Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Nov 12, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,666 of 2,084
Roon Integration in Kann is really nicely done. If you click on signal path the system wide changes done on Kann are displayed Together with changes made on Roon core:

Attachments

• 02101B86-A674-40BD-9E70-2C2DED1DDE9B.jpeg
    02101B86-A674-40BD-9E70-2C2DED1DDE9B.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 12, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,669 of 2,084
And who asks for power…. Kann drives them all :xf_cool:
I think, it doesn't !!! at least for the DCA .. I think yours is as low sensitivity as my DCA Stealth => it's clipping a lot for low and ultra low frequencies with some tracks like Cradle to the Grave from Max Richter (between 45" to 1"40") I have got many tracks where I get distorted music with the Kann Alpha and low sensitivity headphones like Stealth and HEDDphone one.
I am waiting for the Fiio M17 as the Kann Alpha and Centrance M8V2 are both falling often short with instant power.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #1,670 of 2,084
I think, it doesn't !!! at least for the DCA .. I think yours is as low sensitivity as my DCA Stealth => it's clipping a lot for low and ultra low frequencies with some tracks like Cradle to the Grave from Max Richter (between 45" to 1"40") I have got many tracks where I get distorted music with the Kann Alpha and low sensitivity headphones like Stealth and HEDDphone one.
I am waiting for the Fiio M17 as the Kann Alpha and Centrance M8V2 are both falling often short with instant power.
Arya 90 dB/mW 32 ohm my most difficult to drive
Aeon 92 dB/mW 13 ohm
Fostex 100 dB/mW 32 ohm

stealth 86 dB/mW 23 Ohm should be more difficult than my Arya and of course much more difficult than aeon noire…

Nov 12, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,671 of 2,084
Just checked Max Richter - you are right at very high volumes (high gain 100 clicks) there is clipping but that is much louder than I like to hear my music…. for most music it is medium gain and 70 clicks balanced with tracks normalized to -14 dB (lufs)

Nov 12, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #1,673 of 2,084
Are you using the default settings for MQA - decoder and renderer or are you setting for only renderer and seeing the magenta?

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,674 of 2,084
Are you using the default settings for MQA - decoder and renderer or are you setting for only renderer and seeing the magenta?
It depends… if you have any dsp settings in Roon there will always be partially unfolding in Roon followed by rendering on the Kann.
Example:

Attachments

• 2462AF25-3742-47DE-93F8-7EB0691F6E56.jpeg
    2462AF25-3742-47DE-93F8-7EB0691F6E56.jpeg
    746.4 KB · Views: 0
Nov 12, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #1,675 of 2,084
I experienced the same bass clipping with my Arya V2 with the Kann Alpha in high gain at my normal listening volume with certain tracks. I pre-ordered the Centrance Ampersand to use the 4.4mm line-out from the A&K into the 4.4mm input on the Ampersand. This combo should give me the option to power my more demanding headphones on the go, but I will report back once I receive the Ampersand (hopefully within a few weeks). The Ampersand is all analog so the battery is not drained by any digital functions such as DAC, BT or WiFi.

The M17 seems too physically large for my preference; the Kann Alpha is about as big as I would want to go for my use during travel. Based on what I read on the M17, it is only able to reach its maximum output power when connected to AC power. On battery, the Kann Alpha should have a slightly higher output based on the listed specs.

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #1,676 of 2,084
I experienced the same bass clipping with my Arya V2 with the Kann Alpha in high gain at my normal listening volume with certain tracks. I pre-ordered the Centrance Ampersand to use the 4.4mm line-out from the A&K into the 4.4mm input on the Ampersand. This combo should give me the option to power my more demanding headphones on the go, but I will report back once I receive the Ampersand (hopefully within a few weeks). The Ampersand is all analog so the battery is not drained by any digital functions such as DAC, BT or WiFi.

The M17 seems too physically large for my preference; the Kann Alpha is about as big as I would want to go for my use during travel. Based on what I read on the M17, it is only able to reach its maximum output power when connected to AC power. On battery, the Kann Alpha should have a slightly higher output based on the listed specs.

I pre-ordered the ampersand too ... He is working to make it compatible with DCA planar headphones. I will see, like you, if it can help the Kann Alpha.

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #1,677 of 2,084
I pre-ordered the ampersand too ... He is working to make it compatible with DCA planar headphones. I will see, like you, if it can help the Kann Alpha.
I spoke with the Centrance founder, Michael Goodman, on the phone for about 30 minutes and he was able to answer all of my questions about the Ampersand. His answers to all of my questions was what made me decide to pull the trigger on the Ampersand over other similar portable amps. He was even willing to let me stop by their facility when I was visiting Chicago, but unfortunately I was unable to find an opening in my schedule that worked.

iFi has some good portable offerings, but I wanted a strictly analog amplifier that would take the sound of the Kann Alpha and add some extra juice. It’s dimensions are similar in size to the Kann Alpha and it includes a removable plastic cover to protect the casing when stacking a DAP or other portable device.

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #1,678 of 2,084
Roon Integration in Kann is really nicely done. If you click on signal path the system wide changes done on Kann are displayed Together with changes made on Roon core:
I do have drop off issues from time to time. I think it happens more often with Qobus vs Tidal over Roon. But, totally agree that it cannot be any easier. I do wish they would update the OS to be fully open android like the new sp2000

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,679 of 2,084
Enjoying some down time with a crazy Monday. Also discovered that the Unique Melody Mest MkII has great synergy with the KA. :)

5FEB0CB8-3B8E-4D86-9B3D-FC7258F7DCB9.jpeg
8C0B04A2-632C-4B0C-9E65-FC5834855529.png

Nov 16, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #1,680 of 2,084
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is having a "sticky" and inconsistent resistance with the volume wheel? This is a new Kann out of the box, and while adjusting the volume, the wheel does not click smooth all the time, as some turns it somewhat freely rotates.

Many Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back