previous fw, which AK are aware of if they read this forum. It would help if earlier fw was available to download from AK web site. 1.19 is the first time I have noticed the change and wish I had not gone there, its crap. I know Jason has said many times that AK do not change the sound signature with updates and believed this was the case until now. If the next fw does not fix this issue it renders my SP2K as a rather expensive paperweight. Just frustrated when I think of the thousands of pounds I have given AK since the 120.

Perhaps Jason would care to comment ?

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #2,493 of 5,840
do you have tutorial for roll back ? I am not good at computer....
To roll back, copy your desired firmware version hex file to the root folder of internal storage.
Once USB cable is unplugged from device, there is a prompt for you to reboot to proceed with the firmware installation.
Your settings will be wiped including side-loaded apps and reverted to old firmware.

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #2,494 of 5,840
Just upgrade to 1.19CN
Treble not as hot as before (1.18)
But the magic i heard once 1.13 is not there anymore.
Its sound congested and lost its holographic imaging, slam, dynamic and liquid sound.
Very dissapointing.
What kind of magic did you refer?
You pair with pp8 still kaka @

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,495 of 5,840
i haven’t tested it, but with these last few firmware updates has anyone noticed a change in battery life? Just a wild guess but I could see changes in power management profiles in an effort for better battery life possibly altering the sound while it certainly wouldn’t be intentionally trying to change it. My assumption is it would only alter the cpu and not the DACs or amplification as I’m guessing that side is pretty well consistent depending on the headphones. With the screen off and streaming CD quality or MQA I’d assume it settles down to 1-2 cores depending on how threaded the service is so I’m not expecting the software side to need all that much when in this mode to begin with.

zero proof, wild theory

i’ve got the copper version and if anything lately it’s just been me getting used to new headphones, but I would certainly call the firmwares from last fall magical, listened to so many old albums and was just wowed by this dap.

I had a similar theory that I posted a few pages ago. not exactly, but similar. my guess is that the firmware preferences the CPU. this keeps the software stable. the power demand of the cpu is exceeding what is available which may cause the DAC to be under powered and giving users strange results. could also be that the micro is topped out (can't handle any more code).

I too cited my thoughts as wild theory.

Feb 12, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #2,496 of 5,840
@JasonNYC I ordered the DAP on 19th September and received on 09th October 2019 by FedEx.
the first week of use, the issue appears and I contacted AK support services on November 2019 and inform them about the issue.
they asked me to keep the DAP and take pictures or movies and send them the photo and movies. considering that it could be software / firmware issue. i have the SP1000ss and the SP2000 cu : using them in the same condition int the same places. Never outside or inside I got that kind of issue with the SP1000ss.
I'm in Montréal and I don't think that I'm the only person who have the SP2000 here. considering that we have the same weather, all owners here in Montreal should have the same issue, if it was due to heat or cold.
also I have my phone and all electronics items : none of them shows this issue. my Sony Xperia mobile phone, my iPhone work very well, without none issue.
The support services didn't asked me to send it back to the dealer. Astell & Kern support service was informed on the issu since the beginning. and if until now I still have that dap here it is because of their advice.
what shall I do now ?
AK support service requested for the SP2000cu for investigation. A friend told me that my sp2000cu worked exactely like a prototype version, and I do agree. Better they keep that DAP for research. I think it will reveal more and help to improve the coming versions.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #2,497 of 5,840
@kel77
Hey i'm a little confused, what are you referring to as the root, Is this meaning the main folder you open up in windows browser for sp2000?
sp2000R.png

Once we've copied out a new firmware hex from the root, how do we use it to revert back at a later date?
I would be happier with a 1.18 than a 1.19
So which dap are you replacing your sp2000 ?

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #2,498 of 5,840
So which dap are you replacing your sp2000 ?

I'll see what happens, but thinking of downgrade to free funds.
Ak240 ss + d8000 pro.
Or 240ss + V280 + Arya/1000se
Or 240ss + dynaudio focus 20 xd

Whatever gives the greatest euphoria of which V1.19 lost for technical gain, what a mess!
if they continue production of new units with original 1.10 software, this opens possibilities in future.
Nothing set in stone.

Sp2000+d8000 is a fantastic combo, good synergy. So maybe i just hold out.
Lots of options.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #2,499 of 5,840
I think 1.20 should be release soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #2,502 of 5,840
What do you expect for improvements ?
Return the transparency and Instrumental separation
The timber and detail now is too much smooth

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #2,504 of 5,840
I haven't noticed any change in sq since the recent fw update...
Could someone describe what the change is that they are hearing so I know what to listen for?
Not sure what the motive would be or what is to gain by AK changing the sq via fw update and denying it.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2,505 of 5,840
I haven't noticed any change in sq since the recent fw update...
Could someone describe what the change is that they are hearing so I know what to listen for?
You mean you want to try to find something to hear in order to dislike the dap ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back