Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Nov 14, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #452 of 2,082
i'm not sure kann alpha supports UAPP. we need someone to confirm

I believe It doesn't, That's why I Ask how the EQ works in this sense (I mean if it's effective/well implemented). Having my Isine 20 to "tame", I would not like to miss the party Just because I can't properly tune in..

Nov 14, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #453 of 2,082
Thanks. I will look for one for se100 so :)
I tried a spare one I had for sp1000m and it was too long
I think you may have the same issue with the SE100 one. The SP1000m was definitely smaller than the SE200 screen when I had it. Maybe the original Kann might be a better option? Could be worth going on the official AK site and looking at screen sizes.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #454 of 2,082
Kann Alpha is my first dap so I can't talk about what other daps sound like ... I was never struck by any daps before the Alpha was released, and it did so because of its ability to drive any type of headphone ... What I can say is that it sounds amazing. It's a refined sound and even sounds better to me than my hifi community-recognized desktop dac (Pro-ject prebox S2). Before buying it, I thought I would miss the ability to install UAPP that I have on my LG V30, but the truth is that it sounds much better, so no Uapp is necessary at all. I use it more and more, even as a transport connected to my integrated amplifier, where I plug in my ADX5000 (one of the most transparent headphones on the market) and the result is 10.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #455 of 2,082
For those that have Kann Alpha, can you try to pair it with your car? For some reason, my car and the Kann Alpha can not discover each other. Therefore, I cannot use this DAP in my car :frowning2: Yes, my car can pair with everything else. Yes, I can pair Kann with one of my BT headset. It might be some kind of compatibility... I just want to know if anyone is experiencing this. Thanks in advance.

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #456 of 2,082
I think you may have the same issue with the SE100 one. The SP1000m was definitely smaller than the SE200 screen when I had it. Maybe the original Kann might be a better option? Could be worth going on the official AK site and looking at screen sizes.
Too late :)Ordered them a couple of hours ago. I may cut them and make the size of the alpha screen. However, it’s weird no screen protectors for the alpha are available anywhere..beside a chinese seller on amazon with delivery in january. The AK ones included with the alpha makes the screen appears like the one of a smartphone from 1990s..

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #458 of 2,082
One thing I’m trying to understand about this dap is related to the ability to bring in APK from outside sources. The description makes this seem possible but I understand this was typically not allowed with A&K devices. Can this be done?

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #459 of 2,082
One thing I’m trying to understand about this dap is related to the ability to bring in APK from outside sources. The description makes this seem possible but I understand this was typically not allowed with A&K devices. Can this be done?

Not sure what you mean by outside sources? APK is a universal format for android devices. I am running Alibaba’s Xiami and Tencent’s QQMusic on all my AK devices.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #461 of 2,082
I understood that apps on A&K devices would need to be approved by A&K and that there version of Android was locked down. Am I wrong?

See some posts above, we already went through that, basically you have a whitelist of supported apps from A&K, so you gotta check that list.

https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/support/faq/view.asp?li=1000606

Btw, can someone tell me if the Tidal app gives the same limits as per other Android devices? Namely the dreadful fact It seems Tidal somehow "manipulate" songs before delivery to DAC? Maybe under the scenario AK managed to build, this has been overridden too (?). Thanks

Nov 16, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #462 of 2,082
See some posts above, we already went through that, basically you have a whitelist of supported apps from A&K, so you gotta check that list.

https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/support/faq/view.asp?li=1000606

Btw, can someone tell me if the Tidal app gives the same limits as per other Android devices? Namely the dreadful fact It seems Tidal somehow "manipulate" songs before delivery to DAC? Maybe under the scenario AK managed to build, this has been overridden too (?). Thanks

AK OS overrides normal Android limitations which downsample audio files so you should have bit perfect reproduction. Most of the daps do that with their customised Android (along with AK daps, iBasso daps, hiby and fiio daps do the same). As far as I know it’s Android and not Tidal app that downsample the audio in normal smartphones.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #463 of 2,082
AK OS overrides normal Android limitations which downsample audio files so you should have bit perfect reproduction. Most of the daps do that with their customised Android (along with AK daps, iBasso daps, hiby and fiio daps do the same). As far as I know it’s Android and not Tidal app that downsample the audio in normal smartphones.

Partially agree with that :)
I still "fear" Tidal in its Android declination, does "something" when managing a song which goes beyond the mere downsampling, but I hope to be proven wrong. :)

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #464 of 2,082
Partially agree with that :)
I still "fear" Tidal in its Android declination, does "something" when managing a song which goes beyond the mere downsampling, but I hope to be proven wrong. :)

As far as I know it doesn’t but I left Tidal for Qobuz Studio some time ago so it may have changed :)

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #465 of 2,082
i'm pretty sure it's the tidal app, it just sounds like the music has been tweaked.
streaming with uapp or using local flacs with poweramp for example sounds much more natural.

edit: altho i don't know how kann alpha uses tidal, from general experience with android that's my conclusion

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back