Astell&Kern Launches New flagship DAP and an IEM Collaboration with Empire Ears
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #241 of 395
Yes I saw that. In fact it was your question and Jason’s answer that played a big part in my decision to buy the Dap (I purchased it today). I only stream my music and I only use Tidal hi-res. Oh dear…

Edit: Thinking about it, it’s not the end of the world if I can’t download for offline use, but it just means I am restricted to listening where I can get a good wi-fi signal. I would much prefer to download to SD though.
The side loaded Tidal app does offline downloads on my SP2000, been using that since it came out, it’s just the standard android Tidal app. The built in Tidal app from A&K has never had that at least on the SP2000. From their own product page https://cdn.astellnkern.com/editor/...1953_2f223144-cae1-4c85-b72b-ed7ba616dfb8.png it shows the option to download and install the regular Tidal android app through Open Service so it’d have to be Tidal removing that feature which would be odd. The only real change in behavior I’ve seen over the last couple years is at first it only allowed downloading to the built in storage and some time later you could choose the download location so now it’s on my sd card. I’m not sure if Tidal does any device detection around download support but that would just take an app update to add the SP3000 to the supported list.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #242 of 395
So Now...my listening impressions with the SP3000 and the NEW UTOPIA (with the Crystal Cable Double Duet Balanced cable)

Oh Boy....
This sounds completely different from the typical A&K house sound
Much more organic, the voices much more emphasized and realistic, this is really great cinema 👍👍

Too bad, I would have really wished for many others that they can drive the one or the other headphones with it satisfactorily

NOMAX

PS.Don't worry I'll tell you what I like 😉
Appreciate your enthusiasm but not sure if the 'organic' sound is due to the SP3K or the new Utopia. Keep in mind we're talking like around $10K with that cable. I'm doubting that it is on the same level as my desktop setup which is roughly around the same price point but maybe I'm wrong...?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #243 of 395
SP3000 (for 4000+ € !!!) which has closed Android system for only supported apps, almost 4 years old Snapdragon 665 (cheap not flagman) processor released in 2019, why not to put flagman power efficient processor Snapdragon870 like in XiaomiPoco F4 smartphone (which costs 350-400$) 😂😂😂 I personally think that manufacturing of sp3000 costs no more than 500$ including all technical part of the device. So in my opinion you pay a lot for the name of brand Astell&Kern, then for advertising and influential famous reviews 😅 that is a big joke 🥳 as someone once said: true audiophile must always suffer 😂

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #244 of 395
Thanks for posting that.

Can anyone answer this - At about 16:50 in the video they talk about Tidal offline music integration and it not being available on the 3K. The guy goes on to say there is no Tidal offline mode, and that it is best to save your playlist on the streaming service of your choice so that you can to listen to that playlist.

Does this have anything to do with being able to download Tidal playlists to either the hard disk or SD card so that you listen to the music when you’re not connected to the internet? My understanding was that you could download your Tidal playlists to the 3K for offline use. Am I taking about something different to what he is saying on the video? @JasonNYC ?
The built in Tidal app does not support offline downloads, but the full Tidal Android app can be downloaded from the download tab in the services menu and that does support full MQA decoding and offline mode.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 19, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #245 of 395
SP3000 (for 4000+ € !!!) which has closed Android system for only supported apps, almost 4 years old Snapdragon 665 (cheap not flagman) processor released in 2019, why not to put flagman power efficient processor Snapdragon870 like in XiaomiPoco F4 smartphone (which costs 350-400$) 😂😂😂 I personally think that manufacturing of sp3000 costs no more than 500$ including all technical part of the device. So in my opinion you pay a lot for the name of brand Astell&Kern, then for advertising and influential famous reviews 😅 that is a big joke 🥳 as someone once said: true audiophile must always suffer 😂
This topics has been discussed a lot in headfi various DAP threads, it is not easy for DAP manufacturer to have access to flagship soc, DAP is niche market, unlike smartphones that can sell millions unit. Because of this top soc manufacturer's don't prioritize DAP market.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #246 of 395
Subscribed…
I preordered a Silver SP3K last week from A2A. This will be awesome upgrade to my aging Kann Cube.

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #247 of 395
Appreciate your enthusiasm but not sure if the 'organic' sound is due to the SP3K or the new Utopia. Keep in mind we're talking like around $10K with that cable. I'm doubting that it is on the same level as my desktop setup which is roughly around the same price point but maybe I'm wrong...?

Has not really to do with the NEW UTOPIA...because i also own the OLD ONE at home 😉
And even with the oldie you can clearly hear the difference between SP2000 vs SP3000 👍

NOMAX

PS.11400 Euros 😁

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #248 of 395
The built in Tidal app does not support offline downloads, but the full Tidal Android app can be downloaded from the download tab in the services menu and that does support full MQA decoding and offline mode.
Thanks for clarifying, and to all those who have also responded. 👍

It seems like it is the same process then as with other AK models.

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #249 of 395
This topics has been discussed a lot in headfi various DAP threads, it is not easy for DAP manufacturer to have access to flagship soc, DAP is niche market, unlike smartphones that can sell millions unit. Because of this top soc manufacturer's don't prioritize DAP market.

That’s exactly what the rep said. You need VOLUME to have inside access to the latest and greatest chipsets. So unless A&K did a partnership with a large OEM they aren’t going to have the same access that say Sony would ( the only DAP mfg that could do that).

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #250 of 395
Here are some photos I took in canjam, and I think the design looks a lot better compared to sp2000 (mirror finish, smoother UI, cooler back glass panel design, smoother volume wheel etc), sound-wise it is definitely a pretty big upgrade. My photo doesn't do justice to the design of sp3000. I am not the biggest fan of the new Empire Ears iem though since it is a bit too big for me (didn't try it in depth since I mainly wanted to demo the sp3000) but it definitely look really nice in person, the faceplate is similar to the valkyrie's one but has more variation on it.

Attachments

• IMG_5176.JPG
    IMG_5176.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5177.JPG
    IMG_5177.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5180.JPG
    IMG_5180.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5181.JPG
    IMG_5181.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5183.JPG
    IMG_5183.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5184.JPG
    IMG_5184.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #253 of 395
Here are some photos I took in canjam, and I think the design looks a lot better compared to sp2000 (mirror finish, smoother UI, cooler back glass panel design, smoother volume wheel etc), sound-wise it is definitely a pretty big upgrade. My photo doesn't do justice to the design of sp3000. I am not the biggest fan of the new Empire Ears iem though since it is a bit too big for me (didn't try it in depth since I mainly wanted to demo the sp3000) but it definitely look really nice in person, the faceplate is similar to the valkyrie's one but has more variation on it.
Thanks for sharing. What color is the case that comes with th SP3K?

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #254 of 395

Users who are viewing this thread

Back