Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jan 29, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #1,846 of 2,084
Btw did you try the Fiio M17 as DAC only mode/Line Out SE/Balanced to more powerful amps? does it work flawlessly when using it on Windows 10, shows bit rate information when playing Flac/DSD files?

Also how is the Wifi streaming performance? any issues like KA?

No one WIFI issue like Kann Alpha with M17.. no obsolete Wifi hardware or android system !!!!
Works perfectly with a true line out balanced cable to a THX887 amp, or use an external DAC SMSL SU-9 +THX 887 => all DAC modes available (Coaxial) and with the USB-C port even more than M17 itself limited to 384Khz and DSD256, (but I don't have any DSD512 or 768Khz Flacs to really test the SMSL SU-9 other than just oversampling from neutron player).
It's possible to charge the M17 at the same time you use the USB-C output of the M17, with KA you can't use usb-c output and charge the KA at the same time... only spdif output can be used if you want to keep the KA chargesd with some DAC limitations and some worse THD.
Of course, I can use any smartphones, tablets, PC (mconnect/bubbleupnp/neutron/qobuz/tidal/foobar) and use the M17 as a full dlna renderer (even keep bit perfect & full DSD with Bubble Upnp/Uapp/Neutron Player through DLNA).
With a full android 10, you also have access to a full PEQ at system level like PowerampEQ or Wavelet far more powerful than the ultra limited KA PEQ.

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #1,847 of 2,084
I have many samples, and it is almost impossible to enjoy a HEDDphone One or DCA Stealth at a realistic volume level .. (of course not at 20/150@mid gain, which would be just ridiculous even to buy such bulky Kann Alpha for such power needs) => but this tyest is based on a real piece of classical music and it is the easiest way to control, it takes a few seconds to test even at low volume level and get a significant result no need to use strange words or not understandable expressions to try to describe the sound our are listening... it's just clipping or distorted.
With such test, you have an answer straight away with low impedance and low sensitivity headphones. It's really worth to do !!!!

I can compare my Kann Alpha with Centrance M8V2, Xduoo XD-05, and some other portable amps which are all clipping while Less Bx2plus, Fiio M17 doesn't clip at all or amps like THX887. The Kann Alpha is one of the weakest amp I own.. I really don't know where are the 12V, but it's the only one with such distortion at a realistic volume level with most headphones. Only line out is really spotless .. but, of course, it's not at all at a12V output, so with a THX 887 amp behind, sound quaslity is what you are basically expecting

After having bought 2 version of Kann Alpha (Chinese end Europe), I think, It's worth that other people know before buying this item has :
- an obsolete wifi hardware,
- an obsolete android version (no neutron bubble upnp, UAPP, ..., )
- a ridiculous limited PEQ (unable to access +-10db),
- an unstable upnp server access,...) ..
- impossible to use an eternal DAC and charging the Kann Alpha at the same time
- no BT LDAC DAC function
- using a BT remote is a real pain, because of a very short sleep function.
- of course one of the weakest amp I own, in real life many of my DAPs have more or less such amp power without announcing 12V output.

Then you can be happy with this dap ... it's totally up to you, but why buy such functionally limited DAP if you don't need 12V output or just play Mid Gain at 20/150 vol level ?

Was looking at picking one of these up used and I'm glad I stumbled upon your post. A lot of these are pretty much full stops for buying a DAP. I'm surprised iriver still can't figure out a lot of this stuff.

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #1,848 of 2,084
AK does recommend that if using high gain the power supply should be plugged in. This will prevent quick battery drain but in my experience also helps with driving inefficient phones. I feel it drives my HD800s with nice bass body. I don’t walk around with my over ear headphones though. AK also provides roon ready which is an absolute requirement for my use.

Feb 13, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #1,849 of 2,084
I've had my Kann Alpha for a few months now I've gotta say I really do love it however, I'm having trouble using my external portable hard drive with the the device. The problem is consistency. I've gotten it work a few times but most of the time the drive just doesn't mount. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Feb 13, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #1,850 of 2,084
I've had my Kann Alpha for a few months now I've gotta say I really do love it however, I'm having trouble using my external portable hard drive with the the device. The problem is consistency. I've gotten it work a few times but most of the time the drive just doesn't mount. Does anyone know how to resolve this?
Frankly I never thought someone would use external hard drive directly with DAP. Unless you want to transfer file just once, which you can do it through PC or Mac. If you want DAP to play music on external hard drive, the correct way is to setup your own wifi streaming service.

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #1,851 of 2,084

The Kann Alpha has not enough power, so the only way I have found to use a Samsung usb-c 2Tb SSD or a WP P50 4Tb SSD, without any issues, is to use a Zendure X5 power bank HUB .
Otherwise :
-> it's easy to use some USB-C Sd card reader plugged on USB-C port.
-> It's more versatile to use my android smartphone with the SSD connected to it, and use the Kann Alpha as a simple Dlna Renderer (Neutron as player on the smartphone, as it can store the music library on the SSD, the Kann Alpha can't store the SSD music library, it's reconstructed at every connection, which is very, very long and annoying)

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #1,852 of 2,084
Frankly I never thought someone would use external hard drive directly with DAP. Unless you want to transfer file just once, which you can do it through PC or Mac. If you want DAP to play music on external hard drive, the correct way is to setup your own wifi streaming service.

I use quite often some SSD drives (WD/Samsung) with my dap's and neutron player (as it can create and store music libraries !!!! )
It's really efficient with FIIO M17, not really with Kann Alpha. For trains and planes, it's a really interesting feature.
With the Kann Alpha and many other Daps, every change of the SD card takes a monstrous time to recreate the library => using a SSD is the solution which doesn't need to drain the Smartphone battery (as upnp server).

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #1,853 of 2,084
It's not my primary use case by any means but I do keep my entire audio library on a portable drive and it would, in theory, be nice to be able to access it directly from my DAP. Although practically speaking I probably wouldn't do it often.

Feb 14, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #1,854 of 2,084
The Kann Alpha has not enough power, so the only way I have found to use a Samsung usb-c 2Tb SSD or a WP P50 4Tb SSD, without any issues, is to use a Zendure X5 power bank HUB .
Otherwise :
-> it's easy to use some USB-C Sd card reader plugged on USB-C port.
-> It's more versatile to use my android smartphone with the SSD connected to it, and use the Kann Alpha as a simple Dlna Renderer (Neutron as player on the smartphone, as it can store the music library on the SSD, the Kann Alpha can't store the SSD music library, it's reconstructed at every connection, which is very, very long and annoying)
Yes. Power was not the problem. I'm using a powered USB-C hub. The drive spins up no problem even when it's not connected to the KA. The funny thing is that I've gotten it work work perfectly fine without issue. It's just hit or miss now. Not sure if there is a setting or something to make it work better?

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #1,855 of 2,084
New firmware for the KANN ALPHA will be released tomorrow morning, 3/15 Korea time (late tonight, 3/14 here in the US). The update contains a number of system stability improvements and bug fixes including fixes for wi-fi stability issues when streaming. This firmware update should fix those issues for owners who are having problems with wi-fi drops while streaming.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 15, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #1,856 of 2,084
I just updated the new firmware .... I will see today if it solved this annoying issue with those 15 minutes wifi drops.. since 12/2020 !!!!!!!!!!
Let's hope this is the end of the firmware failure after more than 15 months.

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #1,857 of 2,084
I just updated the new firmware .... I will see today if it solved this annoying issue with those 15 minutes wifi drops.. since 12/2020 !!!!!!!!!!
Let's hope this is the end of the firmware failure after more than 15 months.
Tested today after the update with no issues. Tomorrow I will see if I can leave Bluetooth on and not suffer dropouts.

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #1,858 of 2,084
1st attempt after updating firmware to 1.30CN ... no change at home .. 10 minutes drop while accessing my upnp server. I didn't install QObuz yet.

So, I decided to :
-> reset everything ... Settings and Factory
-> Set AK Connect Sleep Mode Off
-> Set Auto Power off
-> Set Screen Time Out 2 minutes

This morning, as I will be using my 5G smartphone as access point, there shouldn't be any issue (as before).. But, this midday at home I will try in some Wifi 6 Mesh. Environnement.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #1,859 of 2,084
1st Good news !!! It seems there is finally a bluetooth DAC mode !!!!! I was really missing that too, as my smartphone is much more convenient to go through Qobuz and LDAC 24/96 is already a fairly good access point for Hires Music. And it can maybe help to access my Upnp server or Qobuz at home if there are no drops in Bluetooth LDAC DAC mode.
I just paired my BT remote control (Sony RMT-NWS20) and I will see if there are still some drops out like before, which made the remote control almost unusable too.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #1,860 of 2,084
Good news it seems, there are no Bluetooth drops for the remote control anymore ... !!! I could use the remote for one hour or more, with sometimes more than 15 minutes without touching it and the remote was still active. The BT Remote reconnects by itself as soon as the Kann Alpha BT is active, we just have to press any button on the remote within one or two second.
Fast-forward and Fast-rewind are more or less active and working fine by a long press on the right or left arrow too !!!

Trying BT DAC receiver mode (Bluetooth Sink Mode in Kann Alpha language) ... it seems almost impossible to have a stable clear listening in LDAC mode even 10 cm far from the smartphone (many little cuts). Usually, I never have such issue in LDAC DAC mode with my Sony WM1A, FIIO M17, FIIO M11, connected to my 6 months old Galaxy Z Fold 3....
Unfortunately, in BT DAC Mode :
-> the Kann Alpha buttons are inactive to go next/prev tracks play/pause (not a real big deal, just pity),
-> The BT is not fully bidirectional as the BT remote Control becomes inactive (we have to pair it with the smartphone directly, which is a bit annoying if we change from streaming to Kann Alpha music library ),
-> I am trying in AAC (no Aptx/Aptx HD/ApxLL) ?

But bad news... I couldn't play some Qobuz playlist, till now, more than 5 minutes before a total Bluetooth drop and I had to reconnect BT from the smartphone to the Kann Alpha. Impossible to use properly, the "new" Bluetooth Sink Mode that appeared in the Blueutoth Config... drops in less than 5 minutes.
Even with 5 cm distance, BT LDAC connection has loads of cuts.

At least, the AK Connect Dlna receiver mode gets music from my smartphone (Mconnect or BubbleUpnp player), it seems to be fast, stable with no drops, even DSD in Native Mode compatible (Purple Color Button) and volume control from the smartphone => so, it's also not a real big deal if this new BT receiver DAC mode is almost unusable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back