Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jun 30, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #376 of 5,840
Will it be that difficult for someone to replace the 2.5 mm with the 4.4 mm balanced ( assuming they want to take the risk ).
I know, it will involve few things, including drilling larger hole in the body to accommodate the new jack.

By the look of internal pictures on both SP2000 and Cube. The Cube is possible, but the SP2000 would require too much works, and higher risk of bricking the 3.5k device...not to mention being impossible.

The 2 mains problems for SP2000 is

1/ no space to spare either on the chassis or the main board

2/ daughterboard connections

If I was to aim for 4.4mm, then I would definitely buy an adapter instead of looking for Modifications

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #378 of 5,840
Really loving the SP2000 :L3000::ksc75smile:
8E738F1C-0A8B-49AA-B815-1BE48C3B6118.jpeg

But goodness me they need to really get a 4.4 Balanced jack on their products soon. Whether they want to admit it or not - its just more sturdy.
I'm nervous as heck using thick headphone cables with malnourished 2.5mm balanced jacks

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #379 of 5,840
That Is interesting to hear about DMP to sound “thinner”

Appreciate this. I still love my astell Kern ak 100 ii. Will I notice a difference in sound enjoyment?

It still doesn’t matter, what most matters is at the heart of the foundations, the implementations and the components being used. Every resistors and capacitors, even PCB traces and it characteristic impedance are playing a role at the sound performances.

Sound is subjective, just because sound in itself is “noises”...so being able to suppress noises doesn’t always equal to better performances....case in example is that Casette hisses or reel decks...even LP surface noises...etc....people still enjoying it. Here I am not going to say who is right and who is wrong about enjoying their music and the devices that they are going to purchases.

So, the foundation of digital audio is to convert binary 1 and 0 into analog string of signals that is mimicking sinuous waves. As we all already known, after each conversion steps, there will be degenerations and inaccuracies, and this is why accuracies and degenerations need to be minimized at this very last step of conversion from Digital and back to Analog. For each resistors, capacitors...etc...they will all be adding noises and or taking away information on their own (filtering). The latest technology and developments of electronic components is to minimize surface mounting piezoelectric (which brings jitters and of which your devices would need PLL or some feed back comparators to negate). This is the beginning of digital to analog music reproductions again, and these components are still at early stage, expensive, and limited in ranges of application. For technicalities and seeing internal pictures alone, the DMP is built like nothing else ever before and with each corner is polished for music and performances.

The point is that, you can use a Ferrari engine in a corolla and make it run, but doesn’t mean that you can have a Ferrari....however, you can use a Camry engine in a race car, and make it a Race car....Lotus Elise....so...does DAC alone is the matter ? That is for you to decide

After all, listen by your ears, and heart, and not your brain, or eyes....and definitely don’t ever let the pocket limitation be in your way

So now, back to listening, I am always interested in testing out other gears, and for that said....I have never encountered a weighty note from any devices EXCEPT “Chord and Sony”, beside that “questyle audio and Cayin N8” is close...but I have not heard SP2000, so I can not judge. I will try to Demo one SP2000 one day whenever it comes
I actually played with the N8 several times and one time actually with Andy from Cayin at the DMA store and was told about the black N8 prior to its release. I like to listen to vocal and some classical. I did like the 4.4 out of the N8 and wish the tube amp has more power but having the tube alternative is a real plus for the N8. Design and looks matter after sound. I was chatting with Michael (Mimoulle) at one point about new dap and I suggested the N8 and he jokingly said that he could not get over the look of he N8. I did have thoughts of buying the N8 at one time.

For some reason I think the new AKM dac is less clinical over the previous version and that seem to make a difference in my preference. It seems to be more immersive and it might not strictly due to the new dac alone. It may be a combination of the new dac and the increased amp power. Again it was a show audition and I will have to go back and try again to see if my reaction hold true.

I went to Socal Can Jam actually with the goal of checking out the Khan Cube and it did not disappoint, but the SP2000 was a surprise. Three days after my audition with all the gears at Can Jam, only the sound of the SP2000 still rings in my mind now the rest have faded. Very interesting. Must go back and try the SP2000 again to see if it still wow me as the first reaction. But I will buy the Khan Cube, it is the best value given its spec. I really wish AK will include 4.4 in both daps just like the new Fiio M11.

Jul 9, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #381 of 5,840
Jul 10, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #383 of 5,840
Jason can you please provide some clarity? Seems like a lot of conflicting news. Thank you.

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #385 of 5,840
What benefits this“Current Output Architecture” technology brings to the DAP?

Something that i could actually hear?

Do other DAPs have this new technology??

The balanced output seems to bring a more distorted and less cleaner sound than SP1000 (according to specs)...any official statement about this?

Regards

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #387 of 5,840
Ok ok ok ok
This thread should be on fire ,what are sq impressions,, there r sp2000 out there,,
Specifically sq impressions versus sp1000
Yes know subjective but what r the early reports??
Cheers[/QUOTE
I think I only saw 2 impression post in this forum it's pretty strange .............but if astell &kern want to send me a demo unit I would love to post my impression =)

Jul 15, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #388 of 5,840
Ok ok ok ok
This thread should be on fire ,what are sq impressions,, there r sp2000 out there,,
Specifically sq impressions versus sp1000
Yes know subjective but what r the early reports??
Cheers

SP2000 is still not released. Impressions are from CanJam/Hifi Fair demos.

Jul 15, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #389 of 5,840
I think if there were any impressions on here they would be full ot s**t because it's been bumped back. I pre-ordered a silver one in May and the release date was supposed to be today but I'm hearing end of July, August 15th and even September. I'm sure its beguiling even for Jason but would love some up to date info here if possible. I have the SE-100 which I love but my 2.5 balanced output is cutting in and out and I was told they would have to send it to Korea for repair and I can't live without AnK for 3 weeks:frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back