Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Sep 1, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #661 of 5,840
How are people getting the SP2000 early?

So far most of the SP2k posts I have seen on HF/FB are from Vietnam, maybe they are getting it first :wink:

Sep 1, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #663 of 5,840
I want to clear up this misunderstanding, Tumyum in his impressions never suggest that the SP2000 is the same as the Kann Cube. I see this impressions got repeated several times in the last few pages and that is not true. I was with Tumyum when we first listened to both the SP2000 and the Kann Cube. The SP2000 is a level or two above the Cube. Even after the “Meet your Maker” event in Vegas, He is still of the opinion that the SP2000 is better. I know this because we talked on the phone during and after the event and he is buying a SP2000ss over the Cube. I am still of the impressions that the SP2000 is one of the the best dap right now along with my WM1Z they are very musical. The following weeks and months will bear that out as more SP2000 impressions comes out. I have expressed these views in prior posts but want to be clear.

With regard to the DMP-1Z I think it has a refined/highend sound and probably one of the best in its class. I probably will buy the next version if Sony will increase the amp power and put in the AKM4499eq in it. But based on my listening it may not out perform th SP2000. Again future consensus will bear that out for now it is just my opinions based on my personal experience.

As for Chord I own the Mojo, Hugo, and listened to TT/TT2 and Dave multiple times. Chord’s sound is good if it fit you personal preference but it doesn’t have a personality for me. That is why Chord put in different sound signature in Hugo2.

Just as I do not agree that wm1z is one the best..your opinion is just as subjective as others. You really cannot decide until you actually
try it youself. Non-transferrable warranty doesnt help in this respect. 2nd hand device to try will have no warranty.

Sep 1, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #664 of 5,840
Just as I do not agree that wm1z is one the best..your opinion is just as subjective as others. You really cannot decide until you actually
try it youself. Non-transferrable warranty doesnt help in this respect. 2nd hand device to try will have no warranty.
May I ask which WM1Z is not one of the best?

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #665 of 5,840
I think that's the thing with forums. A lot is to be taken with a pinch of salt. Sometimes need to read between the lines or try get a feel for what someone is expressing.

And for this thread with a piece of kit not even released (except the few now in Vietnam) everyone has been gagging for any sort of details. So hats off to those that went to shows and tried to help with some of their thoughts on what they heard.

It is nice to read others opinions and thoughts on what they hear or like. If 1000 people say it is bassy and 5 say it isn't I will probably go into an audition of it with that pre-judgment. I wouldn't let it sway me though. If I like the sound I will buy it.

Anyway, each to their own and all that......If everyone heard the same life would be very boring.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #666 of 5,840
I think that's the thing with forums. A lot is to be taken with a pinch of salt. Sometimes need to read between the lines or try get a feel for what someone is expressing.

And for this thread with a piece of kit not even released (except the few now in Vietnam) everyone has been gagging for any sort of details. So hats off to those that went to shows and tried to help with some of their thoughts on what they heard.

It is nice to read others opinions and thoughts on what they hear or like. If 1000 people say it is bassy and 5 say it isn't I will probably go into an audition of it with that pre-judgment. I wouldn't let it sway me though. If I like the sound I will buy it.

Anyway, each to their own and all that......If everyone heard the same life would be very boring.
If they keep it and use it for more than a year , then its worth buying.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #667 of 5,840
TBH with all the power in the CCUbe AK shoudl have done a 4DAC config and blew it out of the park... I believe the 50K Sen HE1 has 8 ESS... 4/channel.

this is the only way we are going to see a level up here not just 2 dacs from another chip mfg.

or a new FPGA implementation from Chord or someone else.

The PS Audio FPGA chap should do a DAP... he is ex microsoft and better understands OTA updates. PS audio directstream has basically become a neew DAC 5 times in its history... no CHord has ever received an update.

The best Daps of the future will be FPGA based and get upgrades... extending their lives 3 to 4 years. Only Chord is playing the FPGA DAP game currently.... room for someone to come in and create a new platform here.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #674 of 5,840
SS. I heard the copper tarnishes over time and Ive been told sound differences between the two are heavily mythologized.
You dont want to rub your unit every now and then ?

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #675 of 5,840
You dont want to rub your unit every now and then ?

Another bate, my friend? You are such a master of it :D

@raelamb I don't know who told you about the difference being a mythology, but have you tried it yourself? A company, such as A&K, wouldn't make two identically designed and priced units with different chassis material just for aesthetic appeal. Of course, there will be people who will hear a difference as more subtle or more pronounced, depending on their hearing level or headphones/earphones they are using. But it will be an individual opinion, and tbh you have to be the final judge with your own ears, your own headphones, and your own type of music when you are doing a true side-by-side comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back