Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Oct 29, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #331 of 2,082
But there will be an email associated with your Tidal account... isn't it? In that case enter the email in the native tidal app and your password...
Thank you yes I am using my AppleID email login and password that I use successfully in Tidal on my iPhone. I'm saying this same login/password does not work in the native Tidal app on the Alpha. I have a support ticket open with Tidal and am awaiting their response so hopefully I can get my Tidal offline files soon.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #333 of 2,082
I'm tempted by the Kann Alpha after reading all the reviews but I'm wondering if it will be a real upgrade to the SP1000m?

I'm pretty sure it's not meant by AK to be an upgrade, it's basically a portable and more updated Kann CUBE.
It definitely has some advantages over the SP1000m, it has an enormous amount of output power and can make large high impedance headphones sound really nice compared to the SP1000m. It has a 4.4mm balanced jack and has a stylish LED ring indicator.
It can be used as a proper external desktop DAC. It also has great battery time from each full charge.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #334 of 2,082
I'm pretty sure it's not meant by AK to be an upgrade, it's basically a portable and more updated Kann CUBE.
It definitely has some advantages over the SP1000m, it has an enormous amount of output power and can make large high impedance headphones sound really nice compared to the SP1000m. It has a 4.4mm balanced jack and has a stylish LED ring indicator.
It can be used as a proper external desktop DAC.

Thanks DAPpower! Indeed, this is the most obvious part but I was thinking sound quality.
ES9068AS vs. AK4497EQ : what can I expect?
The SP1000 has also been released over 3 years ago

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #335 of 2,082
It can be used as a proper external desktop DAC. It also has great battery time from each full charge.
I hope it is as 1000m wasn't that great sq.
I will know tomorrow when my Alpha arrives, if it isn't it goes back next day😇

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #336 of 2,082
Thanks DAPpower! Indeed, this is the most obvious part but I was thinking sound quality.
ES9068AS vs. AK4497EQ : what can I expect?
The SP1000 has also been released over 3 years ago

No problem, as you may already know, the ESS chips are usually going to sound more relaxed compared to their AKM counterparts, they're also quite efficient on power which is why the battery life is better in the Alpha. The SP1000m has the typical AK "Ultima" balanced sound signature with a bit of more warmth and low end on the SP1000m specifically.

Oct 31, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #339 of 2,082
Greetings! Long time audiophile, out of the hobby for 12 years (moved to a different type of home requiring the installation of in-wall speakers :frowning2: ).

just bought the Kann Alpha with the Empyreans in hopes of reigniting my audiophile hobby again, albeit without the visceral impact of speakers, unfortunately.

how are you guys feeling about the Alpha?

Nov 1, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #341 of 2,082
how are you guys feeling about the Alpha?

I agree with the previous comment - definitely a keeper. I've heard it's pretty great with the Empyreans too. Crutchfield offers a 60-day no questions return policy, so if you're curious, there's a way to check it out without having to fully commit until you know you're going to like it.

Nov 1, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #343 of 2,082
Hello,

anyone this DAP with Sennheiser HD660s and HD800s?

Or some other big cans?

regards,
Simon
No need to worry, Kann Alpha will perfectly drive 3.5mm unbalanced 660s and balanced hd800s.

Nov 1, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #344 of 2,082
Usage scenario:

i have a somewhat unorthodox expected usage scenario for my Kann Alpha - i intend to use it 90%+ at my computer desk, where i spend 5+ hours per day. maybe once in a while, i might take it and go to the sofa and recline and relax there for a bit, but 90%+ of the time, i expect to be at my desk using the Alpha with my Empyreans.

as such, my concern is how that would affect the life of the Alpha, particularly vis-a-vis the lithium battery which is non-user replaceable?

leaving the Alpha plugged in all the time is likely NOT a good option, as similar to laptop battery management, it is not recommended to leave it plugged in all the time, and laptops have far more sophisticated battery management algorithms.

may i ask the experienced good folks here whether i ought to plug it in until it reaches 100%, then use it till it goes down to, say, 50%, then plug it back in?

what might be the best way to use it virtually all the time at my desk please?

thank you all in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back