Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #1,801 of 2,082
Ah. Ok. This is what I was worried about being a possibility. Did you find a portable solution that worked?

The only portable solutions I have found are :

1) The Less Bx2+ (2x3W) as external portable amp for any dap offers good sound quality.. but it's bulky and not really convenient to use

2) Otherwise, now I mainly use the Fiio M17 as DAP... it can move properly without clipping the DCA Stealth and the Heddphone one. . The M17 in a desktop mode (with an external power supply DC 12V3A) is even a bit more impressive in ultra low frequencies (10hz to 20hz).

Every thing else I bought failed, though they are announced as powerful (Kann Alpha, Centrance M8V2, xDuoo XC-05, ifi pas+4.4mm and 2.5mm, ...)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #1,802 of 2,082
The only portable solutions I have found are :

1) The Less Bx2+ (2x3W) as external portable amp for any dap offers good sound quality.. but it's bulky and not really convenient to use

2) Otherwise, now I mainly use the Fiio M17 as DAP... it can move properly without clipping the DCA Stealth and the Heddphone one. . The M17 in a desktop mode (with an external power supply DC 12V3A) is even a bit more impressive in ultra low frequencies (10hz to 20hz).

Every thing else I bought failed, though they are announced as powerful (Kann Alpha, Centrance M8V2, xDuoo XC-05, ifi pas+4.4mm and 2.5mm, ...)

I think the stealth might be slightly harder to run then aeon 2 and I don’t listen to music at high volumes as I have anxieties about damaging my hearing.

The m17 is too pricey for what I would be willing to spend on a dap.

I think the alpha might be what I need, especially as two users here have aeon 2’s without any issues.

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #1,804 of 2,082
I think the stealth might be slightly harder to run then aeon 2 and I don’t listen to music at high volumes as I have anxieties about damaging my hearing.

The m17 is too pricey for what I would be willing to spend on a dap.

I think the alpha might be what I need, especially as two users here have aeon 2’s without any issues.
Yes, I remembered that one of the reviewers said to me that Alpha will work well for aeon2

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #1,805 of 2,082
You know, I'm not sure if it's safe for the amplifier. I think there are concerns. To be honest, I am afraid to conduct such an experiment. If there is real evidence that it is safe, then yes, apparently it is possible, but I did not mean to listen at the same time. I have several dd adapters, and in order to protect the Alpha connectors from wear and tear, I thought it was possible to simultaneously turn on two dd adapters 3.5 and 4.4, but maybe this is stupidity.
What do you think?🙂
Just to keep the adapters plugged in? I would think that would be safe. Using at the same time, I don't know. But, for example, the 3.5 adapter only allows you to use 4.4 or 2.5 in the 3.5 single ended jack. You'd still have to remove the adapter to use a 3.5 plug in the 3.5 jack. They'd need to make jack savers like they make socket savers for tube sockets.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #1,806 of 2,082
Just to keep the adapters plugged in? I would think that would be safe. Using at the same time, I don't know. But, for example, the 3.5 adapter only allows you to use 4.4 or 2.5 in the 3.5 single ended jack. You'd still have to remove the adapter to use a 3.5 plug in the 3.5 jack. They'd need to make jack savers like they make socket savers for tube sockets.
Thank you .I will look, maybe someone will explain exactly. Maybe Jason will tell , although lately he hasn't even come here and hasn't answered questions.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #1,807 of 2,082
Since the question came up regarding the Aeon2/Kann Alpha pairing, I sat down to do some focused comparing between the Alpha and my THX789 fed by the Sony TA-ZH1ES.

When doing the A/B test it’s clear to me that the biggest difference between the Alpha and the THX is soundstage and sense of space. Everything is more laid out with better separation on the THX. The Alpha feels a bit more crowded in this regard. About bass performance (which is normally where you can tell if something is under-amped) I don’t hear any major difference between the two. Perhaps the THX is a bit more dynamic, but it’s not apparent until you go back and forth and really concentrate, in other words nothing you notice under normal listening conditions.

So to sum up, if I sit at a desk where I can use desktop equipment, I would use it. If I feel like lying down on my couch with no desktop equipment at hand, I don’t feel like I’m missing anything by using just the Alpha.

Edit: I tested the track "Cradle to the grave" as suggested by @newworld666 and he is right, there is a lot of clipping in the lower frequencies. However the volume level it takes to get this clipping is for me much too high. When I listen at comfortable levels there is no clipping.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #1,808 of 2,082
Since the question came up regarding the Aeon2/Kann Alpha pairing, I sat down to do some focused comparing between the Alpha and my THX789 fed by the Sony TA-ZH1ES.

When doing the A/B test it’s clear to me that the biggest difference between the Alpha and the THX is soundstage and sense of space. Everything is more laid out with better separation on the THX. The Alpha feels a bit more crowded in this regard. About bass performance (which is normally where you can tell if something is under-amped) I don’t hear any major difference between the two. Perhaps the THX is a bit more dynamic, but it’s not apparent until you go back and forth and really concentrate, in other words nothing you notice under normal listening conditions.

So to sum up, if I sit at a desk where I can use desktop equipment, I would use it. If I feel like lying down on my couch with no desktop equipment at hand, I don’t feel like I’m missing anything by using just the Alpha.

Edit: I tested the track "Cradle to the grave" as suggested by @newworld666 and he is right, there is a lot of clipping in the lower frequencies. However the volume level it takes to get this clipping is for me much too high. When I listen at comfortable levels there is no clipping.
Great analysis. Thanks for this. I’ve got my alpha on order now. Getting the Noire’s later in the month but will be able to try it out on my Aeon 2 Open before then anyway. Looking forward to trying out my first A&K when it arrives.

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #1,810 of 2,082
While on the topic of the KA with headphones, does anyone have experience using the player with ZMF Verite Closed or the HD800s?
I use the KA with Sennheiser HD800s, medium gain, and the sound and soundstage is amazing. Retrieval of detail from the HD800s is top top class, best dynamic headphone paring with KA in my opinion

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #1,812 of 2,082
I had an argument with one person. Is it possible to simultaneously insert adapters (or / and headphones) into 3.5 and 4.4 jacks. Tell me who thinks about it?
If you plug a headphone jack into more than one jack, the player will only play back on the output that was last plugged in. The other outputs are turned off once the player detects a new device being plugged in to eliminate any possible noise interference from the other jacks.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 10, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #1,813 of 2,082
If you plug a headphone jack into more than one jack, the player will only play back on the output that was last plugged in. The other outputs are turned off once the player detects a new device being plugged in to eliminate any possible noise interference from the other jacks.
Thanks👍😃

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #1,814 of 2,082
I’m using the Aeon 2 with my Kann Alpha, no issues at all, even out of the unbalanced output. Also using the Diana V2 balanced, sounds great. I turn my player off when not in use (boots up really quick so I don’t see why not). Also I don’t have any issues with Wi-Fi or streaming. I use internal storage and streaming about 50/50. For the price I think this is a brilliant player!
Been using the Alpha and my noires now for a couple of days. I agree with all your comments. It’s an incredible player. I was worried that it would be a side grade step from my dx160 and was getting a bit obsessed with with trying to find the right player. Hugely relieved now. This is a major step up in every way.
Ive even added Apple Music after saying I wouldn’t stream on it and currently listening to the Dune soundtrack and it’s perfect.

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #1,815 of 2,082
Been using the Alpha and my noires now for a couple of days. I agree with all your comments. It’s an incredible player. I was worried that it would be a side grade step from my dx160 and was getting a bit obsessed with with trying to find the right player. Hugely relieved now. This is a major step up in every way.
Ive even added Apple Music after saying I wouldn’t stream on it and currently listening to the Dune soundtrack and it’s perfect.
Always nice to hear a sunshine story! I also always said that I don’t need streaming on my portable device (longtime Sony WM1-owner). But having streaming is just darn convenient!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back