Astell&Kern Launches Four New Products at High End 2019 Munich
May 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #31 of 132
Not 100% sure. If I had to guess, mid to late July readily available in dealers to be safe. Let me confirm with the team in the morning.

50 this year and plan to drop out of the work scene at 55, but yeah your right think I'll treat myself to a new Kann cube as well, just landed in New York for a week the wife wants to do some shopping ( yawn) where is the best places to go to spend my cash on headfi goodies ?

Audio46 and probably bhphoto?

May 8, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #32 of 132
50 this year and plan to drop out of the work scene at 55, but yeah your right think I'll treat myself to a new Kann cube as well, just landed in New York for a week the wife wants to do some shopping ( yawn) where is the best places to go to spend my cash on headfi goodies ?

Audio46 looks like a place to check out. They carry many higher end portable products.

May 8, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #34 of 132
So what is the actual reason no 4.4, and instead exotic stuff like XLR?
We have supported 2.5mm balanced for 6+ years starting with the AK240 and with all of our partner IEMs and headphones. 99% of the other DAP manufacturers were also supporting 2.5mm until Sony being Sony launched 4.4mm to go against the norm and try to establish their own standard.

I will not get into a debate about 2.5 vs 4.4. Everything in this industry is personal preference and what one person likes another doesn't, but personally speaking, not as an AK rep, I've never had an issue with 2.5mm. Commuting for years in NYC on subways, buses, walking with players in my pocket or bag, never had an issue with the 2.5mm jack. Have had more than one issue with mmcx connections on IEMs from various manufacturers, but never 2.5mm jack.

XLR is more geared towards 2-channel home systems connections to connect KANN CUBE to a 2-channel balanced system.

(edited to add) We may support 4.4 in the future, but as of now, no plans to do so.

Last edited:
Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 8, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #35 of 132
We have supported 2.5mm balanced for 6+ years starting with the AK240 and with all of our partner IEMs and headphones.

Yes, I forgot the 2.5mm started with the AK240, not the original 100 series even though I owned an AK100 (original) and AK120.

May 8, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #37 of 132
We have supported 2.5mm balanced for 6+ years starting with the AK240 and with all of our partner IEMs and headphones. 99% of the other DAP manufacturers were also supporting 2.5mm until Sony being Sony launched 4.4mm to go against the norm and try to establish their own standard.

Except... 2.5mm was never a standard in the actual sense of the word (not designed and recognized to spec, but is just a hacked connector for all intents and purposes).

And 4.4 isn't proprietary to Sony, and is actually an open standard backed by research conducted with JEITA, an actual electronics standards body, hence lots of people who are not Sony using it now.

Is this really news to you?

I will not get into a debate about 2.5 vs 4.4. Everything in this industry is personal preference and what one person likes another doesn't, but personally speaking, not as an AK rep, I've never had an issue with 2.5mm. Commuting for years in NYC on subways, buses, walking with players in my pocket or bag, never had an issue with the 2.5mm jack. Have had more than one issue with mmcx connections on IEMs from various manufacturers, but never 2.5mm jack.
Meanwhile over here in SEA, I've had several friends have issues with their 2.5 plugs failing/getting compromised by use as it's quite fragile. But I'm sure that's anecdotal, so it's neither here nor there.

(edited to add) We may support 4.4 in the future, but as of now, no plans to do so.

This is actually good, I may support AK in the future, but as of now, no plans to do so.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #42 of 132
Except... 2.5mm was never a standard in the actual sense of the word (not designed and recognized to spec, but is just a hacked connector for all intents and purposes).

And 4.4 isn't proprietary to Sony, and is actually an open standard backed by research conducted with JEITA, an actual electronics standards body, hence lots of people who are not Sony using it now.

Meanwhile over here in SEA, I've had several friends have issues with their 2.5 plugs failing/getting compromised by use as it's quite fragile. But I'm sure that's anecdotal, so it's neither here nor there.

This is actually good, I may support AK in the future, but as of now, no plans to do so.

Brilliant

May 8, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #43 of 132
1st gen AK100 and AK120 only had 3.5mm.

Understand. In an earlier comment I suggested they had the 2.5mm. What I was remembering is they had two 3.5mm outputs. My brain is getting old. :older_man:

May 8, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #44 of 132

Okay

May 8, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #45 of 132
Still no 4.4?
Not sure what AK is trying to prove by not wanting to adopt a tried, tested and proven Balanced Architecture.
Structurally durable. Dimensionally compact. Plugs easily available to cable makers and other big audio houses have started to already adopt Pentacon as their balanced jack standard (think Sennheiser)
But no, we prefer to meme you with our balanced plug option - just cause we won't lose face by adopting the Pentacon
Good points

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back