Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #1,771 of 2,082
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #1,773 of 2,082
According to one of these schemes, I re-soldered to the 2.5 balance for the koss porta pro headphones with the replacement of the cable.

Yes, I see that there are also variations in 2.5 mm TRRS as well (after some research). I did not realize that previously. Learned something new... :sunglasses:

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #1,774 of 2,082
Yes, I see that there are also variations in 2.5 mm TRRS as well (after some research). I did not realize that previously. Learned something new... :sunglasses:
I just thought about it and in order not to spoil not to burn the amplifier at the player I asked. I have been friends with a soldering iron since childhood, I like to design something😉

Dec 21, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #1,775 of 2,082
Hey @JasonNYC is there any chance the original Kann will ever get a firmware update to make Tidal work again?

Dec 23, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #1,776 of 2,082
This is a feature that is being looked into adding in a future firmware update. I do not have an ETA on when/if it will happen. I will share more info when I have it.
Hi Jason,

Happy Holidays to you and all AK family! Just wanted to kindly check if there is any ETA on next firmware update? Also, any chance that player could be charged during DAC mode?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #1,778 of 2,082
I’m looking for a dap to use with the Aeon 2 Noire, does anyone here use this pairing regularly and had any issues with the current requirements of a low impedance planar?

I should add that I don’t plan on using streaming at all, it will probably never be connected to the internet, I’m purely local files. All the issues I’ve read on this thread seem to be related to streaming, any other problems anyones encountered? I’m currently using the dx160 and like the sound.

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #1,779 of 2,082
I’m looking for a dap to use with the Aeon 2 Noire, does anyone here use this pairing regularly and had any issues with the current requirements of a low impedance planar?

I should add that I don’t plan on using streaming at all, it will probably never be connected to the internet, I’m purely local files. All the issues I’ve read on this thread seem to be related to streaming, any other problems anyones encountered? I’m currently using the dx160 and like the sound.
dx160 is a good sound player, but not an android. Alpha is a more dynamic player, but more neutral sounding. Aeon 2 Noire didn't listen. And there are still problems. For example, badly, very badly sleeps, for 8 hours in a pause it loses up to 20% of its charge

Only turn off completely

And, oddly enough, but apparently I'm the only one here who has no problems with streaming and data streaming.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #1,780 of 2,082
dx160 is a good sound player, but not an android. Alpha is a more dynamic player, but more neutral sounding. Aeon 2 Noire didn't listen. And there are still problems. For example, badly, very badly sleeps, for 8 hours in a pause it loses up to 20% of its charge

Only turn off completely
I have exactly the same issues with the dx160 tbh. I’ve accidentally left it on overnight before and it has emptied the battery completely. I think this can be a common issue with these players.

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #1,781 of 2,082
I have exactly the same issues with the dx160 tbh. I’ve accidentally left it on overnight before and it has emptied the battery completely. I think this can be a common issue with these players.
on the addon from Lurker I did not have this, a maximum of 6% loss per night

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #1,784 of 2,082
Would have been interested in the dx300 but I can’t seem to find it anywhere in the UK.
Only if on the secondary. This is what I do in Ukraine. Otherwise it is very expensive, new.
Alpha was bought, not new for 870$

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #1,785 of 2,082
Would have been interested in the dx300 but I can’t seem to find it anywhere in the UK.
DX300 is out of production from what I understand. I think it's because of lack of availability of the Cirrus Logic Dac chips. Not sure if it's on pause or completely discontinued. If you find one, try to audition it first. I have an Ibasso DX220 as well as the Alpha and I didn't really like the DX300. In fact, I have the Alpha because I didn't like the DX300. I know a lot of people love it but I wasn't a big fan. Just one persons opinion though so you may love the DX300 as many others seem to.

With the Kann Alpha (and all my players) I really just play off the internal memory or microsd card. No issues at all with Alpha that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back