Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Mar 16, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #1,877 of 2,082
It can't drive a HEDDphone One and is also falling often short with DCA Stealth ... but Kann Alpha was almost unusable due to bugs (WI-FI Streaming)) and lack of features (BT DAC).
For more power to be able to drive the DCA Stealth (away from a fixed desktop environment), as the Kann Alpha has a true Line out 4.4mm, it's easy to add some portable amp like LESS BX2+ or the brand new Centrance Ampersand.
I know about the myriad of complaints regarding different connectivity issues. I just remembered you beating it up on the forum for lack of power for your headphones and I thought you bought the M17 to replace it. So, I was surprised to see you excited about the apparent bug fixes brought about by the new firmware. No big deal, just surprised me that you still had the KA. Hope it works out better for you now.

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #1,878 of 2,082
Yes !!!! Since I made a Factory Reset and Parameters Reset after updating the firmware I could already spend one hour or more, playing some files through a Wi-Fi 6 mesh router from my Upnp Server at home with NO ONE DROP !!!! it's the first time in 15 months that happened with the Kann Alpha.
I can't believe it ! Bluetooth remote is fully operational, and AK Connect is totally functional as accessing my NAS upnp servers (WAN and LAN) or be a perfect DLNA renderer (foobar2K, Mconnect, Bubbleupnp) .... that are huge changes in this firmware.

I will have to imagine going further and deeper with the real sound quality of my Kann Akpha.
It seems A&K could finally find some good developers to fix those amazing Wi-Fi issues in their firmware.
Off topic but have you ever tried the Cayin C9?

Mar 17, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #1,879 of 2,082
Off topic but have you ever tried the Cayin C9?
Nope ... Cayin said on this forum that it wouldn't be able to move "fully" the HEDDphone one. I went to LESS BX2+.

Mar 17, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,880 of 2,082
New firmware for the KANN ALPHA will be released tomorrow morning, 3/15 Korea time (late tonight, 3/14 here in the US). The update contains a number of system stability improvements and bug fixes including fixes for wi-fi stability issues when streaming. This firmware update should fix those issues for owners who are having problems with wi-fi drops while streaming.
Hey - and now the physical buttons work like expected - nice update! Wifi was rock solid before and is after update... Sold my RME ADI DAC and use only Kann alpha as roon end point. Really satisfied with the product - thanks very much for updating firmware! For in house use now my dream configuration. For outside I still have to use another Player (FiiO) because there is still no support for crossfeed on Astell and Kern Player. Would really be nice to see crossfeed support natively implemented on A+K player. Also nice on FiiO: I use DropSync to copy my library to the player (very smooth - add new music to my dropbox on Mac - and sync automatically to music player). Only one library for Roon and FiiO player!! So still room for innovation for A+K :wink:

Mar 17, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #1,881 of 2,082
Hey - and now the physical buttons work like expected - nice update! Wifi was rock solid before and is after update... Sold my RME ADI DAC and use only Kann alpha as roon end point. Really satisfied with the product - thanks very much for updating firmware! For in house use now my dream configuration. For outside I still have to use another Player (FiiO) because there is still no support for crossfeed on Astell and Kern Player. Would really be nice to see crossfeed support natively implemented on A+K player. Also nice on FiiO: I use DropSync to copy my library to the player (very smooth - add new music to my dropbox on Mac - and sync automatically to music player). Only one library for Roon and FiiO player!! So still room for innovation for A+K :wink:
The new ACRO CA1000 carriable Headphone amp is the first AK product to have crossfeed support. I do not know if it is planned on being added to other devices such as KANN ALPHA, but will pass on the suggestion to the dev team.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 18, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #1,883 of 2,082
Hello Guys. How do I upgrade to the new 1.30CN firmware? I just tried OTA and it indicates that 1.20CN is still latest. On AK website 1.30CN is not present. I'm in NY, US. Thanks

Maybe they removed the firmware as there is a bug.
There is a bug with AK File Drop. It will be fixed in the next firmware update, expected around March 28.

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #1,885 of 2,082
Hello Guys. How do I upgrade to the new 1.30CN firmware? I just tried OTA and it indicates that 1.20CN is still latest. On AK website 1.30CN is not present. I'm in NY, US. Thanks
Reports of a possible bug. The update was temporarily pulled while the QA team investigates. I will share more info once I have it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 18, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #1,886 of 2,082
It can't drive a HEDDphone One and is also falling often short with DCA Stealth ... but Kann Alpha was almost unusable due to bugs (WI-FI Streaming)) and lack of features (BT DAC).
For more power to be able to drive the DCA Stealth (away from a fixed desktop environment), as the Kann Alpha has a true Line out 4.4mm, it's easy to add some portable amp like LESS BX2+ or the brand new Centrance Ampersand.
Could you be more analytical on the part that KA can't drive the HEDDphone One? Because I'm interested in buying the HEDDphone and I'm thinking of driving it initially with the KA! I would very much apreciate your experiences on this matter...

Mar 18, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #1,887 of 2,082
Could you be more analytical on the part that KA can't drive the HEDDphone One? Because I'm interested in buying the HEDDphone and I'm thinking of driving it initially with the KA! I would very much apreciate your experiences on this matter...

It's clipping seriously on low & ultra low frequencies with tracks like Cradle to The Grave of Max Richter .. between 45" to 1'20.
It's getting significant distorted sound when I push over 130/150 volume level. For many of my DSD, I need to go to such power level.
Till now, as portable "amp", I could only use with the HEDDphone one are the LESS BX2+ / Centrance Ampersand & FIIO M17 .. all of these are not really far from my desktop "system" (SMSL SU9+ Monolith THX887), though none can't offer as impressive with fast and clear impacts in ultra low frequencies (as the Desktop Combo can do).
For the HEDDphone One, I would say the Kann Alpha can be used with many Hires Tracks at a reasonable volume pressure, but not with all files, particularly with many DSD, it can be frustrating.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #1,888 of 2,082
Reports of a possible bug. The update was temporarily pulled while the QA team investigates. I will share more info once I have it.

Could you inform them that in Sink Mode, it's a bit frustrating the buttons are not activited at all, as they are with almost all of my dap's in BT LDAC Mode (the Old Sony WM1A and the new FIIO M17, they allow the play/pause, Skip, Previous buttons)

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #1,890 of 2,082
It's clipping seriously on low & ultra low frequencies with tracks like Cradle to The Grave of Max Richter .. between 45" to 1'20.
It's getting significant distorted sound when I push over 130/150 volume level. For many of my DSD, I need to go to such power level.
Till now, as portable "amp", I could only use with the HEDDphone one are the LESS BX2+ / Centrance Ampersand & FIIO M17 .. all of these are not really far from my desktop "system" (SMSL SU9+ Monolith THX887), though none can't offer as impressive with fast and clear impacts in ultra low frequencies (as the Desktop Combo can do).
For the HEDDphone One, I would say the Kann Alpha can be used with many Hires Tracks at a reasonable volume pressure, but not with all files, particularly with many DSD, it can be frustrating.
...Many many thanks! I got the picture...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back