Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #691 of 2,084
It is one thing that Kann Alpha can be used with difficult headphones in some spot listening, and quite another that at some point it is thought (wrongly) that the result of the conduction will come close to desktop amplifiers, full-size, and much less my Sony integrated amplifier. The transformers that these amplifiers have cannot be implemented in any DAP, not even Kann Alpha, the most powerful on the current market.
20201210_211843.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #692 of 2,084
It is one thing that Kann Alpha can be used with difficult headphones in some spot listening, and quite another that at some point it is thought (wrongly) that the result of the conduction will come close to desktop amplifiers, full-size, and much less my Sony integrated amplifier. The transformers that these amplifiers have cannot be implemented in any DAP, not even Kann Alpha, the most powerful on the current market.20201210_211843.jpg

For certain not-too-difficult-to-drive headphones, i.e. my Empyreans, at 32 Ohms impedance, i don't see why the Kann Alpha is at that much of a disadvantage, if any at all!

Please educate me if my understanding is incorrect and that there are major advantages of the sound quality using a desktop amp versus the Kann Alpha with my easy to drive Empyreans.

thank you.

Dec 10, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #693 of 2,084
For certain not-too-difficult-to-drive headphones, i.e. my Empyreans, at 32 Ohms impedance, i don't see why the Kann Alpha is at that much of a disadvantage, if any at all!

Please educate me if my understanding is incorrect and that there are major advantages of the sound quality using a desktop amp versus the Kann Alpha with my easy to drive Empyreans.

thank you.

Empyrean is an easier headset to drive, more important than resistance (ohms), is moderately high sensitivity (100db in Empyrean). But Heedphone is very insensitive (87db). Many of Heddphone owners use their high-powered integrated amplifiers to drive them. On Kan Alpha, Heddphone they will sound, but don't expect their best performance or best sound by far.

Dec 10, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #694 of 2,084
Hi @pepodenata , I see you own the Beyerdynamic Amiron, which has the same drivers as my DT 1990 and 1770.
I found the Kann to drive them well, good level at 110 volume/mid gain. Would you agree?

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #695 of 2,084
Hi @pepodenata , I see you own the Beyerdynamic Amiron, which has the same drivers as my DT 1990 and 1770.
I found the Kann to drive them well, good level at 110 volume/mid gain. Would you agree?
Amiron is moderately driven in: high gain - volume 115 - 3.5mm unbalanced. The half gain is totally insufficient at 3.5mm to handle the Amiron with correct dynamics. I have even asked for a 4.4mm cable to connect my Amiron to Kann Alpha. The cable will arrive early next week, and I hope to evaluate and give my impressions if you are interested. So far my two desktop amps handle the Amiron much better. More scene opening, more dynamics, less effort ...

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #696 of 2,084
high gain - volume 115 - 3.5mm unbalanced.
wow, I can't listen for long time at that volume with my Beyers. Unfortunately I would not be able to use the 4.4 balanced connections with my headphones....but I will read your impressions with interest

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #697 of 2,084
wow, I can't listen for long time at that volume with my Beyers. Unfortunately I would not be able to use the 4.4 balanced connections with my headphones....but I will read your impressions with interest
Take the test, you will see how you notice differences for the better. Greetings.

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #698 of 2,084
I am using ALAC, could that be the difference ?
Quoting myself here.....ALAC was the problem indeed. I recreated a 2nd library in FLAC (thanks XLD for batch conversion!) and now all works fine, the first scan took 11 minutes...

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #699 of 2,084
How do you guys charge your Kann Alpha? I saw a warning on the manual that says “do not attempt to charge using a 12v charger. Device malfunction may result.” It also says that using a separate quick charger (9v 1.67a) should do the trick. Im only using the standard apple charger, the ones that came with iphones. Is it safe to use that apple charger for my Kann Alpha?

Dec 11, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #700 of 2,084
Take the test, you will see how you notice differences for the better. Greetings.
you were absolutely rigght, Alpha plays even better on high gain.
Now here comes my dumb question... my headphones are unbalanced (BEyer DT 1990 and 1770). Can I use a cable with 4.4 connector to benefit of the higher volume form the balanced out from the Alpha?

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #701 of 2,084
Now here comes my dumb question... my headphones are unbalanced (BEyer DT 1990 and 1770). Can I use a cable with 4.4 connector to benefit of the higher volume form the balanced out from the Alpha?

Those two models (1990 and 1770) cannot work balanced, they would have to have connectors to both cups (one per cup). So, the only option would be to send them to rewire ... There is an online store that does this service ... which would be expensive ...

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #702 of 2,084

I played always on high gain, and found myself using it at 80/90 even with my Isine 20.. :D

Please do yourself a further gift and go for the 4.4 balanced option somehow.. it is worthy imho :)
btw if you need a good "cable guy" :) we have a good one in Rome (but you know it already maybe, brand is Invictus): got 7n silver for the Isine... veil up there and full throttle details/separation :)

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #703 of 2,084
I played always on high gain, and found myself using it at 80/90 even with my Isine 20.. :D

Please do yourself a further gift and go for the 4.4 balanced option somehow.. it is worthy imho :)
btw if you need a good "cable guy" :) we have a good one in Rome (but you know it already maybe, brand is Invictus): got 7n silver for the Isine... veil up there and full throttle details/separation :)
I should rather go for a different headphone, but I am satisfied with my unbalanced DT1770 at the moment....let’s ser for how long 😉
Also, I am waiting for a new pair if IEM which should be a definitive one , Xelento Remote.
Let’s see how those ones go

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #704 of 2,084
I should rather go for a different headphone, but I am satisfied with my unbalanced DT1770 at the moment....let’s ser for how long 😉
Also, I am waiting for a new pair if IEM which should be a definitive one , Xelento Remote.
Let’s see how those ones go

I really like and use the Xelento almost every day (mostely connected to a Qudelix 5K)..
This IEM is rather very easy to drive with any dap on the market..
I would be really astonished the Kann Alpha would need more "Low Gain" for the Xelento ..

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #705 of 2,084
How do you guys charge your Kann Alpha? I saw a warning on the manual that says “do not attempt to charge using a 12v charger. Device malfunction may result.” It also says that using a separate quick charger (9v 1.67a) should do the trick. Im only using the standard apple charger, the ones that came with iphones. Is it safe to use that apple charger for my Kann Alpha?

I'd like to hear a decent recommendation too. My web searches "fast charger of 9V 1.67A" hardly give a definitive answer either.

I find aspects of the manual a little opaque and unhelpful at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back