Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Sep 16, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #5,252 of 5,840
I doubt it Is a hardware/cable issue. People have reported the same problem with the m1 Mac Mini.

Please see the quote below from the SE200 thread.

@Tristy According to the dev and QA teams, it looks like the issue is with the USB-C cables used to connect the SE200 to the M1-based Mac. The M1-based Macs have very tight tolerances for cables and any cables even slightly out of spec will cause issues.

I do not have a list of cables that have been tested to be fully compatible with AK players and M1 Macs. They are still testing further and will update once I have more info. I assume you probably already tried a few different cables.

AK will switch over to including USB-C to USB-C cables in early 2022 that will meet spec and be fully compatible.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #5,255 of 5,840
It should be an Apple issue with Android. I was not able to connect my Samsung phone to the M1 mac as well.
Apparently not according to @JasonNYC and the R&D team.

“ AK will switch over to including USB-C to USB-C cables in early 2022 that will meet spec and be fully compatible.”
?? AK already use USB-C cables.

I think he’s referring to the cable that comes with the devices, currently it’s a usb-c to usb-a.

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #5,256 of 5,840
I heard sp2000 is now in end of production status ...is it true?

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #5,258 of 5,840
Thanks for the information on the M1 chip issues. I know when I upgraded to Big Sur on my non m1 chip MacBook Pro I had a few issues with docks and 8817 chipsets for networks. long story short Big Sur requires updated drivers to work with USB. Apple told the world that they were doing this and gave them 18 months or so to get it working. no one did anything. then Big Sur happened and tons of stuff would not work. mostly resolved now for non m1 chipsets but sounds like the m1 adds more wrinkles.

couple of stupid ideas that may be worth a check.

1. Not all usb c cables are created equally. Make sure the cable is a Thunderbolt USB c cable. the cable will be a little thicker than usual and will be branded with a lighting bolt on the cable end. see pic below

2. try using a apple branded USB adapter. these things do have some magic in them. Try a usb c to usb a. connect the sp2000 to the usb a end.

IMG_2260.jpg

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #5,259 of 5,840
AFT does not work with M1 Mac and AK. Neither does File Commander.

Good luck doing this 😂 been trying to use my SE200 as a USB DAC and to transfer files on my M1 MacBook for months. No fix has been given by AK yet but @JasonNYC has been requesting it routinely. Apparently it’s due to the tight tolerances of the usb c slots on the M1 MacBooks but it worked absolutely fine on my 2017 MacBook Pro. I’ve tried 6 cables with no luck….
I also had tons of trouble usb-c'ing my 3MAX to M1 macbook (aka never got it to work); M1 does not have a friendly hardware/OS for file transferring. Hope this gets resolved soon since I am peeping the SP2000kt, but I do have a busted PC I keep just for moments like these lol.

I heard sp2000 is now in end of production status ...is it true?
Wouldn't be surprised, given that AKM said they are done with 4499 chips I believe. This does pave the way for a SP3000 eventually though, maybe in like 2029 :joy:

Sep 16, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #5,260 of 5,840
Thanks for the information on the M1 chip issues. I know when I upgraded to Big Sur on my non m1 chip MacBook Pro I had a few issues with docks and 8817 chipsets for networks. long story short Big Sur requires updated drivers to work with USB. Apple told the world that they were doing this and gave them 18 months or so to get it working. no one did anything. then Big Sur happened and tons of stuff would not work. mostly resolved now for non m1 chipsets but sounds like the m1 adds more wrinkles.

couple of stupid ideas that may be worth a check.

1. Not all usb c cables are created equally. Make sure the cable is a Thunderbolt USB c cable. the cable will be a little thicker than usual and will be branded with a lighting bolt on the cable end. see pic below

2. try using a apple branded USB adapter. these things do have some magic in them. Try a usb c to usb a. connect the sp2000 to the usb a end.

I will give the adapter a try in the morning but I have tried a fairly expensive Anker thunderbolt 3 cable with no luck. This is what I used in my older model.

Sep 17, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #5,261 of 5,840
I will give the adapter a try in the morning but I have tried a fairly expensive Anker thunderbolt 3 cable with no luck. This is what I used in my older model.
did a little more brainstorming to see if I could come up with some other ideas. did a little looking at the m1 chip setup and the more I read the more I dont like. the m1 chip does not support a key intel Mac feature called bootcamp. bootcamp allows you to run windows on a Mac in a separate partition.

the adapter is am suggesting should theoretically dumb the connection down to usb A type connection and then allow data to be passed via a data transfer capable USB A cable. it will be slow, but should work allow a connection to the AK. Hope this works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back