Astell & Kern Kann Ultra
Dec 21, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #16 of 80
Drolling on ultra and I’m thinking if worth sell DX320X and buy this new A&K

Dec 21, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #17 of 80
I have had the Ultra for a day now. I like it a lot (early impressions of course). I have owned at least 30 DAPs over the last couple of years. A few of my favorites from that pool are the Luxury&Precision P6 Pro, the Ibasso DX320 Edition X and the Shanling M8.

Of the A&K DAPs that I have owned (SR25, SE180, SE200, SE300) the Ultra is the most polished overall including sound quality, user interface (good speed finally), and size weight power ratio. It is so well constructed with precision and art. Some people don't like the knob placement but for me it is good.

I bought it only to try it and I find myself quite surprised with how much I like it. I have always thought of A&K as an IEM DAP. Not any more.

Great job Astell&Kern !!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #18 of 80
My impressions are posted, and may need to be combined into a more comprehensive review. As @searchingtom indicates, this is a very polished and well-rounded device. It outperforms and classes the DX320X in all respects. It is an absolute go-to move. As I mentioned, in a prior post, the FiiO M17 was easily to be my terminal device for many years in the absence of the Kann Ultra.

The price-size-to-performance of the Ultra is undeniably excellent and the device is tot-ably convenient; where the M17 simply was not. Sound quality of the Kann Ultra is simply fabulous in all respects.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #19 of 80
A couple of questions for the group…

Are there ANY recommendations on wall chargers for the Kann Ultra?

Secondly, has anyone experienced better results via “burn-in” of the Ultra? Is burn in recommended??

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #20 of 80
I’m a fan of Anker chargers for devices that do not come with their own power source. My understanding is that devices only draw the amount of current they need to charge. So using a 30 watt Anki charger will only deliver 15 watts to the Kann Ultra.

I use a 100 watt power IQ model. They are known for their universal compatibility with everything from phones up to MacBooks and Laptops.

1703694530564.png

“Technologies combine to deliver universal, high-speed charging—regardless of device or cable. PowerIQ detects your device’s specific charging requirements while VoltageBoost increases output to compensate for cable resistance.”

Conversely, you can also use a 5 watt charger, but time to full charge will increase as a result.

Burn-in is always recommended. I shoot for 50 hours minimum. Connected to headphones. Running mid-gain for half the time and low gain for the other half.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #21 of 80
I have the pictured Anker IQ charger… I charge my N30LE with it and it works VERY well. IPhone as well. Funny, for some reason, I thought it may be a bit much for the Kann Ultra?
BTW… the Kann Ultra sound REALLY GOOD… and that’s listening to it immeyafter opening the box! I’m sure it will only get better… MUCH better!!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #22 of 80
My impressions are posted, and may need to be combined into a more comprehensive review. As @searchingtom indicates, this is a very polished and well-rounded device. It outperforms and classes the DX320X in all respects. It is an absolute go-to move. As I mentioned, in a prior post, the FiiO M17 was easily to be my terminal device for many years in the absence of the Kann Ultra.

The price-size-to-performance of the Ultra is undeniably excellent and the device is tot-ably convenient; where the M17 simply was not. Sound quality of the Kann Ultra is simply fabulous in all respects.
Which is the better DAP. The cayin N7 or the Kann Ultra? I'm stuck between these 2 as they are the same price.

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #23 of 80
Great clarity and the bass has great heft and depth but other technical aspects seem to be lacking coming from the N7. Will give it some time to burn in before making any judgements.
Please give an update on which one you prefer. I'm stuck between the Cayin N7 and the Kann Ultra. Some reviews say the N7 can be too bright at times is this true? I'm sensitive to trebel so that would be a no go for me. Which one do you think is the better overall DAP? They are the same price right now.

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #24 of 80
Please give an update on which one you prefer. I'm stuck between the Cayin N7 and the Kann Ultra. Some reviews say the N7 can be too bright at times is this true? I'm sensitive to trebel so that would be a no go for me. Which one do you think is the better overall DAP? They are the same price right now.
I preferred the N7 by quite a margin. The Kann ultra had really great bass heft and depth but didn’t engage me emotionally like the N7. Ultras staging was noticeably narrower and it sounded less tangible but detail retrieval was better. Overall a more analytical listen. I found Kann ultra the brighter listen! N7 has a very linear sound and I don’t find it bright at all. Ultimately the Kann Ultra went back because I had some issues with the WiFi connection.

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #25 of 80
Which is the better DAP. The cayin N7 or the Kann Ultra? I'm stuck between these 2 as they are the same price.
Th Kann Ultra
The Kann Ultra is an entirely different presentation, both aesthetically and sonically. The Kann Ultra has more of a premium feel throughout, and presents music that is more detailed with a focus on vocal presence, dynamics, bass control and depth.

The N7 is more nuanced which is not my prefered type of sound profile. I want my planar magnetic headphones to be fast and have the pluck that makes them lively and engaging.

Certain genres of music, such as classic rock and early R&B are a bit too one note with a player like the N7. Whereas classical and jazz fair just fine on that DAP. But, as I indicated, just fine is not my destination.

The Kann Ultra elevates everything it digests. It has the power to run demanding headphones that the N7 would be less than ideal with—due to its power constraints—and has that premium sound and design aesthetic that round out the entire experience.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #27 of 80
The Meze are really great headphones. Never heard them with the Kann Ultra, but as I mentioned in another post, the Kann Ultra elevates everything it touches. No surprise you’re get a great pairing there. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #28 of 80
Also to note, I bought an Astell & Kern CA1000 (after sending the Kann Ultra back) for significantly less. I wanted a more analytical, hard edged alternative to the N7 with equal staging capabilities while remaining natural, the ultra didn't cut it for me. To my surprise however, the CA1000 is much more impressive in the aforementioned areas and outperforms the Ultra! The wifi connection also seems to be much more stable.

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #29 of 80
Interesting observations. Hard-edged are not descriptors that I pursue in a DAP. Though, I fully understand that it’s a quality you seek. What I do get from this is that the A&K DAPs have a sound signature that is not as laid back and nuanced as the Cayin N7.

Also, does that hard-edged signature equate with being bright or treble happy? Because @SteveEyes indicated he’s not after that for his tastes.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #30 of 80
Interesting observations. Hard-edged are not descriptors that I pursue in a DAP. Though, I fully understand that it’s a quality you seek. What I do get from this is that the A&K DAPs have a sound signature that is not as laid back and nuanced as the Cayin N7.

Also, does that hard-edged signature equate with being bright or treble happy? Because @SteveEyes indicated he’s not after that for his tastes.
This is all in relation to the players in question and shouldn’t be taken as absolutes. I’m talking in relation to how the leading edge of notes are presented, if you’re familiar with the tech utilised in the N7 then you’ll know how this technology may not always result in the most “crisp” leading edge. I would use the term “smoothed over” but I think this lends to the idea that the player is less resolving which certainly isn’t the case.

What descriptors would you use to describe this phenomenon if you don’t agree?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back