Astell & Kern Kann Ultra
Mar 24, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #61 of 79
Surprised to see so little conversation around this fantastic DAP. I bought it to have an all-in-one portable solution to drive my IEMs and my ZMF Atrium and Caldera and it fits that purpose perfectly. All are driven with the heft and body I get from my SS desktop setup. I just picked up a DK1 Pro dock to hook it into my desktop chain and it works perfectly there as well. Very happy with this unit and would love to hear others’ experiences.

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #62 of 79
There’s been considerable talk here in this forum. But market lack of reviews from some of the sites we would expect to see pouncing on this. This is definitely the best DAP I’ve ever owned. Deeply satisfied by it in nearly all respects.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #63 of 79
Surprised to see so little conversation around this fantastic DAP. I bought it to have an all-in-one portable solution to drive my IEMs and my ZMF Atrium and Caldera and it fits that purpose perfectly. All are driven with the heft and body I get from my SS desktop setup. I just picked up a DK1 Pro dock to hook it into my desktop chain and it works perfectly there as well. Very happy with this unit and would love to hear others’ experiences.

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, what cable (silver/copper, balanced/unbalanced), DAC filter, Pads and gain mode you use with your Atrium (I'm assuming this is Atrium Open).

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #64 of 79
Hi, if you don't mind me asking, what cable (silver/copper, balanced/unbalanced), DAC filter, Pads and gain mode you use with your Atrium (I'm assuming this is Atrium Open).
I use Hart Audio copper balanced, default DAC filter, High gain, and I switch between Universe leather and Caldera Ultra-Perf leather pads depending on what I’m listening to.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #65 of 79
I use Hart Audio copper balanced, default DAC filter, High gain, and I switch between Universe leather and Caldera Ultra-Perf leather pads depending on what I’m listening to.
This is kind of similar gear I tend to be pairing my Atrium Open with. What is the difference between universe leather and caldera ultra perforated pads? Really interested in your thoughts and impressions.

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #66 of 79
This is kind of similar gear I tend to be pairing my Atrium Open with. What is the difference between universe leather and caldera ultra perforated pads? Really interested in your thoughts and impressions.
The Universe leather pads are what made me fall in love with the Atrium. I experience this combo as what music sounds like in a live setting, especially vocal-focused and natural instrument music. For 90s alt rock, singer-songwriter, folk, doom metal, and other genres where voice, drums, guitar all matter the most, this is my config. Analog, organic timbre. Mid range is magical and REAL. Mid bass is powerful and kick drum (all drums really) are felt and sound like you’re in the room with them. Treble has a downward slope but there is plenty of air and stage.

The Caldera ultra-perf pads do a couple things for me. Namely they balance out the overall sound and speed everything up in terms of decay, reverb, resonance. You lose some of the mid-range magic and a bit of mid-bass (but not much), but you gain more even and extended treble and air, even wider soundstage, and significantly perceived sense of speed. I use this combo for modern metal, especially really fast stuff, and anything inorganic like electronic beat backed stuff ( a lot of Bjork, honestly).

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #67 of 79
The Universe leather pads are what made me fall in love with the Atrium. I experience this combo as what music sounds like in a live setting, especially vocal-focused and natural instrument music. For 90s alt rock, singer-songwriter, folk, doom metal, and other genres where voice, drums, guitar all matter the most, this is my config. Analog, organic timbre. Mid range is magical and REAL. Mid bass is powerful and kick drum (all drums really) are felt and sound like you’re in the room with them. Treble has a downward slope but there is plenty of air and stage.

The Caldera ultra-perf pads do a couple things for me. Namely they balance out the overall sound and speed everything up in terms of decay, reverb, resonance. You lose some of the mid-range magic and a bit of mid-bass (but not much), but you gain more even and extended treble and air, even wider soundstage, and significantly perceived sense of speed. I use this combo for modern metal, especially really fast stuff, and anything inorganic like electronic beat backed stuff ( a lot of Bjork, honestly).
Thanks for getting back to me, a very informative feedback, thank you. Could you also advise how these two types of pads respond when it comes to low end? I gather caldera is more about bass quality and universe more about quantity, but is the difference substantial? Tks

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #68 of 79
Anyone owned the old kann max? Are there any significant sound changes with the ultra from max? I like my Max due to its compact portable size if the sound changes isnt significant i dont think i will upgrade to the bigger ultra.

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #70 of 79
Anyone owned the old kann max? Are there any significant sound changes with the ultra from max? I like my Max due to its compact portable size if the sound changes isnt significant i dont think i will upgrade to the bigger ultra.
Until recently I still had the Kann Max. To me it sounded more analytical. The Kann Ultra has a more balanced sound. It has more body and volume. Its expression is much stronger. For my part, I have not regretted switching from Kann Max to Kann Ultra in any way. Not for a minute. The Kann Ultra is much more compact than I initially thought. An absolutely exceptional player! I just miss the 2.5 connection.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #71 of 79
Until recently I still had the Kann Max. To me it sounded more analytical. The Kann Ultra has a more balanced sound. It has more body and volume. Its expression is much stronger. For my part, I have not regretted switching from Kann Max to Kann Ultra in any way. Not for a minute. The Kann Ultra is much more compact than I initially thought. An absolutely exceptional player! I just miss the 2.5 connection.
How about the staging of the ultra is it about the same or larger in general?

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #74 of 79
Hi! Has anyone here try Kann Ultra with highly sensitive IEMs, such as Campfire Andromeda? Specifically I’m curious about the background noise often being an issue with these particular iems. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back