Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Nov 16, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #466 of 2,084
i'm pretty sure it's the tidal app, it just sounds like the music has been tweaked.
streaming with uapp or using local flacs with poweramp for example sounds much more natural.

edit: altho i don't know how kann alpha uses tidal, from general experience with android that's my conclusion

UAPP is made to override Android OS limitations :wink:

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #468 of 2,084
i'm not sure kann alpha supports UAPP. we need someone to confirm
UAPP cannot be installed as it is a paid app that needs Google Play Store installed in order to purchase it and AK players do not have Google Play store installed. If I am wrong, please let me know. I do use UAPP on my Samsung S10 and know I had to pay for it through the Google Play Store and couldn't find a way to pay for it directly from the developer.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 16, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #469 of 2,084
UAPP cannot be installed as it is a paid app that needs Google Play Store installed in order to purchase it and AK players do not have Google Play store installed. If I am wrong, please let me know. I do use UAPP on my Samsung S10 and know I had to pay for it through the Google Play Store and couldn't find a way to pay for it directly from the developer.

Thanks for the feedback @JasonNYC , It sounds logical indeed.

Btw if SQ on Tidal Is ok from the start, and if the EQ of the DAP works fine, there would be no Need for UAPP I Guess. I'll receive mine soon, so we'll see I Guess :wink:

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #471 of 2,084
I really loved my kann alpha. It can power my gears smoothly. But on day 2. 3 dead pixels come on the screen after i charged it while its off. It can be seen while its booting but when its done booting its unvisible. Unless you set your brightness to max. I dunno what to do with these. Anyone having like mine? Can i know the cause also.?

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #472 of 2,084
I really loved my kann alpha. It can power my gears smoothly. But on day 2. 3 dead pixels come on the screen after i charged it while its off. It can be seen while its booting but when its done booting its unvisible. Unless you set your brightness to max. I dunno what to do with these. Anyone having like mine? Can i know the cause also.?
Change it

Nov 17, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #474 of 2,084
may i ask if anyone here has tried to compare the Kann Alpha with a desktop DAC/headphones amp please? for example, something like a Topping D90/A90 compared with the Kann Alpha?

i am currently using my Kann Alpha with my Meze Emperean headphones, it's great, but i'm curious if a desktop DAC+headphone amp might have dramatic differences?

i'm really enjoying my Kann Alpha now but i was thinking that it might be even more convenient when i'm sitting at my computer desk to have a desktop DAC+headphones amp plugged into my PC tower's USB port because then, i'd be able to navigate Tidal using their Windows app, which is very large on a computer monitor and easy to choose songs/albums, do playlists, favorites, etc., rather than trying to poke at the tiny screen of the Kann Alpha.

still, the Kann Alpha is a true marvel of a device considering its diminutive size, high quality, super new ES9068 dac chips (dual!!), and it's very substantial power output!

thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #475 of 2,084
Right now, brutal combination! Kann Alpha as a source transmitting Tidal, 2RCA Jack to my Sony integrated amplifier ... Connected my dear Audio-Technica ADX5000. The Paradise.
20201117_203131.jpg
20201117_203214.jpg
20201117_203203.jpg
20201117_202441.jpg
20201117_203019.jpg
20201117_202530.jpg

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #476 of 2,084
may i ask if anyone here has tried to compare the Kann Alpha with a desktop DAC/headphones amp please? for example, something like a Topping D90/A90 compared with the Kann Alpha?

i am currently using my Kann Alpha with my Meze Emperean headphones, it's great, but i'm curious if a desktop DAC+headphone amp might have dramatic differences?

i'm really enjoying my Kann Alpha now but i was thinking that it might be even more convenient when i'm sitting at my computer desk to have a desktop DAC+headphones amp plugged into my PC tower's USB port because then, i'd be able to navigate Tidal using their Windows app, which is very large on a computer monitor and easy to choose songs/albums, do playlists, favorites, etc., rather than trying to poke at the tiny screen of the Kann Alpha.

still, the Kann Alpha is a true marvel of a device considering its diminutive size, high quality, super new ES9068 dac chips (dual!!), and it's very substantial power output!

thank you in advance.
You can connect the Alpha as a USB DAC to your PC tower's USB port, and enjoy the Empyrean using the Tidal windows app conveniently :gs1000smile: without additional investment.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #477 of 2,084
Hi, @JasonNYC , just a technical question.

On the website is is stated this:
MQA-CD playback is also supported on KANN ALPHA when playing MQA-CDs using the AK CD-Ripper. You now do not need special, expensive equipment to play back master quality audio CDs.

Which I interpret as the option to use the CD-Ripper in order to plug it to the Kann Alpha and play directly from there the CD.
Since there is also the possibility to rip the same CD though, my question is, would the KA be able to rip then also MQA-CDs keeping the MQA format, or in that case it would rip the "simple" CD trace with classical sampling, hence loosing the MQA encoding?

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #478 of 2,084
You can connect the Alpha as a USB DAC to your PC tower's USB port, and enjoy the Empyrean using the Tidal windows app conveniently :gs1000smile: without additional investment.

@Newsee: thank you kindly for this good idea. i looked up in the manual for the Kann Alpha and there seems to be numerous limitations, as far as i understand. A screenshot of page 36 of the manual is attached below for your convenience - that's the relevant page regarding connecting the Kann Alpha to a PC.

it seems to say that the maximum resolution is PCM 384kHz up to 32 bit. It doesn't talk about whether MQA is supported or not.

Previous/Play/Next buttons are unavailable it says. Does that mean we simply use our desktop PC's Tidal app to control the playback tracks?

Thank you.

Attachments

• CONNECT Kann Alpha to a PC  20201118.JPG
    CONNECT Kann Alpha to a PC 20201118.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 0
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #479 of 2,084
For our italian users, here a Quick intro/review on the Kann Alpha from Spirit Torino, which you maybe know already for their outstanding high-end headphones (they are also dealers for some brands like Lotoo and, as you can see, from now on also A&K):

Ciao a tutti! :)

P.s. he speaks about the EQ settings for a pair or Isine 20, which are mine actually :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #480 of 2,084
Finally got my unit, and starting to try It out :)

Very interesting DAP; out of curiosity I tried to drive an old pair of AKG 260 that account for 600ohm... In High gain I could go past the comfortable volume :)

My only gripe so far Is the dreadful "skipping" when listening to Tidal songs.. I launch a Song, After some seconds It skip to the following or, worse, It Just stops. did you have the same issue?

Will post my impressions later on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back