Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
May 13, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #3,245 of 5,840
I've really been enjoying the SP2000 a lot. Last night I started getting a strange issue where the sound is cutting in and out. I did a factory reset, but the problem is still there. I'm wondering if the 2.5mm jack is actually coming loose. I've only had it for a few months and I'm not putting undue strain on it.

It doesn't seem like the jack though. The issue isn't affected by movement. A track starts out fine but then it starts to stutter, and then there is no sound. Sometimes the playback progress indicator is going, and sometimes it completely stops. When it stops, pressing play/pause doesn't affect it.

Has anyone had this kind of problem?

What is procedure like for sending the unit in for repair at AK. Do they have a service center in the U.S.?

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #3,247 of 5,840
I've really been enjoying the SP2000 a lot. Last night I started getting a strange issue where the sound is cutting in and out. I did a factory reset, but the problem is still there. I'm wondering if the 2.5mm jack is actually coming loose. I've only had it for a few months and I'm not putting undue strain on it.

It doesn't seem like the jack though. The issue isn't affected by movement. A track starts out fine but then it starts to stutter, and then there is no sound. Sometimes the playback progress indicator is going, and sometimes it completely stops. When it stops, pressing play/pause doesn't affect it.

What is procedure like for sending the unit in for repair at AK. Do they have a service center in the U.S.?

Thanks!

Never had an issue with mine on latest 1.22CN. Does this happen only on PCM (at what sample rates?), MQA (at what sample rates) or DSD (single, 2x, 4x, 8x)?

AK has service center at Irvine, CA but because of Covid, they might be working remotely from home. Contact @JasonNYC for support

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #3,248 of 5,840

Thanks!

I had a similar issue with 2.5mm jack finally losing out sound on left channel when I had the sp1000.
You can contact AK USA located in Irvine, CA to send the device to them for a repair. They could even
offer you a loaner while your device is being repaired with a deposit. Not recall exactly but it took
closer to 3 weeks if not more.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #3,249 of 5,840

Thanks!
Try with another cable. If it happens as well then your balanced jack has a problem. I had the AK240 up till SP2000. The finicky jack only happened on AK240.

May 13, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #3,250 of 5,840
For US/Canadian customers, you would contact our US offices in Irvine, CA. Due to mandatory office closures in Orange County, CA, we are all working from home. You can call our support number, leave a message and a support member will return you call or you can email our support team.

We currently are doing no repairs in the US and shipping everything for repair to our headquarters in Korea. Average turnaround time is 2 weeks, but due to COVID-19, we are experiencing delays in customs clearance, so we are saying around 3 - 4 week, but in some cases they are coming back a lot sooner. Our support team is taking turns coming into the office for a few hours a couple of times a week to process RMA shipments and come in on delivery date to receive the repaired units back and ship back out to customer.

North America support info - https://us.astellnkern.com/pages/contact-us

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 13, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #3,252 of 5,840
For US/Canadian customers, you would contact our US offices in Irvine, CA. Due to mandatory office closures in Orange County, CA, we are all working from home. You can call our support number, leave a message and a support member will return you call or you can email our support team.

We currently are doing no repairs in the US and shipping everything for repair to our headquarters in Korea. Average turnaround time is 2 weeks, but due to COVID-19, we are experiencing delays in customs clearance, so we are saying around 3 - 4 week, but in some cases they are coming back a lot sooner. Our support team is taking turns coming into the office for a few hours a couple of times a week to process RMA shipments and come in on delivery date to receive the repaired units back and ship back out to customer.

North America support info - https://us.astellnkern.com/pages/contact-us

Thank you for the information Jason. I contacted the US office and they were quick to reply and asked me detailed questions to troubleshoot. After a round of testing today, I found that the problem is isolated to processing my local files whether from the SD Card or internal memory. Streaming Tidal Flac files works flawlessly without any stuttering or sound cutting out. The issue happens during playback of any local album/track, all of which played perfectly well these past few months.

I am relieved to find that it wasn't the jack as it would've undermined my confidence in what I thought was sterling build quality.

My concern now is that if I send it back AK engineers will not be able to reduplicate the issue. Earlier today the problem was severe, but it has now disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared.

May 13, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #3,254 of 5,840
I've verified that this an issue with local DSD512 files, whether stored on SD card or internally.

Redbook PCM playback is perfectly smooth. DSD512 files now takes several seconds to load, then sputter, sound cutting in and out for a few seconds and then it stops playing. Sometimes the progress indicator gets stuck. Sometimes it keeps going with no sound and the sound will come in for fractions of a second intermittently.

I just started getting new errors on screen that say that "AKMusic isn’t responding. Do you want to close it?”

There are about 800 DSD512 files. They all played fine these past three months. I’ve checked the SD card and the files. All are fine and if I transfer the SDCard the DSD512 files play perfectly on other devices.

I’m completely baffled. Has anyone else had issues with DSD512 playback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back