Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jul 29, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #1,471 of 2,084
I don't know the zx507... but I am almost sure that with Sony you will never have drops/disconections every 15 minutes (depending your wifi environment) from your NAS or your music service, you won't get so much distortion over 135/150 with demanding headphone, such slow navigation through the menus with wifi build on an obsolete 802.11g hardware, such sharp angle box, small characters to read, ...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #1,472 of 2,084
I don't know the zx507... but I am almost sure that with Sony you will never have drops/disconections every 15 minutes (depending your wifi environment) from your NAS or your music service, you won't get so much distortion over 135/150 with demanding headphone, such slow navigation through the menus with wifi build on an obsolete 802.11g hardware, such sharp angle box, small characters to read, ...
My ZX507 has top notch wifi and bluetooth, but it has no native DLNA capability (you'll need an app for that). Of course, it can't match the power output of the Kann and battery life is pretty poor... just saying.

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #1,473 of 2,084
What I find frustrating is the myriad of 'outstanding' reviews for this device, if thats what we the consumer are supposed to go off then something is clearly a miss here. I'm sure those reviews are sponsored but I find it hard to believe that reviewers found none of the near endless issues with this device. Note to self; check headfi before spending a grand on device that's a better weapon than it is dap. Rant over.

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #1,475 of 2,084
What I find frustrating is the myriad of 'outstanding' reviews for this device, if thats what we the consumer are supposed to go off then something is clearly a miss here. I'm sure those reviews are sponsored but I find it hard to believe that reviewers found none of the near endless issues with this device. Note to self; check headfi before spending a grand on device that's a better weapon than it is dap. Rant over.
The problem with many reviews isn't always the sponsored part (although, that does play a big part as bad reviews may keep you from getting more stuff later) but also that those review units aren't always the production model (sometimes it's a pre-production or worse a specially produced or tweaked model for review), every function and feature isn't tested and they are almost never "lived with" for a decent amount of time before a review is written and posted just so they can be first out the gate. As someone who reviews stuff I purchase once in a while just to share my own thoughts with others I can tell you first hand from what I've seen that these are some of the major issues that plague many reviews. This is why every review should be questioned especially if you are using it for purchasing reasons. So read as many as you can from different places. I also don't understand why people keep stuff that isn't working properly either but that"s a different issue altogether I suppose.

Jul 29, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #1,476 of 2,084
I also don't understand why people keep stuff that isn't working properly either but that"s a different issue altogether I suppose.

When you paid 1.5K€ for an item (with A&K CD ripper) .. and you can use it more or less (by creating an android smartphone 2.4g wifi accesspoint).. you just use it as it is for a while and you just wait for a better finished item by a more serious brand like the Fiio M17 or ibasso Dx300Max to come out and then quit definitely A&K and never look at them anymore.
I have no mind to throw 1.5K€ like that, after a year of using it, I will feel less angry to have spent such amount.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #1,477 of 2,084
When you paid 1.5K€ for an item (with A&K CD ripper) .. and you can use it more or less (by creating an android smartphone 2.4g wifi accesspoint).. you just use it as it is for a while and you just wait for a better finished item by a more serious brand like the Fiio M17 or ibasso Dx300Max to come out and then quit definitely A&K and never look at them anymore.
I have no mind to throw 1.5K€ like that, after a year of using it, I will feel less angry to have spent such amount.
Maybe so but if I buy something and it does not work as it is suppose to I'm sending it back for a refund regardless of what I paid for it. I don't waste money like that.

Jul 29, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #1,478 of 2,084
Maybe so but if I buy something and it does not work as it is suppose to I'm sending it back for a refund regardless of what I paid for it. I don't waste money like that.
1) I was hoping for some firmware to fix wifi issues.
2) there was not so many other choices in January...
3) at that time, I was thinking A&K were serious so soon or late they would fix everuthing.
4) I even bought a second Kann Alpha from an official french dealer because A&K said mine was bought in China (Aliexpress) and was probably a modified item .. but I tried for two days the second official item (with europeen firmware) and it had exactly same issues with Wifi. So this one went back to the French dealer and they gave my money back in a short time.

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #1,479 of 2,084
3) at that time, I was thinking A&K were serious so soon or late they would fix everuthing.
4) I even bought a second Kann Alpha from an official french dealer because A&K said mine was bought in China (Aliexpress) and was probably a modified item .. but I tried for two days the second official item (with europeen firmware) and it had exactly same issues with Wifi. So this one went back to the French dealer and they gave my money back in a short time.

Ah yes, the allure of high-end even when the product (and product support) doesn't deliver... Been there multiple times myself.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,480 of 2,084
I get that but for me it would still have gone back. No one should have to wait on a company to fix issues with a brand new product; especially a premium product such as this which is suppose to be on equal footing with the Cube but with a few changes and improvements. Seeing how the wifi complaints on this thread have grow from the beginning it makes me glad I stayed with the Cube which has been flawless. If it had failed in the same way as the Alpha has I would have sent it back too.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #1,481 of 2,084
I get that but for me it would still have gone back. No one should have to wait on a company to fix issues with a brand new product; especially a premium product such as this which is suppose to be on equal footing with the Cube but with a few changes and improvements. Seeing how the wifi complaints on this thread have grow from the beginning it makes me glad I stayed with the Cube which has been flawless. If it had failed in the same way as the Alpha has I would have sent it back too.
100% agree. If it’s not working properly, send it back. I did that. Got a new unit and it works perfectly. It’s most likely just a defective unit.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #1,482 of 2,084
100% agree. If it’s not working properly, send it back. I did that. Got a new unit and it works perfectly. It’s most likely just a defective unit.
its possible but since WiFi is can be such a finicky thing it's difficult to tell from the posts here. But also since there are so many I think that maybe a lot of defective units unfortunately, made it out the door.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #1,483 of 2,084
its possible but since WiFi is can be such a finicky thing it's difficult to tell from the posts here. But also since there are so many I think that maybe a lot of defective units unfortunately, made it out the door.
I can only speak from my own experience, but my first unit had wifi issues, 2nd unit hasnt had a single drop out.

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #1,485 of 2,084
The problem with many reviews isn't always the sponsored part (although, that does play a big part as bad reviews may keep you from getting more stuff later) but also that those review units aren't always the production model (sometimes it's a pre-production or worse a specially produced or tweaked model for review), every function and feature isn't tested and they are almost never "lived with" for a decent amount of time before a review is written and posted just so they can be first out the gate. As someone who reviews stuff I purchase once in a while just to share my own thoughts with others I can tell you first hand from what I've seen that these are some of the major issues that plague many reviews. This is why every review should be questioned especially if you are using it for purchasing reasons. So read as many as you can from different places. I also don't understand why people keep stuff that isn't working properly either but that"s a different issue altogether I suppose.
Wow if these manufacturers are really sending out purposely tweaked models that work flawlessly but somehow don't make it to the production model AND sponsoring advertisement content, that's some class-action, false advertising exposure they're taking on! Anyone have any proof they do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back