Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jan 9, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #2,090 of 5,840
Can someone explain the significance of "ribbon" cable? Are they inherently bad?
Ribbon cables are so very thin and very small, made of Printed OFC traces. They aren’t bad in themselves. They are just ideally for other applications and not Analog Audio performers conductors. In order to utilize the ribbon cables, it has to have ribbon plugs and ribbon receptacles, so more “joins added”. Where as if you were to directly soldering onto the Mainboard, you do not have these extra joins.

For reliability, the usage of wires maybe added, such as Sony devices. But these wires are real Wires, thicker, larger in sizes, then soldered on and not plug and or snapped on. Even each copper traces itself in a Sony Walkman would have a larger and thicker sizes to properly retaining the integrity and quality of analog signals

I brought this up because someone mentioned that upgrading and switching their headphones cables don’t bring much differences. Because there is a Bottle neck inside, the “ribbon cables”.

I was asked, and I would leave this can of worms here.

it look like this VS Sony proper Cables look like this
8812DAEF-112F-411F-9ED7-D0F63D821B5B.jpeg
0CE43EBF-361B-4CB7-AC58-D0884BBF3444.jpeg 1FA69F81-BA55-49D2-A6A6-E9FD3D732EFD.jpeg
This is the link to the tear down of SP2000. You will find those ribbon cables there.

https://fccid.io/QDMPPF33/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photo-4313977

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #2,091 of 5,840
Hi there, I've noticed some issues with Tidal Masters (MQA HiRez) playing on SP2000 via Tidal App (from APKPure) and the same albums downloaded into inner storage. Therefore it makes me think it wasn't the Tidal App drawback.
The problem can be described by hearing some clicks, crackles, etc like echoing sound in soft passages. Has someone got the same experience?
bbea674376a0305a138572de56ab78eb.plist

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #2,092 of 5,840
Ribbon cables are so very thin and very small, made of Printed OFC traces. They aren’t bad in themselves. They are just ideally for other applications and not Analog Audio performers conductors. In order to utilize the ribbon cables, it has to have ribbon plugs and ribbon receptacles, so more “joins added”. Where as if you were to directly soldering onto the Mainboard, you do not have these extra joins.

For reliability, the usage of wires maybe added, such as Sony devices. But these wires are real Wires, thicker, larger in sizes, then soldered on and not plug and or snapped on. Even each copper traces itself in a Sony Walkman would have a larger and thicker sizes to properly retaining the integrity and quality of analog signals

I brought this up because someone mentioned that upgrading and switching their headphones cables don’t bring much differences. Because there is a Bottle neck inside, the “ribbon cables”.

I was asked, and I would leave this can of worms here.

it look like this VS Sony proper Cables look like this

This is the link to the tear down of SP2000. You will find those ribbon cables there.

https://fccid.io/QDMPPF33/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photo-4313977
judging by the sound of the sp2000 I think that ak knows what is doing, is the best sounding actual player (portable)IMO

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #2,093 of 5,840
I bought the clear-plastic SP2000 case off ebay, the one that is selling for $30-ish. Shipping wasn't bad at all, considering it was sent from China. I like the case a lot. Fits great, has a nice/soft texture, so it's easy to pick up, doesn't slide around, etc. And the thinner case at the top of the player makes it a LOT easier to swipe-down for the menu. At least for me, I had a hard time getting the swipe-down to work with the leather case on.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #2,095 of 5,840
I bought the clear-plastic SP2000 case off ebay, the one that is selling for $30-ish. Shipping wasn't bad at all, considering it was sent from China. I like the case a lot. Fits great, has a nice/soft texture, so it's easy to pick up, doesn't slide around, etc. And the thinner case at the top of the player makes it a LOT easier to swipe-down for the menu. At least for me, I had a hard time getting the swipe-down to work with the leather case on.
If you get a chance why not post a picture so we can see the case...

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #2,096 of 5,840
If you get a chance why not post a picture so we can see the case...
This is the case https://s.lazada.sg/s.jguK
They have the cases for a couple of other AK DAP models as well.

I prefer much a leather case or otherwise bare instead. Too bad healing shield is still unavailable for sp2000 to cover the edges.

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #2,097 of 5,840

I prefer much a leather case or otherwise bare instead. Too bad healing shield is still unavailable for sp2000 to cover the edges.
They have one for the SE100, I have the Miter case and it's ok, but with the clear case you can see the back panel which is sharp looking.

Jan 9, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #2,098 of 5,840

Thanks, just ordered one for sP2000 cu and another one for my SP1000+amp combo.

Jan 10, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #2,099 of 5,840
What is the VERY VERY BEST IEM That you can recommend for the SP1000+SP Amp or for SP2000 ?

Indeed, I get fed-up carying and charging my Shure KSE in addition to my DAP.

I understood that now there are even some IEM with some electrostatic drivers inside, which do not need special amp.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #2,100 of 5,840
What is the VERY VERY BEST IEM That you can recommend for the SP1000+SP Amp or for SP2000 ?

Indeed, I get fed-up carying and charging my Shure KSE in addition to my DAP.

I understood that now there are even some IEM with some electrostatic drivers inside, which do not need special amp.
The itch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back