Astell & Kern Kann Ultra
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #46 of 79
Fully agree, also those eventually ending up for some reason with a too bright or too warm configuration may also try it. I remember myself long years ago I bought a warm DAP and warm headphones at the same time not realising that when paired together it is going to be simply too warm to enjoy...and yeah, it was.....without EQ it was a nightmare. Can imagine a similar scenario of having a bright DAP paired with bright headphones. Looking at own gear from synergy perspective comes with time and experience.....till then thank God we have EQ and sound tweaking apps
We are on the same page. This is a quote from my December 18, 2023 post:

“One huge error that people often make when posting in groups, is they provide sound impressions while in the midst of literally changing DAPS and headphones simultaneously. This gives us readers a very skewed assessment, because the opinion is not based on listening sessions with one or two reference headphones that are used for all AMP and DAP evaluations.”

- Fabian Blache III

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #47 of 79
Hi - I have both Fiio M17 and Kann Ultra and to be honest there is a difference between how they both sound, not too significant though. At this price point you are either way getting a true audiophile gear and the subtle difference seems to be all more of a matter of a taste and the right pairing with your headphone. At the end of the day we all have our own preferences and what we can ultimately hear is really down to the combination of our own ears receiving waves of various frequencies, brain processing them and interpreting into what we can perceive as sound, sound signature preference, prefered music genre, DAP build quality and its components, DAP gain, DAP DAC filters, cable (balanced/unbalanced, copper/silver), headphones and their burn-in. Depending on own preferences you can tweak the sound to your liking of both, M17 and Kann Ultra, both will do great. If you already have some decent headphones and looking for a DAP, let us know what genre and sound signature you prefer so certain recommendations can be made.
I currently use the Sennheiser IE 900s as my main IEMs. Also have the HD 650s and fostex x00s. The IE 900 can be too bright at times on my M11 so I have to EQ at times but just like you said which I fully agree with. EQing changes the overall presentation of the IEM. I have the original M11 not the M11 pro so it's quite an older device. It has a tinny kind of sound in the upper mids that I don't get when listening from my phone. I've heard people say fiio DAPs generally have this issue. I'm sure the Kann Ultra will be a lot better but I just recently read a review that refered to the bass as non energetic. I will link the full review here and attach screenshots of the paragraphs. I listen to all genres of music but mostly , Hip Hop, R&B, Pop & Rock. In this review they seem to bring up the Treble as the shining feature of the Kann Ultra but don't seem to be too impressed with bass.

https://www.stereocheck.com/test/hi...iew-the-definition-of-hi-res/#google_vignette

I love bass and would consider myself a bass head so I just want something that has a energetic sound and powerful satisfying bass. I consider the IE 900s to already be relatively tamed on the bass side which is disappointing but the clarity and overall soundstage is so great if makes up for the lack of bass.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240220_010541_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240220_010541_Chrome.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240220_010555_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240220_010555_Chrome.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 0
Feb 20, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #48 of 79
I currently use the Sennheiser IE 900s as my main IEMs. Also have the HD 650s and fostex x00s. The IE 900 can be too bright at times on my M11 so I have to EQ at times but just like you said which I fully agree with. EQing changes the overall presentation of the IEM. I have the original M11 not the M11 pro so it's quite an older device. It has a tinny kind of sound in the upper mids that I don't get when listening from my phone. I've heard people say fiio DAPs generally have this issue. I'm sure the Kann Ultra will be a lot better but I just recently read a review that refered to the bass as non energetic. I will link the full review here and attach screenshots of the paragraphs. I listen to all genres of music but mostly , Hip Hop, R&B, Pop & Rock. In this review they seem to bring up the Treble as the shining feature of the Kann Ultra but don't seem to be too impressed with bass.

https://www.stereocheck.com/test/hi...iew-the-definition-of-hi-res/#google_vignette

I love bass and would consider myself a bass head so I just want something that has a energetic sound and powerful satisfying bass. I consider the IE 900s to already be relatively tamed on the bass side which is disappointing but the clarity and overall soundstage is so great if makes up for the lack of bass.
First of all, Stereocheck is not my go to resource for reviews. Everything’s relative. Keep in mind that if the headphones they used are non-energetic, then, whatever DAp they use is likely going to present as non-energetic in the base region, or whatever region for that matter.

The Kann Ultra is unequivocally energetic. Controlled. Substantive. But not woolly or bloated.

I’m deeply satisfied with the base on this DAP. I cannot fathom how the 900s wouldn’t be well-served by this pairing.

I am a lifelong open format DJ and audiophile. I’m also 60 years old now. So, I have owned a lot of gear since I started selling audio equipment at age 16 in Manhattan.

You have nothing to worry about when it comes to accuracy of presentation with the Kann Ultra. Stereocheck got this one wrong.

In fact, here’s a passage that’s a complete 180 from what Stereocheck had to say that comes from Bloom Audio.

“KANN Ultra maintains the classic KANN sound, with a full-bodied, but largely neutral output. While it doesn’t have any strong emphasis or color in the tuning, KANN Ultra’s powerful dynamics and strong note weight make it a great pick for bassheads. The clear, full mids, and crisp treble help make up for any lost detail in bassy tunings, and the powerful, dynamic low-end lends speed and power to your headphones.” (Bloom Audio)

As I said, everything’s relative. This is why it’s an imperative to provide what output devices are used in testing, especially so in terms of headphones and pairings, when doing reviews of portable audio. This way, the reader can research the headphones, if they’ve never heard them, or owned them, and handicap the review against the sonic signature of those particular headphones.

If a crappy jockey rides a great horse and loses, it doesn’t mean the horse is slow.

By the Kann Ultra. It’s a joy!

- Fabian Blache III

Attachments

• IMG_4331.jpeg
    IMG_4331.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #49 of 79

Hi, I'm not familiar with M11, but would probably recommend switching EQ off and changing DAC filter to hybrid (if available, it is on M17). Then would get a proper good quality copper balanced cable and play with various gain and volume combinations to see if any better (would expect warmer sound without major knock on effects). If you are planning to buy a completely new DAP, there may be a number of options depending on headphones/IEM you may already have and may want to drive (Kann Ultra and Fiio M17 for more power hungry full cans and lots of other DAP options for IEM). Either way, Kann Ultra is not going to be a disappointing DAP. I have my Kann Ultra paired with Meze Empyrean v1 via silver/copper balanced cable from Meze and to be honest I really like it for many genres, especially with DAC filter set to minimum phase fast roll-off.

When it comes to bass I'd day it is full and controlled, simply adequate, and you can add an extra bit to it via DAC filters, balanced copper cable and so on, but never woolly. If the music is designed with a lot of low-end bass, it will be there for sure, other genres having less pronounced bass, will again be rendered correctly with a nice and deep bass, but only if its there. Kann Ultra seems to be the DAP that will let you enjoy the music the way it was composed and intended to be heard, so not necessarily for everyone, but again, you can play with it further by choosing the right DAC filters, gain, copper balanced cables, warmer IEM/headphones and so on. Obviously, a good quality sound won't come from MP3 encoded music so FLAC and higher is a must.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #50 of 79
Hi, I'm not familiar with M11, but would probably recommend switching EQ off and changing DAC filter to hybrid (if available, it is on M17). Then would get a proper good quality copper balanced cable and play with various gain and volume combinations to see if any better (would expect warmer sound without major knock on effects). If you are planning to buy a completely new DAP, there may be a number of options depending on headphones/IEM you may already have and may want to drive (Kann Ultra and Fiio M17 for more power hungry full cans and lots of other DAP options for IEM). Either way, Kann Ultra is not going to be a disappointing DAP. I have my Kann Ultra paired with Meze Empyrean v1 via silver/copper balanced cable from Meze and to be honest I really like it for many genres, especially with DAC filter set to minimum phase fast roll-off.

When it comes to bass I'd day it is full and controlled, simply adequate, and you can add an extra bit to it via DAC filters, balanced copper cable and so on, but never woolly. If the music is designed with a lot of low-end bass, it will be there for sure, other genres having less pronounced bass, will again be rendered correctly with a nice and deep bass, but only if its there. Kann Cube seems to be the DAP that will let you enjoy the music the way it was composed and intended to be heard, so not necessarily for everyone, but again, you can play with it further by choosing the right DAC filters, gain, copper balanced cables, warmer IEM/headphones and so on. Obviously, a good quality sound won't come from MP3 encoded music so FLAC and higher is a must.
Did you mean Kann Cube or Kann Ultra?

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #51 of 79
Did you mean Kann Cube or Kann Ultra?
Hi, apologies, just corrected my comment above, I was referring to Kann Ultra.

But you know what, I have actually had all Kann in the series (Kann, Kann Cube, Kann Alpha, Kann Max and now Kann Ultra) and maybe if you prefer warmer DAP sound signature, you could get Kann Alpha? It is probably not as refined and neutral as Kann Ultra, but definitely a great warm player and you can at this stage get it half price. Just an idea....With Kann Alpha, the right cable and DAC filter you may not even need EQ on...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #52 of 79
Hi, apologies, just corrected my comment above, I was referring to Kann Ultra.

But you know what, I have actually had all Kann in the series (Kann, Kann Cube, Kann Alpha, Kann Max and now Kann Ultra) and maybe if you prefer warmer DAP sound signature, you could get Kann Alpha? It is probably not as refined and neutral as Kann Ultra, but definitely a great warm player and you can at this stage get it half price. Just an idea....With Kann Alpha, the right cable and DAC filter you may not even need EQ on...
The only ones I haven’t had are the Kann and the Kann Cube. I went Kann Max to Fiio M17. And truly, I felt the FiiO M17 was my terminal DAP for at least 5-7 years. But when I heard the Kann Ultra. It was a fun moment.

Always make sure that I have a potential outgoing DAP on hand with what may be my incoming device. This way I can conduct A/B comparisons for as long as I like before making a firm decision.

Long listening sessions in quiet space is it no distractions. Joyous.

I use a specially curated audiophile playlist of all lossless music that touches various genres and sound profiles. That damn Kann Ultra surprised me. Hence, I kept it. And have been enjoying it since around right after Thanksgiving.

I haven’t been this jacked about a DAP since I went from listening to music on an iPod to a Sony WM1A. Must have been around 2017.

- Fabian Blache III

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #55 of 79
Thanks guys for the replies. I can't wait to get my hands on Kann Ultra. End game DAP for me for sure. Especially with my IE 900s. I'll give you guys a update when I get it.
There’s definitely a balance that Hass to be struck between following the technology curves and just wastefully dumping money on gear.

The portable DAP industry has definitely hit sweet spot when it comes to incremental, rather than monumental sonic advancements.

The industry is definitely in a refinement phase. And the Astell & Kern Kann Ultra is peak refinement.

- Fabian Blache III

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #56 of 79
I'm very impressed with the sound of the Kann Ultra and that's why I switched from Fiio to Astell Kern.

However, I still have problems/questions about the software and hope someone can help me:

Is it possible to activate a blue light filter/night mode? If yes how?

And...

I haven't been able to stream music from my NAS to the Kann Ultra. I'm a fan of the Fiio Music app, it was very easy. Is there a similar option?

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #57 of 79
I'm very impressed with the sound of the Kann Ultra and that's why I switched from Fiio to Astell Kern.

However, I still have problems/questions about the software and hope someone can help me:

Is it possible to activate a blue light filter/night mode? If yes how?

And...

I haven't been able to stream music from my NAS to the Kann Ultra. I'm a fan of the Fiio Music app, it was very easy. Is there a similar option?
Glad you are enjoying what is arguably one of the very best DAPs currently on the market. The Kann Ultra has very long legs. It should serve you well for quite some time.

As an aside, it is my opinion that the best third-party music app is actually the Hiby app. Nevertheless, you should be able to install the FiiO app on the Kann Ultra using the APK install feature.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #58 of 79
Glad you are enjoying what is arguably one of the very best DAPs currently on the market. The Kann Ultra has very long legs. It should serve you well for quite some time.

As an aside, it is my opinion that the best third-party music app is actually the Hiby app. Nevertheless, you should be able to install the FiiO app on the Kann Ultra using the APK install feature.
I wasn’t able to install the Hiby nor the Fiio apps on the Ultra. Are these supposed to be whitelisted?

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #59 of 79
I wasn’t able to install the Hiby nor the Fiio apps on the Ultra. Are these supposed to be whitelisted?
I don’t know. I’ve done it in the past on my previous Kann iterations. I haven’t done so on this model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back