Astell&Kern Launches New R-2R DAP and IEMs at High End Munich 2023
Dec 9, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #421 of 732
As JasonNYC of A&K has said multiple times, A&K does not change the sound of the dap with firmware updates. So either you believe him or you don’t. I don’t see why he would say that if it wasn’t true.

As for the extreme differences in sound between the se300 and the titanium edition, I struggle to believe that, but I’ve only heard the standard se300 and I really like it. Has anyone else compared these two daps?

I’d love to hear a little more about this verified information about private developers. The Sony dap thread talks extensively about things such as independent software versions, why would you get banned?

Regarding the technical shortcomings of this dap, it’s a shame because it sounds so good. Just my opinion.

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #422 of 732
Jason may not have such deep information about what is happening with the firmware and its settings inside the device. Therefore, no complaints about Jason, he has general basic information. I'll repeat it again. There is a team of private programmers who have disassembled the se300 firmware of the standard version. All the sound that you hear has several different additional settings. By changing these settings, you change the sound.

A simple example of the first versions of the se300 firmware. According to the parameters inside the firmware, the sound has already changed after version 1.05
There are strong changes in the files because the settings for the titanium version and for the gold version of the se300 have appeared in the system files since version 1.05.
If you roll back to an earlier version to 1.05 firmware now, you will hear the difference in sound yourself. They changed the sound. Not to mention the sound difference in the titanium and standard versions. We are waiting for confirmation from anyone else without any problems.
You just can't imagine what kind of sound the se300 can actually have. and there are a lot of things that affect this sound. What if I told you that even disabling the Roon option and disabling the equalizer and gain settings together and separately already have a strong effect on the sound? Yes, it's hard to believe, but these are already real facts :)

I can't post anything here because my account will be banned for it. There were precedents. But I will write as soon as there is information and you will be able to update the sound on your se300 yourself. and test different sound profiles from modifications of system files and the firmware vendor.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #423 of 732
Alas, there is one simple reason why this is happening. The se300, like other players, does not have direct sound settings bypassing Android. Therefore, the developer of AK is forced to make a bunch of settings for android so that you can hear the sound that you hear. Even the NOS mode has its own settings. We are dealing with a bunch of different settings that affect the sound.
Some of these huge and complex settings can be removed by making direct access bypassing android, but this is not the case.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #424 of 732
Well, if any of this appears to be true, and it seems you most certainly know what you're talking about, I definitely don't want the sonic signature of my se300Ti changes from fw to fw. I'm content with it as it is now.

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #426 of 732
The SE300Ti is better suited to my ears. SP3000 is brighter and the sense of air isn't as natural. Of course this is highly subjective. But you can't tweak the SP3000 sound sig as you can do it with the 300Ti.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #428 of 732
Only because I had a good deal (and I find titanium pretty awesome :wink:) But again, I never heard the regular version, and if some of us have strong arguments in favor of a different sound signature, I've never been able to experience it myself

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #429 of 732
I'm selling my A&K SE300, with its original case.
The DAP has always been used with great care and it's in perfect condition.
Great price .
Anyone interested write me a PM.
Thank you

Dec 17, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #430 of 732
Hey guys considering purchasing ti version
Question
Seems like lots of se300 for sale in classified section?
Is this because new TI version ? or folks not happy with player
My last dap was orginal Kann so hopefully big leap in sound
Thx

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #431 of 732
Hey guys considering purchasing ti version
Question
Seems like lots of se300 for sale in classified section?
Is this because new TI version ? or folks not happy with player
My last dap was orginal Kann so hopefully big leap in sound
Thx
I'm selling my original SE300, if I find someone really interested, only because I'm using it for a short time, having recently bought the N30LE.
But it is a DAP that can give fantastic sound and with various options.
I don't think the TI version is any different in sound quality

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #432 of 732
I don't think the TI version is any different in sound quality
Alas, the titanium version of the se300 is very different in sound from the regular version of the se300. I am sure that someone besides me will be able to confirm this. Even the firmware modification, which greatly improves the sound of the regular version of the se300, does not yet play better than the titanium se300.
But the development team is making progress on this issue, I think we'll figure it out and make it possible to sound like a regular se300 the same way.
PS: A video guide for upgrading a regular se300 is in progress. As soon as this happens, I will send you a link to the video.

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #433 of 732
Alas, the titanium version of the se300 is very different in sound from the regular version of the se300. I am sure that someone besides me will be able to confirm this. Even the firmware modification, which greatly improves the sound of the regular version of the se300, does not yet play better than the titanium se300.
But the development team is making progress on this issue, I think we'll figure it out and make it possible to sound like a regular se300 the same way.
PS: A video guide for upgrading a regular se300 is in progress. As soon as this happens, I will send you a link to the video.
Don't be a smoke seller

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #434 of 732

That sounds really promising.

Maybe you could provide this link here in this thread!?

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #435 of 732
The SE300Ti is better suited to my ears. SP3000 is brighter and the sense of air isn't as natural. Of course this is highly subjective. But you can't tweak the SP3000 sound sig as you can do it with the 300Ti.
Interesting. I recently bought a SP3000 and after listening for a couple weeks, it's consistently sounding more shifted towards the upper mids and treble than I prefer, so I'm thinking of exchanging for a SE300.

I initially bought the SP3000 instead of the SE300 because I heard both at CanJam and preferred the spaciousness of the SP3000 (and the faster UI, but I think I can live with a slower UI), but I remember liking the SE300's tone, but can't remember if it was warmer and less incisive on the upper mids/treble than the SP3000. Some help from those who have heard both would be awesome, thanks! I'd mainly be using this to hold my library, stream using Apple Music and use its DAC into my other amps. Probably won't use the amp part much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back