Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
May 8, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #121 of 605
Received my order today! Really a good step up from the SR25, easily the best compact DAP! (Hate that DAP’s are getting bigger these years)

IMG_1151.jpeg

@JasonNYC Every time I lock and unlock the screen, the album art shuffle to a different album. Is that intended? If so, can you please add an option to disable the shuffling?

May 8, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #122 of 605
SR35 in da house (here with the ISN EST50 and the ISN Solar cable). It sounds exactly as expected. Love it.

IMG_4671.jpeg

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #124 of 605
May 8, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #125 of 605
Received my order today! Really a good step up from the SR25, easily the best compact DAP! (Hate that DAP’s are getting bigger these years)

IMG_1151.jpeg

@JasonNYC Every time I lock and unlock the screen, the album art shuffle to a different album. Is that intended? If so, can you please add an option to disable the shuffling?
That is intended (and drives me crazy). I will pass along your recommendation.

The intention is to allow you to see things that are on the player to possibly spark spontaneous listening of a track or album you forgot was on the player or you haven't heard in a while.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 8, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #128 of 605
I am seriously considering this DAP due to it's size, battery life and unique features such as the Quad-DAC which seems to be unique for DAPs of this size and price range.

I understand that the UI probably won't be as smooth and snappy as the newer FiiO or Hiby DAPs, as this has a Quad-Core CPU vs the Snapdragons that they use, but as those devices keep getting larger and battery life keeps getting shorter, the SR35 seems like a great option for an everyday portable DAP.

I do have some questions before I make my final Decision that hopefully @JasonNYC or someone else can answer:

1. Does the Quad-DAC feature only work on balanced output or would it work on single ended output as well?
2. Does the SR35 play m3u files
3. What is the quality of the front glass panel that covers the screen? Is it really necessary to install the screen protector, or is the front a good quality glass (I am absolutely horrible at installing screen protectors, so I try not to if I can help it).

Thank you!

May 9, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #133 of 605
So how does it sound compared to the sr25II and Kann Max?
I remember the sr25II as beying very nice, slightly warm, with a very good separation, but the staging was bit narrow. On the other hand, the Max had great staging and layering but was bit too analytical and slightly sharp.
I was always interested in this series as their form factor is fantastic, even the tilted screen doesnt bother me. But the sound quality, even tho was very good, it didnt quite compete with the bigger boys like the Max, dx320 or Shanling M8- but mostly in staging width.
Maybe the 4 dac configuration and a new amp section add more expansive staging? Very curious.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #134 of 605
So how does it sound compared to the sr25II and Kann Max?
I remember the sr25II as beying very nice, slightly warm, with a very good separation, but the staging was bit narrow. On the other hand, the Max had great staging and layering but was bit too analytical and slightly sharp.
I was always interested in this series as their form factor is fantastic, even the tilted screen doesnt bother me. But the sound quality, even tho was very good, it didnt quite compete with the bigger boys like the Max, dx320 or Shanling M8- but mostly in staging width.
Maybe the 4 dac configuration and a new amp section add more expansive staging? Very curious.
The SR35 sounds a bit less warm than the SR25MK2 to me. This is an undeniable step up, because even if I know how to appreciate a warm and cosy tuning, the SR35‘s predecessor was a bit too much of a good thing in that regard, sounding congested at times. Much better detail retrieval, too. The soundstage never will compete with the bigger candidates, though, but it’s fine as it is. I personally like the immediately enjoyable and uncomplicated sound signature of the SR35. There is a true gapless fonction that really works (more and more difficult to find under dap’s hood nowadays).

The form factor is excellent and the grey case so nice to the touch while ensuring a perfect grip. Big fan of the case.

The only issue with this player is the limited power for driving juice-demanding IEMs. It drains the battery life way faster, logically.

May 9, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #135 of 605
The SR35 sounds a bit less warm than the SR25MK2 to me. This is an undeniable step up, because even if I know how to appreciate a warm and cosy tuning, the SR35‘s predecessor was a bit too much of a good thing in that regard, sounding congested at times. Much better detail retrieval, too. The soundstage never will compete with the bigger candidates, though, but it’s fine as it is. I personally like the immediately enjoyable and uncomplicated sound signature of the SR35. There is a true gapless fonction that really works (more and more difficult to find under dap’s hood nowadays).

The form factor is excellent and the grey case so nice to the touch while ensuring a perfect grip. Big fan of the case.

The only issue with this player is the limited power for driving juice-demanding IEMs. It drains the battery life way faster, logically.
Great thanx! So the Hiby R6 Pro II seems like a good alternative then. Ive read that it comes close to the dx320's huge stagings.
But the battery life isnt even in the same galactic as the sr35. Something gain something lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back