Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Dec 4, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #646 of 2,082
I believe it is pretty much complete, historically I was not that "aware" about EQ but I have to admit it does really change the game.
Btw, it has to be noted that when you create an EQ profile, a .DAT file is stored locally on the Kann Alpha: an interesting "experiment" would be imho to import a .DAT profile elaborated from other DAPs and see if it can be imported and used.
@JasonNYC do you think this would work? It would be nice then to create/exchange profiles (maybe I am discovering the wheel, but don't see that much such kind of "activity"). Plus if the .DAT format within is "universal", I guess you could do some EQ in other applications and then import the profile on the DAP?

Tried after I saw your post and it doesn't work.

The player doesn't show the file. Even more, I edited one of the DAP files on the player with the content from the guy on youtube. Still nothing, the file disappeared after the edit

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #647 of 2,082
Tried after I saw your post and it doesn't work.

The player doesn't show the file. Even more, I edited one of the DAP files on the player with the content from the guy on youtube. Still nothing, the file disappeared after the edit

I've been too optimistic in this sense then... I believe the DAT file somehow has a proprietary parsing/meta data inside: can you please give me an exporte DAT file or try and load mine (in attachment)?

Attachments

• isine 20.zip
    793 bytes · Views: 0
Dec 4, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #648 of 2,082
Nope, it doesn't work. Loaded your file in the EqLists folder but it doesn't show on the player even after I turned it OFF completely and ON again
IMG_7913.jpg
IMG_7915.jpg

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #649 of 2,082
Ok so I Guess this close the issue :)

That Is unfortunate though, It would have been such an interesting feature and I don't see why then they exposed the DAT files in the First place. @JasonNYC can you enlighten us on this One when you can? :) Tnx

Dec 5, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #651 of 2,082
hie everyone ,
I received the Alpha today and I just started to set it up.
I inserted the micro SD that I had on my other AK player (AK Jr) and I can see and play files there browsing by folder, however they did not show in the library.
I can see there is a "Scanning Media...." message displayed, but it is going since 15 minutes now and nothing shows up in my library.
Is that normal? The Micro SD i 256GB, and about 200 GB are used

Dec 5, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #652 of 2,082
Did you have your music stored in a "Music" folder on the card? If not, by now the player must have created the Music folder. You'll have to drag your albums into that folder.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #653 of 2,082
Did you have your music stored in a "Music" folder on the card? If not, by now the player must have created the Music folder. You'll have to drag your albums into that folder.
thanks, I can't remember if I had a "Music" folder on the micro SD, I just swapped it from the other AK. But I can see files are gradually appearing now, so I guess it is just a matter of time.
One other question I have is about Qobuz, I just downloaded the APK and played a couple of files, supposedly 24/96...but the AK is showing a red light on the volume knob indicating 16/44. Anything I should do to enable full high res with Qobuz? Thanks

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #654 of 2,082
The verdict:
I'm keeping Alpha.
I read somewhere here that Qudelix K5 receiver/external dac can be a solution for EQing Alpha on the go. Blasphemy. Bypassing the Alpha dac*2 is going down in SQ.
K5 is cool for a mobile phone to beef up the sound and allow more free play with the sound but by no means it's better than the Alpha as it is.
All Alpha needs is a bit of enhancement to the EQ component.

Dec 6, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #655 of 2,082
My library scan is completed and all looks good.
I still have the issue with Qobuz...can anybody help?
Another thing that I do not understand is the home button. Pressing that will always take you to the main screen showing what song is playing...but just for the local library. So if you are listening to Tidal and the screen turns off, pushing the home button will take you to the local file that was playing before, I have to navigate the menu to get back to Tidal.
Is this behavior by design? Or am I doing something wrong?

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #656 of 2,082
hi is the kann cube more more powerful than kann alpha
and which is more better sounding

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #658 of 2,082
Dec 6, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #660 of 2,082

Users who are viewing this thread

Back