Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #91 of 592
My only DAP experience is with open Android devices on which the Google Play store can be installed. I understand that A&K supports at least limited sideloading but I'm not sure what that means in practice. Can someone help me understand the following:

- What, exactly, can be sideloaded? Are apps limited to the A&K whitelist or is there a way to sideload that circumvents that list?

- Can Wavelet be sideloaded and, if so, will it function as intended (its fine if auto-detect doesn't work)
- Is there an imposed limit on how many apps can be installed and sideloaded? I've seen mention in A&K docs that some DAPs limit to 4 apps and some to 8. How does that apply?

- I'm a Roon user (and Qobuz and Tidal). I've read @JasonNYC comments on ARC not included out of the box. Is there a reason to think it can't be sideloaded (e.g., not on the whitelist)

Just generally trying to understand how locked down this device will be. I'd prefer information to explanations about how I'm not using a DAP correctly. Thanks.

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #92 of 592
My only DAP experience is with open Android devices on which the Google Play store can be installed. I understand that A&K supports at least limited sideloading but I'm not sure what that means in practice. Can someone help me understand the following:

- What, exactly, can be sideloaded? Are apps limited to the A&K whitelist or is there a way to sideload that circumvents that list?

- Can Wavelet be sideloaded and, if so, will it function as intended (its fine if auto-detect doesn't work)
- Is there an imposed limit on how many apps can be installed and sideloaded? I've seen mention in A&K docs that some DAPs limit to 4 apps and some to 8. How does that apply?

- I'm a Roon user (and Qobuz and Tidal). I've read @JasonNYC comments on ARC not included out of the box. Is there a reason to think it can't be sideloaded (e.g., not on the whitelist)

Just generally trying to understand how locked down this device will be. I'd prefer information to explanations about how I'm not using a DAP correctly. Thanks.
It indeed concerns a whitelist of supported apps that can be sideloaded..

The list usually is maintained on https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/news/open-app-service-instructions#:~:text=Open APP Supported Services,Spotify, Tidal and Yandex Music.

Amazon Music, Apple Music, AWA, Bugs, Deezer, FLO, KK BOX, Melon, MOOV, Qobuz, QQ Music, Spotify, Tidal and Yandex Music.

In reality also apps like bandcamp and soundcloud are included, but I'm afraid that it's not much more than what you see listed above...

Apps like Wavelet are definitely not supported or allowed. The Astell&Kern way of implementing Android sets very strict limitations to what can be installed.

But then again, I don't see this as a negative persé.. The AK interface is great and very intuitive... And the whitelisted Apps definitely include the most important ones.

Attachments

• 20230422_195424.jpg
    20230422_195424.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #93 of 592
It indeed concerns a whitelist of supported apps that can be sideloaded..
Thank you!
But then again, I don't see this as a negative persé.. The AK interface is great and very intuitive... And the whitelisted Apps definitely include the most important ones.
This is probably true for many potential purchasers and I certainly respect that. It's not true for me, though, so I'm likely to stick with the open Android options on the market. Thanks for the information!

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #96 of 592
Please tell me, where to get these official apk files to be sure of the reliability and safety of the files
Thank you.
Apkmirror and APKpure

Apr 24, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #98 of 592
hi has anyone compared the difference between Hiby RS series DAP and the AK house sound? I love my RS6 (it’s R2R DAC) but I’m keen on something with longer battery and Roon ready.

More neutral, transparent and detailed ... A little more distant and less emotively engaging... But that last aspect is a personal impression 😉

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #99 of 592

Looks like the UI performance of the SR35 is close to that of the SP3000

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #100 of 592
SR35 with the grey case ordered. The player will be at home on next Monday. I am missing my now sold SR25 MK2. Hopefully, the SR35 will retain the same DNA from a sound signature perspective.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #101 of 592
Need a detailed demo report, too many good DAPs around, hard to make the decision.

May 2, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #102 of 592
Indeed. And it is finally open for pre-order. If there is a speed bump that matched modern DAPs, then I may be interested.

May 2, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #103 of 592
SR35 with the grey case ordered. The player will be at home on next Monday. I am missing my now sold SR25 MK2. Hopefully, the SR35 will retain the same DNA from a sound signature perspective.
Do you have the SR35 in hand yet?

May 2, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #104 of 592
May 2, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #105 of 592
Nope, arriving on Friday or next Monday
I doubt you get them that early as the official release is the 15th. But who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. Some stores in my country do claim to have stock with next day delivery, but I'm skeptical. Want have read some reviews and/or hear them first before making the decision to get them or not anyway. So I'll wait the 2 weeks for the official release.

That said, if you do get it early, the store you bought it from probably won't be selling Astell&Kern for much longer (or they'll have stocking issues for years to come). Brands don't like new products getting out early to consumers and there usually are big consequences for those sellers who do release early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back