Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Sep 9, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #46 of 2,084
Just when I had the SE200 in my final 2 or 3 dap decision.

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #47 of 2,084
How exactly does Thai people have it before the US ? Are they a bigger market or what
They’re a big big market. Eletech sent them like 40 Iliads (at 1800$ each) and they sold out in like 22 minutes lol

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #48 of 2,084
Just when I had the SE200 in my final 2 or 3 dap decision.

The general consensus so far (from what I've read) is that the AK side is supposed to sound significantly better than the ESS side so I wouldn't say the Alpha convolutes things for you... depending on what you prioritise in a DAP.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #50 of 2,084
Dimensions? Looks smaller than KANN CUBE, which would be welcomed.

Similar in size to the original KANN.

KANN vs KANN ALPHA Top.JPG
KANN vs KANN ALPHA side.JPG
KANN vs KANN ALPHA front.JPG

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 9, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #51 of 2,084
The general consensus so far (from what I've read) is that the AK side is supposed to sound significantly better than the ESS side so I wouldn't say the Alpha convolutes things for you... depending on what you prioritise in a DAP.
Then I'm in minority group. Initially ESS side sounded not so great on SE200, but after FW update ESS side sounds better (although AK keeps saying that FW does not affect sounds). ESS side sounds smoother and a bit laid back but quite resolving and also airy. I listen to ESS side 80% more than AKM side on my SE200. That is why I'm interested in Alpha thinking that the sound signature is similar to SE200 but with more power. YMMV

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #53 of 2,084
A&K using 4.4mm...how crazier can 2020 get??!

AK allowing selecting dac filters in 2020 is also making 2020 crazier. Next will be murder hornets with miniature headphones on their heads.

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #55 of 2,084
How exactly does Thai people have it before the US ? Are they a bigger market or what

The US has never been a big market for DAPs or head-fi.

Also you see this quite often when a 1k+ DAP gets released in markets and OEM tries to get major US tech sites and Youtubers to review them only to be faced with them blasting away on how DAPs are irrelevant in the days of smartphones, this in turn drives away consumer demands. The US is really not a good breeding ground for head-fi culture in general even when there's disposable income, while picking any Asian countries and you'll probably get more sales. It's almost like trying to sell compact cars to Americans and muscle cars to Europeans - sometimes a product class just don't fit the culture.

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #56 of 2,084

Quite surprised by this assessment I have done a meetup with a dozen people everyone liked the ESS better.... to me AK output is more forward and punchy but less refined... YMMV

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #57 of 2,084
A&K, 4 4mm? I am still sleeping or is it real? I said to my self... cool. It was only a matter of natural course of life, many DAP Manufacturers were already adapting 4.4.

Aren't both Cowon and A&K both owned by IRiver, I'm surprised they waited this long with the Cowon Plenue L having 4.4mm ages ago.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #58 of 2,084
Then I'm in minority group. Initially ESS side sounded not so great on SE200, but after FW update ESS side sounds better (although AK keeps saying that FW does not affect sounds). ESS side sounds smoother and a bit laid back but quite resolving and also airy. I listen to ESS side 80% more than AKM side on my SE200. That is why I'm interested in Alpha thinking that the sound signature is similar to SE200 but with more power. YMMV

I very much agree with you on how great the ESS side sounds. I did not manage to listen to the original FW as the new FW was out when I received my unit. I am surprised how well AK has implemented the ESS DACs considering that I was not impressed with how the Kann Cube sounded with the dual ESS 038Pro DACs. The Elysium sounds sublime (very good texture and layers on mids) with the SE200 ESS output and I have gotten feedback from my dealer friends that they have received the same impressions from their customers on the ESS output.

If Alpha performs at a similar or higher level with so much more power, I believe AK has a winner. Pricing to me looks attractive as well.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #59 of 2,084
Quite surprised by this assessment I have done a meetup with a dozen people everyone liked the ESS better.... to me AK output is more forward and punchy but less refined... YMMV

The difference between the ESS and AK output on the SE200 is very distinct to me. The ESS is more intimate with emphasis on mids and more laid back. Great for vocals giving a very emotional presentation on the Elysiums. The AK is you mentioned is very energetic, punchy with a larger stage. Great for instrumentals (esp large scale orchestral), Pop and EDM.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #60 of 2,084

Users who are viewing this thread

Back