Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Dec 6, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #661 of 1,163

Kiats

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 27, 2012
Posts
3,505
Likes
1,422
Has anyone tried running Joox APK on the DAP? I had installed it and had it connected to my account. But it keeps telling me that “Sorry, JOOX is not available in this location”... Most puzzling...
 
Dec 6, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #663 of 1,163

pepodenata

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Posts
260
Likes
367
Location
España (Madrid)
thanks, I can't remember if I had a "Music" folder on the micro SD, I just swapped it from the other AK. But I can see files are gradually appearing now, so I guess it is just a matter of time.
One other question I have is about Qobuz, I just downloaded the APK and played a couple of files, supposedly 24/96...but the AK is showing a red light on the volume knob indicating 16/44. Anything I should do to enable full high res with Qobuz? Thanks
This is Qobuz's fault. Even on my pc connected Pro-ject DAC, the Qobuz desktop app does not display the sample rate correctly.
 
Dec 6, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #664 of 1,163

Matpar

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 15, 2018
Posts
552
Likes
165
Location
Europe
Can anyone direct me to where I can get the best price on the Kann alpha? I'm in Canada but US is okay too. Or PM if you're interested in a quick sale?

The lowest rate I saw are on AliExpress, don't know very well the USA/Canadian resellers though.

And we agreed on PM that the One I am selling, being from Europe, It Is not that convenient :)
 
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #665 of 1,163

PortableMusic

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 31, 2020
Posts
120
Likes
64
Location
USA
Can anyone direct me to where I can get the best price on the Kann alpha? I'm in Canada but US is okay too. Or PM if you're interested in a quick sale?

as the Kann Alpha is so new, i doubt that they are discounted. however, during Black Friday, they did give away their leather case with the purchase of a Kann Alpha, and the value of that case if purchased separately would have been something like $140, iirc. anyway, it's something around $140.
 
Dec 6, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #666 of 1,163

PortableMusic

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 31, 2020
Posts
120
Likes
64
Location
USA
but than whats the use of the kann cube now, if kann alpha has same power

well, i guess the key word there is "now". like many technology products, what's the use of something when a "Mark II" comes out, or a "Model 123 Improved" comes out?

one would have to think about one's enjoyment of said previous gen product during its ownership while all the others waiting for a shinier model was unable to enjoy it, so there's that, i suppose.
 
Dec 6, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #667 of 1,163

SBranson

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 21, 2012
Posts
1,470
Likes
1,268
Location
BC, Canada
Can anyone direct me to where I can get the best price on the Kann alpha? I'm in Canada but US is okay too. Or PM if you're interested in a quick sale?

I’ve been eyeing one as well to replace my AK240. HeadphoneBar in Vancouver has a bit of a sale on and it includes the leather case as. Dec. promo
 
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #668 of 1,163

erich6

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 25, 2016
Posts
381
Likes
172
My library scan is completed and all looks good.
I still have the issue with Qobuz...can anybody help?
Another thing that I do not understand is the home button. Pressing that will always take you to the main screen showing what song is playing...but just for the local library. So if you are listening to Tidal and the screen turns off, pushing the home button will take you to the local file that was playing before, I have to navigate the menu to get back to Tidal.
Is this behavior by design? Or am I doing something wrong?

If it's like the SR-25 all you have to do is swipe down from the top and you will see a "what's playing" widget; click on the widget and you will go back to Tidal.
 
Dec 7, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #669 of 1,163

aleniola76

Head-Fier
Joined
May 27, 2018
Posts
84
Likes
65
Location
Italy
Me again... the more I try the more I have questions..
is anybody else having issue with tracks order? For some albums I get the wrong track order with no reason. All my albums are in ALAC format and have tags that works with any other player, however AK is not reading track number only for some of them.
This is happening using the player app, all is good when I browse and launch album using "by folder" ,any clue ?
 
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #672 of 1,163

pepodenata

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Posts
260
Likes
367
Location
España (Madrid)
Hi! Is the Kann Alpha worth the jump in price compared to the SR25 with regards to sound quality? Ill be mainly using iems and earbuds if that helps.


You never know what headphones you are going to use in the future ... Kann Alpha has, not only the power, but also has 3 gain levels that give body and authority even to my iems with EST drivers, planar, etc. It also has various configurable line output levels that make it compatible with a variety of full-size external amplifiers ... that said, I would always try to upgrade my own headphones first. The source and amplification is important, but I always recommend spending 75% of the budget on the best headphones you can afford and spending the remaining 25% on Dac-Amp. Do not rush with the decision and value well the system you want to have in the future ...
 
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #673 of 1,163

jao29

New Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2020
Posts
22
Likes
12
Location
Philipines
You never know what headphones you are going to use in the future ... Kann Alpha has, not only the power, but also has 3 gain levels that give body and authority even to my iems with EST drivers, planar, etc. It also has various configurable line output levels that make it compatible with a variety of full-size external amplifiers ... that said, I would always try to upgrade my own headphones first. The source and amplification is important, but I always recommend spending 75% of the budget on the best headphones you can afford and spending the remaining 25% on Dac-Amp. Do not rush with the decision and value well the system you want to have in the future ...
Thank you for your input. Im still contemplating whether to get the Kann Alpha or the SR25. You make a great point with regards to my future audio purchases, I might pull the trigger on the Kann Alpha now because of this. The only thing from keeping me from buying it is the battery life of the SR25 is significantly better than the Kann Alpha. This is important for me (battery life) as I listen to music for hours.
 
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #674 of 1,163

pepodenata

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Posts
260
Likes
367
Location
España (Madrid)
Thank you for your input. Im still contemplating whether to get the Kann Alpha or the SR25. You make a great point with regards to my future audio purchases, I might pull the trigger on the Kann Alpha now because of this. The only thing from keeping me from buying it is the battery life of the SR25 is significantly better than the Kann Alpha. This is important for me (battery life) as I listen to music for hours.

As for battery life, you don't need to worry about it. I get between 10-14 hours of battery life depending on factors (gain, Tidal-Qobuz wifi transmission, tracks in the sd memory of different sample rates, DSD, Pcm, etc). I think more than enough for the whole day ... and if you need more, you can always take a 1 hour break, and charge the device
which will definitely be good for your hearing health in the future.
 
Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #675 of 1,163

vo_obgyn

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Posts
333
Likes
56
I’ve been eyeing one as well to replace my AK240. HeadphoneBar in Vancouver has a bit of a sale on and it includes the leather case as. Dec. promo
I have an AK 240 that I am very happy with. The only problem is that there hasn’t been an OTA update for some time. It would be nice if we could add Qobuz to our AK 240,
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top