Astell&Kern new flagship A&Ultima SP2000
Jan 17, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #2,206 of 5,840
I'm done with Yes.... For me the last great album was Drama. I saw a video of them live with the dream team (Wakeman, Howe, Anderson, Squire, etc at Montreux and they sounded horrendous....
Sorry to hear that. Who is your Prog goto these days?

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #2,207 of 5,840
Sorry to hear that. Who is your Prog goto these days?
Mostly these days I like ambient, Harold Budd, etc
also really getting into Jah Wobble The most underrated bassist in music.

Jan 18, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #2,208 of 5,840
In regards to aforementioned tracks;
Hans Zimmer - Mesa 16/44 WAV. With Andromeda set to 85 single ended (i hope you guys don't listen this loud) i was able to identify some artifacts. it's very subtle.
Shai Maestro - The Dream Thief 24/96 WAV, nothing that i can identify.

As for sound change, i thought i may have heard a change but i don't believe in it unless i can side by side test and perceive something consistently.
Side by side players has potential issue of product variation.

Edit: Woops, had EQ from Xelento's. Okay, without EQ it is very noticeable clicking on Mesa but seems to be happening inconsistently. Listening at 65

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #2,209 of 5,840
It's very peculiar as it's not that you can identify this artifacts on many other albums. I've tried yesterday to find more examples with no luck. Altough I confirm it can be heard on Shai Maestro example which @arstango pointed out but it's more subtle. It's possible that these are errors that are in the recordings themselfes that only SP2000 picks up for some reason.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #2,210 of 5,840
It's very peculiar as it's not that you can identify this artifacts on many other albums. I've tried yesterday to find more examples with no luck. Altough I confirm it can be heard on Shai Maestro example which @arstango pointed out but it's more subtle. It's possible that these are errors that are in the recordings themselfes that only SP2000 picks up for some reason.
but then everyone should hear these errors on exactly the same time, right? Which is, as far as I read, not the case.

Jan 18, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #2,211 of 5,840
SQ has definitely changed !!!!...AK Alex should not pretend they didn't make changes on sound via firmware....we are not idiot.......

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #2,213 of 5,840
SQ has definitely changed !!!!...AK Alex should not pretend they didn't make changes on sound via firmware....we are not idiot.......

I agree with you! but they do not recognize this and do not give the opportunity to change the firmware, when for example on Sony wm1z the sound in the firmware changes and the firmware can be changed without problems! besides, sony wm1z doesn't cost as much money as the sp2000.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #2,214 of 5,840

It depends on your music taste. 90% of my music are jazz records from ECM and ACT labels and I claim this issue affects all tracks with piano parts. Like defective pixels on LCD — very annoying and they will drive you mad one day. As I mentioned in the original post, I have tons of examples tested on SP2000 Cu with Sony IER-Z1R. Thereby this issue is not connected with the recording quality.
I suppose there should be IEMs with some kind of resistance to this bug but I have no plans to swap IER-Z1R or Dita XLS. And this issue is the last thing I expect from the 3.5K bucks DAP.

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2,219 of 5,840

Users who are viewing this thread

Back