Astell&Kern Launches New R-2R DAP and IEMs at High End Munich 2023
Dec 28, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #481 of 724
Jan 6, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #485 of 724
Ended up picking up an SE300 as well -- joining my SP1000M and Fiio M11S. Spent a few days with it so far -- mostly with music off an SD card but also some Roon & Tidal. The reports of lag / slowness kept me from purchasing for a while but I'm very happy with performance. UI is not as responsive as the M11S (which has an 8-core Snapdragon 660) but is totally usable without causing me irritation. I'm loving the sound -- spending most of my time in NOS mode with class A amp setting.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #486 of 724
Ended up picking up an SE300 as well -- joining my SP1000M and Fiio M11S. Spent a few days with it so far -- mostly with music off an SD card but also some Roon & Tidal. The reports of lag / slowness kept me from purchasing for a while but I'm very happy with performance. UI is not as responsive as the M11S (which has an 8-core Snapdragon 660) but is totally usable without causing me irritation. I'm loving the sound -- spending most of my time in NOS mode with class A amp setting.
I use Class A and NOS mode too. I’m really liking the sound of this machine more so than all iterations of the SPs I’ve had.that cost double the price. Hopefully, some of this technology will trickle up to the SP4K. Shouldn’t it be the other way around?😂

Mostly. I was using my Mac’s USBC out to the SE300 to access Roon for playing music. Later, I used music files stored on a 1TB card and just inserted into the player. No issued. This player sounds nice!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #487 of 724
I’m so happy to hear the SE300 is as highly regarded by others as it is with me. I almost went with the much more expensive SP3000 (due to the crossfeed) feature but I’m happy with my choice.

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #488 of 724
It is definitely a great DAP, before I was listening a Shanling M9+, the SE300 sounds more natural with a better realism, I have the Ti version, I also use it NOS with class A, more power would have been most welcomed as for planar headphones it is unfortunately a bit to weak…

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #489 of 724
I just order one, should arrive next week.
It’s great to hear that SQ is great, which is the most important factor to me, moving from a mojo 2/poly setup and HiBy R6 III to the A&K SE300 hope the differences in SQ are more than marginal, but reading you guys looks like I’ve made a good bet!

Jan 7, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #490 of 724
The competition is not sleeping.
At a similar price, the newest DAP announced Hiby R8 II
12,000mAh battery in such a small housing and operating times of 21h on 3.5mm and 18h on 4.4! - almost a whole day of listening while traveling.
It seems that good sound will be available at a more affordable price, but manufacturers have paid attention to more basic functions, after all, DAP is a portable device.

I haven't listened to it yet, I need to make an appointment for a listening session.

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r8-ii

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #491 of 724
The competition is not sleeping.
At a similar price, the newest DAP announced Hiby R8 II
12,000mAh battery in such a small housing and operating times of 21h on 3.5mm and 18h on 4.4! - almost a whole day of listening while traveling.
It seems that good sound will be available at a more affordable price, but manufacturers have paid attention to more basic functions, after all, DAP is a portable device.

I haven't listened to it yet, I need to make an appointment for a listening session.

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r8-ii
Looks good both in specs and design, but I was looking for the R2R DAC and got the SE300+case at ~1500€ (new).
But I do agree that Hiby is developing really good products, the R6 III is a great device in all aspects, I just expect the A&K to be a step ahead.

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #493 of 724
Astell & Kern will definitely introduce the SE 400 R2R with a fast 8-core processor, a large battery and the new Android 13 at the end of this year.
In the current situation on the consumer electronics market, it is not profitable to introduce one modern device to the market, it is better to do it in several steps - we ourselves like it and reach deeper and deeper into our pockets for "new" equipment (smartphones, DAP, etc.)
I can't believe that no one from product development or testers noticed
sluggish system operation (only a faster processor would be enough) - in such a great DAP.
Besides, if we don't buy a new device, the operating system and the inability to update applications will kill the device anyway.
Sadness, but at the expense of the planet and our wallets.😥

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #494 of 724
Astell & Kern will definitely introduce the SE 400 R2R with a fast 8-core processor, a large battery and the new Android 13 at the end of this year.
In the current situation on the consumer electronics market, it is not profitable to introduce one modern device to the market, it is better to do it in several steps - we ourselves like it and reach deeper and deeper into our pockets for "new" equipment (smartphones, DAP, etc.)
I can't believe that no one from product development or testers noticed
sluggish system operation (only a faster processor would be enough) - in such a great DAP.
Besides, if we don't buy a new device, the operating system and the inability to update applications will kill the device anyway.
Sadness, but at the expense of the planet and our wallets.😥
We need a DAP with android 14, because bit perfect output flag was implemented there.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #495 of 724
We need a DAP with android 14, because bit perfect output flag was implemented there.
They need to release a better device with way better soc. Open android more ram and way cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back