Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Mar 15, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #1,861 of 2,084
Yes !!!! Since I made a Factory Reset and Parameters Reset after updating the firmware I could already spend one hour or more, playing some files through a Wi-Fi 6 mesh router from my Upnp Server at home with NO ONE DROP !!!! it's the first time in 15 months that happened with the Kann Alpha.
I can't believe it ! Bluetooth remote is fully operational, and AK Connect is totally functional as accessing my NAS upnp servers (WAN and LAN) or be a perfect DLNA renderer (foobar2K, Mconnect, Bubbleupnp) .... that are huge changes in this firmware.

I will have to imagine going further and deeper with the real sound quality of my Kann Akpha.
It seems A&K could finally find some good developers to fix those amazing Wi-Fi issues in their firmware.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #1,863 of 2,084
Yes !!!! Since I made a Factory Reset and Parameters Reset after updating the firmware I could already spend one hour or more, playing some files through a Wi-Fi 6 mesh router from my Upnp Server at home with NO ONE DROP !!!! it's the first time in 15 months that happened with the Kann Alpha.
I can't believe it ! Bluetooth remote is fully operational, and AK Connect is totally functional as accessing my NAS upnp servers (WAN and LAN) or be a perfect DLNA renderer (foobar2K, Mconnect, Bubbleupnp) .... that are huge changes in this firmware.

I will have to imagine going further and deeper with the real sound quality of my Kann Akpha.
It seems A&K could finally find some good developers to fix those amazing Wi-Fi issues in their firmware.
I thought you sold the KA and bought an M17 ???

Mar 15, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #1,865 of 2,084
Finally AK added the Go To Album / Go To Artist / Go To Folder button.

Mar 16, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #1,866 of 2,084
I thought you sold the KA and bought an M17 ???

I couldn't sell a dap that was almost not functional in many situations... now it's a different story.
As it is far less bulky than FIIO M17 and form factor is rather compact, with a good battery life, and as I also need a really pocketable DAP to be used with my Vision Ears EXT, I will evaluate which one I will keep between FIIO M11, WM1A/Nayparm Mods and Hiby 6 beside the M17.
Yesterday I have spent the all day with the Kann Alpha and his brand-new first usable firmware, It's another story now, at it became as stable or even more than M11 or M17. It was even working fine with some external 2Tb SSD, but most interesting was as DLNA renderer with AK connect for my smartphone (Mconnect).
So I will spend a time to evaluate sound quality with the Vision Ears EXT and see if It's a keeper or not.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #1,867 of 2,084
New KA firmware update also includes BT sink mode, which allows the KA to be used as a Bluetooth DAC, supporting Bluetooth send/receive and AK File Drop to wirelessly transfer files to the player via FTP.
@JasonNYC Thanks! I had to switch off the wifi to cut out the interference and then it worked like a dream. Will you be rolling out the same for the SP2K?

Mar 16, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #1,868 of 2,084
@JasonNYC Thanks! I had to switch off the wifi to cut out the interference and then it worked like a dream. Will you be rolling out the same for the SP2K?

Thank you, ... with Wi-Fi active on the Kann Alpha, the Bluetooth DAC option was almost unusable even for watching movies from my laptop/tablet in AAC.. as FIIO is also deactivating, automatically, the Wi-Fi of the M17 when we switch to BT LDAC DAC mode, I should have done it with the Kann Alpha too.
So if we first deactivate Wi-Fi of the Kann Alpha, the BT-DAC mode is really fine with no interference or drops even in LDAC 990Kps mode (with more than 1m distance Kann Alpha in my trousers pocket and smartphone in shirt pocket)... that's clearly a very good feature indeed to make the Kann Alpha a very good companion of our smartphones/tablets/notebook in planes (Qobuz offline playlists & Films).
Let's hope battery consumption is very low in this mode, as it should be..

In less than 2 days, I can say all of these new or stabilized streaming features are definitely huge changes for the Kann Alpha. It brings this DAP into the most interesting DAP group on the market with a quite comfortable output power, true line out / toslink outputs, a good CD ripper management feature, an impressive Smartphone companion.

I have now to spend time with sound quality to find what are qualities or limits with IEM like Vision Ears EXT/IE900 or Headphones like Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas/Z7MR2/DCA Stealth... I didn't do such analysis clearly in 15 months, as the Kann Alpha was so buggy and limited.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #1,869 of 2,084
Thank you, ... with Wi-Fi active on the Kann Alpha, the Bluetooth DAC option was almost unusable even for watching movies from my laptop/tablet in AAC.. as FIIO is also deactivating, automatically, the Wi-Fi of the M17 when we switch to BT LDAC DAC mode, I should have done it with the Kann Alpha too.
So if we first deactivate Wi-Fi of the Kann Alpha, the BT-DAC mode is really fine with no interference or drops even in LDAC 990Kps mode (with more than 1m distance Kann Alpha in my trousers pocket and smartphone in shirt pocket)... that's clearly a very good feature indeed to make the Kann Alpha a very good companion of our smartphones/tablets/notebook in planes (Qobuz offline playlists & Films).
Let's hope battery consumption is very low in this mode, as it should be..

In less than 2 days, I can say all of these new or stabilized streaming features are definitely huge changes for the Kann Alpha. It brings this DAP into the most interesting DAP group on the market with a quite comfortable output power, true line out / toslink outputs, a good CD ripper management feature, an impressive Smartphone companion.

I have now to spend time with sound quality to find what are qualities or limits with IEM like Vision Ears EXT/IE900 or Headphones like Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas/Z7MR2/DCA Stealth... I didn't do such analysis clearly in 15 months, as the Kann Alpha was so buggy and limited.
Agree! I am reminded again why I loved the KA and its sound signature. :) Let's see if AK plans the same for the flagship SP2K

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #1,870 of 2,084
Did anyone try AK file drop? FTP address doesn't display on my Kann Alpha. I already turn it on and connect to WiFi.
There is a bug with AK File Drop. It will be fixed in the next firmware update, expected around March 28.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 16, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #1,872 of 2,084
I have been asking about the SP2000 for a while. Still undecided at the moment. Part of the issue is the SP2000 runs an older version of Android. I will ask for an update.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 16, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,873 of 2,084
I couldn't sell a dap that was almost not functional in many situations... now it's a different story.
As it is far less bulky than FIIO M17 and form factor is rather compact, with a good battery life, and as I also need a really pocketable DAP to be used with my Vision Ears EXT, I will evaluate which one I will keep between FIIO M11, WM1A/Nayparm Mods and Hiby 6 beside the M17.
Yesterday I have spent the all day with the Kann Alpha and his brand-new first usable firmware, It's another story now, at it became as stable or even more than M11 or M17. It was even working fine with some external 2Tb SSD, but most interesting was as DLNA renderer with AK connect for my smartphone (Mconnect).
So I will spend a time to evaluate sound quality with the Vision Ears EXT and see if It's a keeper or not.
Sorry, I thought your main issue with the KA was lack of power for driving your headphones.

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #1,874 of 2,084
Sorry, I thought your main issue with the KA was lack of power for driving your headphones.
It can't drive a HEDDphone One and is also falling often short with DCA Stealth ... but Kann Alpha was almost unusable due to bugs (WI-FI Streaming)) and lack of features (BT DAC).
For more power to be able to drive the DCA Stealth (away from a fixed desktop environment), as the Kann Alpha has a true Line out 4.4mm, it's easy to add some portable amp like LESS BX2+ or the brand new Centrance Ampersand.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,875 of 2,084
I have been asking about the SP2000 for a while. Still undecided at the moment. Part of the issue is the SP2000 runs an older version of Android. I will ask for an update.
Thanks! It's a pity cos the DAC on the SP2K would be great for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back