Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jan 20, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #2,252 of 5,840
"We do not change the sound profile on our players via firmware update as people purchase our players based on a sound profile. All sound tuning is done on the hardware level. This has always been our policy since we launched our first player 7+ years ago"

He did not claim that the sound does not change, only that they do not change the sound profile via firmware update. Maybe it is an unintentional change as i see it happening on other manufacturers dap's during firmware.
I can't say i'm enjoying the sound any less.

Jason, i would appreciate some acknowledgment in relation to the issue of accidental volume control increase and subsequent risk of injury, hearing damage. Consider discussing the implementing of a way for users to set a maximum allowable volume limit.
Thank you

I recall vaguely that when the AK380 cu was first at shows, there was a notable sound difference that subsequently disappeared and became a much more subtle difference. This was because the AK380 cu at shows was running a different firmware. Then A&K said all their metal finishes sounded the same ,but sometimes acknowledged the copper version would sound better. The big problem with audio is that the brain is so easily fooled that you can pretty much convince yourself of anything. Lets not get started on the track where different cases for the DAP make it sound different too! We are dealing with such minutia in changes IMO and I am convinced if there are genuine sound changes, then they are not intentional. Every Sony firmware, the sound supposedly changes yet this is never a listed change in the release notes. Are all DAP manufacturers missing something everytime they change the firmware or is this all in our head?

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #2,253 of 5,840
@JasonNYC, I was first skeptical about a sound change on my SP2K after the latest FW update but it does sound different to my ears. It’s a positive sound change from what I’m hearing.
It depends on the headphones.
With IEM of Astell&Kern Layla II, in my opinion, it's a negative change.
With 1.16 (or 1.13) version of firmware on the SP2000SS was fantastic distance and the sense of space.
Now the sound is too much inside my head.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #2,254 of 5,840
I am on 1.13cm and very very happy with the sound, clean, dynamic, fast, airy, spacious, musical but not clinical, intimate. It is every thing I want and dream for and exactly what wow me when I first hear the SP2K at Can Jam. I cannot find any reason to improve on the sound that is why I didn’t upgrade to 1.16. I have the Sony WM1z and every time when there is a new fw something is always difference but with Sony, one can always roll back to the version one likes. AK is different. You cannot go back to a previous version, so upgrading from a version you like is risking everything and every reason you own the SP2K. I will not do it until I hear the new sound from dealer and know that I like it. Otherwise, I will hate myself for loosing what I have and hate AK even more.

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2,255 of 5,840
I am on 1.13cm and very very happy with the sound, clean, dynamic, fast, airy, spacious, musical but not clinical, intimate. It is every thing I want and dream for and exactly what wow me when I first hear the SP2K at Can Jam. I cannot find any reason to improve on the sound that is why I didn’t upgrade to 1.16. I have the Sony WM1z and every time when there is a new fw something is always difference but with Sony, one can always roll back to the version one likes. AK is different. You cannot go back to a previous version, so upgrading from a version you like is risking everything and every reason you own the SP2K. I will not do it until I hear the new sound from dealer and know that I like it. Otherwise, I will hate myself for loosing what I have and hate AK even more.
This massage should be included in the first post of this thread!

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #2,256 of 5,840
This massage should be included in the first post of this thread!
Thank you so much for giving my comment such high regard. Now that I think about it. When I listen to my SP2K-1.13 the music does not just go to my head, it go straight to my heart (try Kenny Roger’s Gambler). And if AK doesn’t change the practice of not allowing users going back to a previous fw version, then my SP2K will immediately appreciate in value. I will sell my SP2K-1.13 for $4,000.00, nah, may be $5,000.00, no not even at that price if mine is the only 1.13 around. See what I mean, I will buy another SP2K for the new version instead of upgrade because who knows, someone may want to buy mine for 10K down the road. Thank you AK:kissing_heart:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #2,257 of 5,840

The sound of firmware 1.13 and 1.16 is the same. A different is only 1.18.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #2,260 of 5,840
Just upated my sp2k cu to v1.18, there is definitely a difference in sound I can hear more details but less bass.

On the SP2000SS is completely otherwise.
More bass and less air.
Haha. Isn´t there also a special "black" edition available for the SP2k? If so, you owners, be aware, the new firmware might give you less details AND less bass (or was it the other way round)? :wink:

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #2,261 of 5,840
Thank you so much for giving my comment such high regard. Now that I think about it. When I listen to my SP2K-1.13 the music does not just go to my head, it go straight to my heart (try Kenny Roger’s Gambler). And if AK doesn’t change the practice of not allowing users going back to a previous fw version, then my SP2K will immediately appreciate in value. I will sell my SP2K-1.13 for $4,000.00, nah, may be $5,000.00, no not even at that price if mine is the only 1.13 around. See what I mean, I will buy another SP2K for the new version instead of upgrade because who knows, someone may want to buy mine for 10K down the road. Thank you AK:kissing_heart:
Thanks for the Kenny Roger music tipp. Only, I won't be listening to it with the SP2k :wink:

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2,262 of 5,840
Yeah i remember 1.13cm, was good time, was clean, impactful, liquid, technical.
now with latest firmware feel flatter, not as clean as 1.13, imaging more blurry, feels like new firmware decrease the power and sound impact. Im sorry to say but its sound as cheap as mid tier dap.
now i feel like selling my sp2kss.
@JasonNYC

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #2,263 of 5,840
Yeah i remember 1.13cm, was good time, was clean, impactfull, liquid, technical.
now with latest firmware feel falter, not as clean as 1.13, imaging more blurry, feels like new firmware decrease the power and sound impact. Im sorry to say but its sound as cheap as mid tier dap.
now i feel like selling my sp2kss.
@JasonNYC
Exactly! Now (1.18) SP2000SS sounds like many other DAPs at the market :frowning2:
In my opinion 1.13 = 1.16 in terms of sound.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #2,264 of 5,840
I will stay with my new SP2000 SS on FW 1.00 until the problem is solved with 1.18. I experienced these issues with FW-Updates on AK380 too but not with SP1000...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back