Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Nov 9, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #1,681 of 5,840
Using Sp2000's optical output give also amazing sound quality. But limited 192kb. I hope new firmware solve problem usb connection
I think what you're referring to is 192 kHz sample rate limitation. In the case of the RME, that's due to almost all professional DACs are limited to this sample rate because there's no real necessity in professional use for it being higher. But a 192 kHz sample rate is not a "limitation" in sound quality. It also has no relation to a 192 kbs mp3 file, which would be a limitation in sound quality.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,682 of 5,840
I think what you're referring to is 192 kHz sample rate limitation. In the case of the RME, that's due to almost all professional DACs are limited to this sample rate because there's no real necessity in professional use for it being higher. But a 192 kHz sample rate is not a "limitation" in sound quality. It also has no relation to a 192 kbs mp3 file, which would be a limitation in sound quality.

Yes. You is right.
It is really that I mentioned 192kHz which is limitation of optical cable. Both SP2000 & RME ADI 2 have higher specs. I hope Ak team solve problem usb connection so that I can listen some DSD files beyond optical transfer capacity

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #1,683 of 5,840
Using Sp2000's optical output give also amazing sound quality. But limited 192kb. I hope new firmware solve problem usb connection
Did you try change the settings in madiface ?

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,684 of 5,840

@bsphong

from my 2 cents, when you want to digital out as a transport toward your external DAC....use SPDIF on the Dx160. I still can’t make dx160 to DOP64X yet, but the Dx220 is doing it wonderful
I tried both Instances, USB vs SPDIF, and the SPDIF is superior. Unless you are trying to do USB Out directly with DSD128 or higher, and under which cases, you should not use portable devices as the mean of transport.

the Dx220 and Dx200 are both very valuable to me as it can do DOP64X over SPDIF in either Coax or Optical. I will suggest you to do Optical if you can, unless you can invest into a properly done and at quality Coax from 3.5mm into BNC....which I haven’t seen any....unless you DIY

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,686 of 5,840
@bsphong

from my 2 cents, when you want to digital out as a transport toward your external DAC....use SPDIF on the Dx160. I still can’t make dx160 to DOP64X yet, but the Dx220 is doing it wonderful
I tried both Instances, USB vs SPDIF, and the SPDIF is superior. Unless you are trying to do USB Out directly with DSD128 or higher, and under which cases, you should not use portable devices as the mean of transport.

the Dx220 and Dx200 are both very valuable to me as it can do DOP64X over SPDIF in either Coax or Optical. I will suggest you to do Optical if you can, unless you can invest into a properly done and at quality Coax from 3.5mm into BNC....which I haven’t seen any....unless you DIY

Thanks very much for your comments
It is only my curiosity. Sp2000 is very expensive with splendid specs. But it is regret if some necessary features not working effectively. Especially when comparing with Ibasso Dx220 that there are plenty of connections working excellently

Sp2000 has not coaxial. Ibasso Dx220 has both coaxial & optical which give audio output comparable with Sp2000 in SPDIF aspect.
Ak SP2000 is super detail, very wide soundstage, layer is excellent. But combo Ibasso Dx220 - amp9 is warmer, more analogue, and with my ear, Dx220 is punchier than SP2000 Cu
That is reason why I still keep Dx220 although owning SP2000.
I'll contact my local DIY making friend for coaxial adapter. Hope he can create that adapter :)

Bests

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #1,687 of 5,840
Thanks very much for your comments
It is only my curiosity. Sp2000 is very expensive with splendid specs. But it is regret if some necessary features not working effectively. Especially when comparing with Ibasso Dx220 that there are plenty of connections working excellently

Sp2000 has not coaxial. Ibasso Dx220 has both coaxial & optical which give audio output comparable with Sp2000 in SPDIF aspect.
Ak SP2000 is super detail, very wide soundstage, layer is excellent. But combo Ibasso Dx220 - amp9 is warmer, more analogue, and with my ear, Dx220 is punchier than SP2000 Cu
That is reason why I still keep Dx220 although owning SP2000.
I'll contact my local DIY making friend for coaxial adapter. Hope he can create that adapter :)

Bests
So the DX220 sounds better , can do everything , connect to everything , but you went and bought another day because ?

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #1,688 of 5,840
So the DX220 sounds better , can do everything , connect to everything , but you went and bought another day because ?
Dear Jmills8

I said each of them has its advantages & disadvantages.
I think almost of audiophiles owning more one combo DAPs, earphones, cables for their enjoy experiences.
I owning both Sp2000 Cu & Ibasso Dx220. Which I will listen depending on my mood. And sometime I use these DAPs as audio source connect to external DAC-AMP for listening full-sizes. Sp2000 is expensive but have no coaxial output & usb connection is unstable. Ibasso Dx220 do better.

Hope you understand

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #1,690 of 5,840
Can i use usb Output on DX 220 to external DAC ?
Yes. You can connect Dx220 to external DACs via usb connection.
You must have otg type C. And neutron or Onkyo hf players should be installed. Hirby free app support usb output too
In my experience. Sp2000& Dx220 run smoothly with Marantz NA11S1, dx220 has a bit noise with RME, but sp2000 has no signal output with RME

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #1,691 of 5,840
Dear Jmills8

I said each of them has its advantages & disadvantages.
I think almost of audiophiles owning more one combo DAPs, earphones, cables for their enjoy experiences.
I owning both Sp2000 Cu & Ibasso Dx220. Which I will listen depending on my mood. And sometime I use these DAPs as audio source connect to external DAC-AMP for listening full-sizes. Sp2000 is expensive but have no coaxial output & usb connection is unstable. Ibasso Dx220 do better.

Hope you understand
Yes, definitely agreed about that. Simply because there is no such thing as perfection in the world :)

Nov 12, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #1,692 of 5,840
After spending a little while with the device i want to bring to attention something that i don't see others mention, that i strongly dislike about the ergonomics of this DAP. How utterly stupid the volume wheel is!

Due to the diamond shape and the degree to which the volume wheel angles both inwards towards the body and outward, you're left with a tiny contact patch being the very rough edge point. Despite the edge being as rough as it is, the contact patch is so small that you get very little grip. Similar can be said for the face of the 'diamond wheel', which is slick and doesn't provide much grip.
As a result, you're left with a volume wheel that doesn't function very well as a volume wheel. It becomes sore to use after a period of time and doesn't grip very well. I often find myself using two fingers to twist it, as opposed to using my thumb.
As you can see in he picture, the volume wheel angles inwards and outwards leaving a single point of contact. To sacrifice the functionality and usability of one of the main components. Very disappointing.

sb9jjT9.jpg
Not only do i think it would look better, but it would be much more usable if it didn't angle in towards the body but stayed level giving a greater contact area. Even the sp1000 had a smoothed off corner/edge.......
This is audio equipment not jewelry, Astell and Kern. @JasonNYC

Edit: i think i will try and diy a piece of rubber band that fits tightly around the edge and offers both grip/comfort.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back