Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jun 30, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,426 of 2,082
How snappy UI does Kann Alpha have? Currently in possession of the iBasso DX160 and think it sometimes are slow. Does anyone know what processor inside?
To me the AKKA UI is unacceptably sluggish, with tiny text and small touch targets and an overall bad experience. It looks pretty in pictures and that's pretty much it. It is a fine sounding player but one that does not tickle the joy sensors in any way. I encourage you to look at my many messages on the topic :) I've had it and wanted to love it for more than 6 months ... alas we broke up.

Jul 1, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #1,427 of 2,082
To me the AKKA UI is unacceptably sluggish, with tiny text and small touch targets and an overall bad experience. It looks pretty in pictures and that's pretty much it. It is a fine sounding player but one that does not tickle the joy sensors in any way. I encourage you to look at my many messages on the topic :) I've had it and wanted to love it for more than 6 months ... alas we broke up.
Thank you, I got a feeling it was a bit sluggish because they hide the CPU information. Hope AK take this in to consideration and release a updated version of their Alpha, as a lot of people certainly want more powerful DAP, but also want something that can run smoothly.

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #1,428 of 2,082
Thank you, I got a feeling it was a bit sluggish because they hide the CPU information. Hope AK take this in to consideration and release a updated version of their Alpha, as a lot of people certainly want more powerful DAP, but also want something that can run smoothly.
It is a bit sluggish, but far better than the buggy mess of the DX160.

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #1,429 of 2,082
You can see how obsolete is the Wi-Fi module (limited to the antic 802.11g) so you can guess that all the hardware is at this level ..
Even for the amp part, there are loads of distortion when you go over 135/150 in high gain.

Kann Alpha is just a fail... I am waiting for M17 (maybe the future Dx300Max will do the job too).

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #1,430 of 2,082
You can see how obsolete is the Wi-Fi module (limited to the antic 802.11g) so you can guess that all the hardware is at this level ..
Even for the amp part, there are loads of distortion when you go over 135/150 in high gain.

Kann Alpha is just a fail... I am waiting for M17 (maybe the future Dx300Max will do the job too).
Sadly, all the AKs do struggle with wifi on and off thereby deprecating the joy of Roon.

Jul 2, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,431 of 2,082

oh dear, yes! the wi-fi is a mess as well. I've had to set up a special 2.4GHz network for this alone.

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #1,432 of 2,082
oh dear, yes! the wi-fi is a mess as well. I've had to set up a special 2.4GHz network for this alone.
Sadly, I hit patches where my AK Roon ready devices have issues loading from Roon itself. Whereas there are no issues with other devices streaming from the internet. Or my desktop streaming from Roon Core and they too are on wifi. Sigh...

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #1,434 of 2,082
the wi-fi is a mess as well
my AK Roon ready devices have issues loading from Roon itself
Weird, I am not having any issue with wifi or Roon, despite using the Alpha for a few hours every day.
The only problem I still face is related to Tidal embedded app, which keeps skipping tracks while the "non official" Tidal app works with no issues.

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #1,436 of 2,082
I have my kann alpha since a couple of weeks, in blue no less! So far no issues with wifi. Roon works great. I love that I can switch from roon to local files in a jiffy. Helps in a/b testing tracks from roon vs local.
Stoked!

Jul 21, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #1,438 of 2,082
I have just installed the latest Apple Music app (3.6.0) and it looks like it has lossless capability, but I don’t think there is any way to tell what the player is actually outputting?

Use a toslink cable to the 3.5mm Kann Alpha output and you will see on an external DAC what is the real output rate comming from the Kann Alpha. It should be possible too with the Kann Alpha USB-C port connected to an external DAC

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #1,439 of 2,082
Weird, I am not having any issue with wifi or Roon, despite using the Alpha for a few hours every day.
The only problem I still face is related to Tidal embedded app, which keeps skipping tracks while the "non official" Tidal app works with no issues.
but the non official/sideloaded Tidal app can't play MQA files right? cus I always see the Blue light not Green!

Jul 21, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #1,440 of 2,082
Use a toslink cable to the 3.5mm Kann Alpha output and you will see on an external DAC what is the real output rate comming from the Kann Alpha. It should be possible too with the Kann Alpha USB-C port connected to an external DAC

Thanks, tried this and it looks like it is only outputting 16/44.1 (source file is 24/192) :frowning2:

Also red light remains on, so I assume it it just all 16/44.1 still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back