Astell & Kern Kann Ultra
Nov 10, 2023 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

Thraxas

New Head-Fier
Now available.

Features:

• Triple Output Mode Featuring Separately Configured Circuit and Amplifier Designs
  • HEADPHONE OUT / PRE-OUT / LINE OUT
  • Next-generation Octa-Core processors with significant high-performance improvements
  • Supports 4 preset gain settings with ultra-high output up to 16Vrms (Headphone Out)
  • Equipped with ES9039MPRO Dual DACs
  • Features Digital Audio Remaster (DAR) technology
  • Supports playback up to 32bit/768kHz, Native DSD512
  • Features Astell&Kern's unique TERATON ALPHA technology
  • Battery 8,400 mAh (up to 11 hours of playback)

Specification​

• General Specifications
    • Model
      KANN ULTRA
    • Body Color
      Astro Gray
    • Body Material
      Aluminum
    • Display
      5.5inch HD 1080 x 1920 touch screen (Wow! Full HD. About time!)
    • Supported Audio Formats
      WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF, MQA
    • Sample Rate
      PCM : 8kHz ~ 768kHz (8/16/24/32bits per Sample)
      DSD Native: DSD64(1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo / DSD128(1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo
      DSD256(1bit 11.2MHz), Stereo / DSD512(1bit 22.4MHz), Stereo
    • Output Level
      - HEADPHONE OUT
      [Low Gain] Unbalanced 2Vrms │ Balanced 4Vrms (Condition No Load)
      [Mid Gain]Unbalanced 4Vrms │ Balanced 8Vrms (Condition No Load)
      [High Gain]Unbalanced 6Vrms │ Balanced 12Vrms (Condition No Load)
      [Super Gain]Unbalanced 8Vrms │ Balanced 16Vrms (Condition No Load)
      - PRE · LINE OUT
      Unbalanced 2Vrms │ Balanced 4Vrms (Condition No Load)
    • CPU
      Octa-core (What kind of CPU? Why are you making such a secret about it??)
    • DAC
      ES9039MPRO x2 (Successor of 9038?)
    • Decoding
      Support up to 32bit/768kHz Bit-to-Bit Playback
    • Input
      USB Type-C input (for charging & PC & MAC)
    • Outputs
      - HEADPHONE OUT
      3.5mm(Unbalanced Out, Optical Out), 4.4mm (Balanced Out, only 5-pole supported)
      - PRE · LINE OUT
      3.5mm(Unbalanced Out), 4.4mm (Balanced Out, only 5-pole supported) (Why was the 2.5 degree canceled??)
    • Wi-Fi
      802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz) (Finally. Dual Band Wifi! Bravissimo!👏👏)
    • Bluetooth
      V5.3 (A2DP, AVRCP, Qualcomm® aptX™-HD, LDAC, LHDC) (I thought 4.2 But good. All the better and absolutely justified at the price! )
    • Dimensions
      3.24” (82.4mm)[W] x 5.55” (141.1mm)[H] x 0.96” (24.4mm)[D]
    • Weight
      About 13.75oz (390g)
    • Feature Enhancements
      Firmware upgrade supported (OTA) (Really?! Kann Max didn't get a single one!)
    • Operating Temperature
      0℃ ~ + 40℃ (32℉~ 104℉

PRICE: 1,899 euros/ 1.599 $/ 1.599 £ !!! Really??? I'm out.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 79
Just got one a few days ago. Evaluating it now. Had an Alpha. Dumped that for a Hiby R6, then a FiiO M11, then a Hiby R6 2020 and then a FiiO M17, which I loved immensely. The sized of the M17 did prove to be an issue. Just as I was contemplating pulling a 180 and going Lotoo my Son told me about the Ultra. Which just so happened to release right during my birthday. Took the M17 funds (sold on eBay) and snagged the Kann Ultra. So, I’ve only had it a few days. I will post a detailed review.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 79
Just got one a few days ago. Evaluating it now. Had an Alpha. Dumped that for a Hiby R6, then a FiiO M11, then a Hiby R6 2020 and then a FiiO M17, which I loved immensely. The sized of the M17 did prove to be an issue. Just as I was contemplating pulling a 180 and going Lotoo my Son told me about the Ultra. Which just so happened to release right during my birthday. Took the M17 funds (sold on eBay) and snagged the Kann Ultra. So, I’ve only had it a few days. I will post a detailed review.
Do you have any first impressions vs. the M17 perhaps? I'm in the exact same situation as you (contemplating a switch from M17 to Kann Ultra).

Nov 30, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 79
Do you have any first impressions vs. the M17 perhaps? I'm in the exact same situation as you (contemplating a switch from M17 to Kann Ultra).
Most certainly I do.

The Astell&Kern Kann Ultra, in my estimation, is the only viable alternative to the FiiO M17 in terms of size, weight, relative screen size, UI, power, and sound quality. Ultra doesn’t sit below the M17 as a sort of reasonable compromise to the amazing sound signature and power output of the M17. Rather, it’s sort of blazes a new trail. Because you’re getting a device that is nearly equal in price, one providing an entirely different approach, and experience sonically, with the biggest distinguishing characteristics being form factor (size and weight) and sound quality— in that order.

FiiO achieved with the M17 something truly remarkable sonically. But in my opinion, it was really their first time entering the Astell&Kern tier of audiophile DAPS. FiiO shot for that with the M15 and the M11 Pro, Plus and LTD; even configuring the devices with different DACs along the way. The FiiO M17 project threw all caution to the wind, resulting in a DAP that obviously even made Astell&Kern take notice.

I got rid of my Kann Alpha when I did for three reasons. Firstly, because of the small screen size. Secondly, for its’ clunky integration of third-party apps. And finally, because there were headphones I owned that it ran just OK.

There was a marked difference when going from the Alpha to the M17. Timbre, soundstage, bass control and weight, midrange suppleness. The works. The Kann Alpha is still a great player. And it holds its own as a player that could hold someone’s portable rig down for a decade. But to those for whom size and weight was less important than achieving that next level of sonic, Nirvana, the M17 carved its own space. Albeit a rather large space.

The Kann Ultra addresses numerous concerns by burning the candle at both ends. With it, I get the screen size I require, the portability that I truly wanted, a UI, that is brisk and clean, coupled with a sound signature that is pristine, and does not deprive me of the things that I value when listening to my favorite cams or IEMS.

I have owned an M17 since it was released. Of all the DAPs I’ve owned it has been my favorite thus far. I now have the Kann Ultra. It’s very powerful and runs very challenging headphones with ease. The form factor with respect to size is where the the Ultra trumps the M17. Truly. The M17 is just massive. In size and weight. The Kann Ultra is portable. The M17 is transportable.
Soundwise, two very competent devices.

Astell&Kern nails the very favorable AK sound. The M17 is the best DAP FiiO has ever produced? even besting their much lauded M15. If your application is purely desktop, you really could stick with the M17. You can even do as I did, on my Son’s astute recommendation, and run the Hiby music app on it for a far better UI music playing experience—and have a device that will do it all. That is with exception of fitting in you back pocket.

Purely on the sound front you have two powerhouse players in the Kann Ultra and the FiiO. How AK has achieved the power output they have, in a device of the Kann Ultra’s size and weight is astonishing. Upon first listen, there was nothing stopping me from immediately making the decision to ultimately replace my M17 with the Kann Ultra.

And while I have not invested enough time just yet to really start carving out detailed sonic impressions in a comparative manner, I can say that my very first listening session with the Kann Ultra Was visceral, intimate, and sustained for much longer than I had initially anticipated. And I attribute all of those facts to the device just being really delicious to listen to. Low volume. High volume. From the SD card, from Qobuz, Apple Music, Bandcamp. Whatever. It’s all just really, really good. I’m being conversational here, but like, I really wasn’t expecting anything under $3000 to sound like this.

I honestly believe that—purely from a standpoint of audio reproduction—AK has given us the direct offspring of the SP3000 lineage with this latest Kann iteration.

The FiiO M17 is a TOTL DAP. For certain. Whereas, the Atell&Kern Kann Ultra is the TOTL package [in my estimation]. I do hope this is helpful for the time being.

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #6 of 79
Most certainly I do.

The Astell&Kern Kann Ultra, in my estimation, is the only viable alternative to the FiiO M17 in terms of size, weight, relative screen size, UI, power, and sound quality. Ultra doesn’t sit below the M17 as a sort of reasonable compromise to the amazing sound signature and power output of the M17. Rather, it’s sort of blazes a new trail. Because you’re getting a device that is nearly equal in price, one providing an entirely different approach, and experience sonically, with the biggest distinguishing characteristics being form factor (size and weight) and sound quality— in that order.

FiiO achieved with the M17 something truly remarkable sonically. But in my opinion, it was really their first time entering the Astell&Kern tier of audiophile DAPS. FiiO shot for that with the M15 and the M11 Pro, Plus and LTD; even configuring the devices with different DACs along the way. The FiiO M17 project threw all caution to the wind, resulting in a DAP that obviously even made Astell&Kern take notice.

I got rid of my Kann Alpha when I did for three reasons. Firstly, because of the small screen size. Secondly, for its’ clunky integration of third-party apps. And finally, because there were headphones I owned that it ran just OK.

There was a marked difference when going from the Alpha to the M17. Timbre, soundstage, bass control and weight, midrange suppleness. The works. The Kann Alpha is still a great player. And it holds its own as a player that could hold someone’s portable rig down for a decade. But to those for whom size and weight was less important than achieving that next level of sonic, Nirvana, the M17 carved its own space. Albeit a rather large space.

The Kann Ultra addresses numerous concerns by burning the candle at both ends. With it, I get the screen size I require, the portability that I truly wanted, a UI, that is brisk and clean, coupled with a sound signature that is pristine, and does not deprive me of the things that I value when listening to my favorite cams or IEMS.

I have owned an M17 since it was released. Of all the DAPs I’ve owned it has been my favorite thus far. I now have the Kann Ultra. It’s very powerful and runs very challenging headphones with ease. The form factor with respect to size is where the the Ultra trumps the M17. Truly. The M17 is just massive. In size and weight. The Kann Ultra is portable. The M17 is transportable.
Soundwise, two very competent devices.

Astell&Kern nails the very favorable AK sound. The M17 is the best DAP FiiO has ever produced? even besting their much lauded M15. If your application is purely desktop, you really could stick with the M17. You can even do as I did, on my Son’s astute recommendation, and run the Hiby music app on it for a far better UI music playing experience—and have a device that will do it all. That is with exception of fitting in you back pocket.

Purely on the sound front you have two powerhouse players in the Kann Ultra and the FiiO. How AK has achieved the power output they have, in a device of the Kann Ultra’s size and weight is astonishing. Upon first listen, there was nothing stopping me from immediately making the decision to ultimately replace my M17 with the Kann Ultra.

And while I have not invested enough time just yet to really start carving out detailed sonic impressions in a comparative manner, I can say that my very first listening session with the Kann Ultra Was visceral, intimate, and sustained for much longer than I had initially anticipated. And I attribute all of those facts to the device just being really delicious to listen to. Low volume. High volume. From the SD card, from Qobuz, Apple Music, Bandcamp. Whatever. It’s all just really, really good. I’m being conversational here, but like, I really wasn’t expecting anything under $3000 to sound like this.

I honestly believe that—purely from a standpoint of audio reproduction—AK has given us the direct offspring of the SP3000 lineage with this latest Kann iteration.

The FiiO M17 is a TOTL DAP. For certain. Whereas, the Atell&Kern Kann Ultra is the TOTL package [in my estimation]. I do hope this is helpful for the time being.
Wow!… sounds great! Funny, I’m looking for a DAP to properly drive my ZMF VCs… and it came down to these two DAPs. I have heard the sound of the M17 is dry, somewhat clinical and not very musical. On the other hand, the “true” Astell & Kern sound I am familiar with and it’s really very nice! Holographics, imaging, separation is also VERY important in my search… as well a PLENTY of power. Thoughts, suggestions???

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 79
I did not find the M17 to be clinical and non-musical. And I’ve owned and enjoyed two Astell&Kern DAPS, a couple of Hiby’s and two Sony’s during my personal journey.

One huge error that people often make when posting in groups, is they provide sound impressions while in the midst of literally changing DAPS and headphones simultaneously. This gives us readers a very skewed assessment, because the opinion is not based on listening sessions with one or two reference headphones that are used for all AMP and DAP evaluations.

The M17 drives IEMs with ridiculous ease and over-the-ear headphones of every variety with authority. To classify it as being clinical is a deviation from what I would consider to be precise, accurate, fast. To further state that the M17 is non-musical, would deviate entirely from my experience with it. The M17 has arguably been my favorite DAP of everything I have owned up to the Kann Ultra acquisition.

There are sonic characteristics of the M17 present in the Kann Ultra; Raw power, the ability to drive planar magnetics, and other power hungry cans, beautifully textured bass control and harmonic continuity, resolute midrange and treble detail. The Kann Ultra scales differently as volume increases. There is a noticeable, unforced nature about the way it amplifies. To use lazy jargon, it’s Kann Max on steroids. Like Kann Max and FiiO M17 had a love child—which was discovered by A&K, who then spirited that child away to dress it up completely in Astell&Kern attire.

She shed the weight, sings a lot like her (A&K) mother, but has the ability to dig deep and belt like Daddy (M17).

ZMF VCs are bright, zesty headphones. There’s very little relationship to the phrase “recessed” when it comes to these cans. When pushing them through something like the Kann Ultra, I’d expect them to afford the Verite’s a more subtle hand. Power to push but a deftness to the mids and highs from which the VCs would benefit considering their less than typical tuning. I have only heard that particular pair of headphones paired with a Ray Samuels desktop amplifier. If I remember correctly, the source material was fed from a Naim Audio music server.

Audio is a very interesting and diverse process. Especially at the source. Source devices make a huge difference in audio throughput. I find the Kann Ultra strikes a very nice balance of power, refinement and finesse. Had it not been for the release and success of implementation with the Ultra, I’d still have my M17. I don’t think you go wrong with either. Yet, I do feel that the Ultra will be a better pairing overall for your Verite’s.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 79
I did not find the M17 to be clinical and non-musical. And I’ve owned and enjoyed two Astell&Kern DAPS, a couple of Hiby’s and two Sony’s during my personal journey.

One huge error that people often make when posting in groups, is they provide sound impressions while in the midst of literally changing DAPS and headphones simultaneously. This gives us readers a very skewed assessment, because the opinion is not based on listening sessions with one or two reference headphones that are used for all AMP and DAP evaluations.

The M17 drives IEMs with ridiculous ease and over-the-ear headphones of every variety with authority. To classify it as being clinical is a deviation from what I would consider to be precise, accurate, fast. To further state that the M17 is non-musical, would deviate entirely from my experience with it. The M17 has arguably been my favorite DAP of everything I have owned up to the Kann Ultra acquisition.

There are sonic characteristics of the M17 present in the Kann Ultra; Raw power, the ability to drive planar magnetics, and other power hungry cans, beautifully textured bass control and harmonic continuity, resolute midrange and treble detail. The Kann Ultra scales differently as volume increases. There is a noticeable, unforced nature about the way it amplifies. To use lazy jargon, it’s Kann Max on steroids. Like Kann Max and M17 had a person love child—discovered by AK and spirited away to dress it up Astell.

She shed the weight, sings a lot like her mother, but has the ability to dig deep and belt like Daddy.

ZMF VCs are bright, zesty headphones. There’s very little relationship to the phrase “recessed” when it comes to these cans. When pushing them through something like the Kann Ultra, I’d expect them to afford the Verite’s a more subtle hand. Power to push but a deftness to the mids and highs from which the VCs would benefit considering their less than typical tuning. I have only heard that particular pair of headphones paired with a Ray Samuels desktop amplifier. If I remember correctly, the source material was fed from a Naim Audio music server.

Audio is a very interesting and diverse process. Especially at the source. Source devices make a huge difference in audio throughput. I find the Kann Ultra strikes a very nice balance of power, refinement and finesse. Had it not been for the release and success of implementation with the Ultra, I’d still have my M17. I don’t think you go wrong with either. Yet, I do feel that the Ultra will be a better pairing overall for your Verite’s.
WOW!!… thank you sooo very much for this! The analogy makes total sense. LOL! I guess I want to make 100% sure that I will power my VCs and the upcoming Atrium opens to their VERY fullest. When they are scaled up and FULLY “juiced” is when they are truly their best!!
I had a Kann Maxx and it was nice, but it was gone before the VCs came in. I hear you on the fact that both would work well, I’m very intrigued by the fact that the power in the M17 gets “Super Powered” by using the AC plug in.
This would be truly like a desktop system and would definitely yield some serious results… I think? I’m glad to hear that about the M17 sound and agree about the reviews on this platform… because looking at the “best DAPS” thread, the M17 is on most everyone’s list!
I’m thinking I may start there and if it doesn’t “synergize” with my ZMFs, return it and GO AK!
OR… is the AK MUCH warmer in its deliver than the M17?? Thoughts?

Dec 17, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 79
Good evening, since yesterday I also have the Astell&Kern Kann Ultra. For this I had to give up my dearly loved (after the also very loved Kann Alpha) Kann Max in exchange. All the pain aside, I can first say that this was absolutely the right decision. Tomorrow more.

WOW!!… thank you sooo very much for this! The analogy makes total sense. LOL! I guess I want to make 100% sure that I will power my VCs and the upcoming Atrium opens to their VERY fullest. When they are scaled up and FULLY “juiced” is when they are truly their best!!
I had a Kann Maxx and it was nice, but it was gone before the VCs came in. I hear you on the fact that both would work well, I’m very intrigued by the fact that the power in the M17 gets “Super Powered” by using the AC plug in.
This would be truly like a desktop system and would definitely yield some serious results… I think? I’m glad to hear that about the M17 sound and agree about the reviews on this platform… because looking at the “best DAPS” thread, the M17 is on most everyone’s list!
I’m thinking I may start there and if it doesn’t “synergize” with my ZMFs, return it and GO AK!
OR… is the AK MUCH warmer in its deliver than the M17?? Thoughts?
If high impedence and low sensitivity cans are you thing, snag the M17. There’s no guess work on the power, it’s stacked with really fine tech and the OS is implemented very well.

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 79
I already had the M17. Unlike the Kann Ultra, this one is still huge. Also, I don't like the design. The cover also looks cheap. The Chinese have forced the West to transfer technology in order to trade on the Chinese market. In addition, these endless copies of well-known manufacturers and the limitless subsidization of Chinese products by the Chinese party. Not with me. Attached are impressions of my Kann Ultra with blue and black cover. A gem!

Attachments

• 20231220_152845.jpg
    20231220_152845.jpg
    763.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_152915.jpg
    20231220_152915.jpg
    881.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_152936.jpg
    20231220_152936.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_153003.jpg
    20231220_153003.jpg
    870.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_153012.jpg
    20231220_153012.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_153026.jpg
    20231220_153026.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_153108.jpg
    20231220_153108.jpg
    873.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 20, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 79
With cover... Blue and black. The blue is really awesome!

Attachments

• 20231220_113307.jpg
    20231220_113307.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_113247.jpg
    20231220_113247.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_113235.jpg
    20231220_113235.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_113222.jpg
    20231220_113222.jpg
    958.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_112911.jpg
    20231220_112911.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_112855.jpg
    20231220_112855.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_112836.jpg
    20231220_112836.jpg
  • 20231220_112818.jpg
    20231220_112818.jpg
  • 20231220_113337.jpg
    20231220_113337.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 79
Great clarity and the bass has great heft and depth but other technical aspects seem to be lacking coming from the N7. Will give it some time to burn in before making any judgements.

Attachments

• IMG_2159.jpeg
    IMG_2159.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back