Astell & Kern Kann MAX
Sep 12, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #497 of 549
The Astell & Kern family has children in 3 groups with UI Crimson, i.e. the new ones are:
Ultima - SP3000
Futura - SE300
Noma - SR35

Will a new DAP from UI Crimson be released this year
from the KANN series ???

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #498 of 549
No, it has to mean which high-priced current DAP gets a current surface! In other categories, we particularly mention smartphones whose manufacturers feel obliged to update them multiple times. And especially in the area of high-priced DAPs, whose clientele is much smaller, you should keep your customers happy. Of course, this doesn't work if you only install WiFi 2.4 GHz in a 1500 euro DAP like the KANN Max. For me, my last DAP from Astell&Kern.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #500 of 549
No, I'm not giving away my Astell&Kern Kann Max. Especially not for DAPs from China. The Chinese forfeited it to me when a technology transfer was imposed on Western companies that wanted to invest in China. You can still see this on a broad level today. It is copied shamelessly. And the Chinese Communist Party doesn't give a damn. I'd rather go with Sony. Maybe I'll forget my anger about the lack of support from Astell&Kern aka iRiver. They actually make good players. In this case I was a little disappointed. Nevertheless, in my opinion, Kann Max is a confident DAP.

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #503 of 549
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Kann Max to the Fiio M15s?

One of the reasons I'm asking is because both are one of few DAPs with multiple and high powe

KANN MAX VS M15S

In terms of power, the M15s, even in battery mode, presents final volume without loss of quality and dynamics superior to the Kann Max.

The Fiio M15s, for me, plays cleaner, more detailed, resolute, impactful and viceral, being a little less musical. Sometimes it's like a stone in the ear.

For listening to acoustic muscas, string playing, vocals it is excellent, for listening to modern music it lacked a little smoothness.

As a result of this sound with more presence and impact, the dynamics and final volume are greater than more neutral settings (DX320).

On Kann Max, when choosing "Super", when playing the HE6SEV2, from volume 130 to 150 it starts to distort and make noise.

The amplifier definitely lacks quality for full volume delivery.

I connected the Kann Max to the Burson 3XP, to confirm the deficiency of the Dac or amplifier, playing incredible on the Burson, the Kann's QUAD DAC is excellent, the deficiency of the kann's amplifier was implicit when playing the HE6SEV2.

It's unfortunate that Kann doesn't deliver every last drop of volume with quality.

Regarding the general sound quality, I have a slight preference for the Kann due to its smoothness, musicality and due to my greater preference for electronic music.

In terms of software experience, the Fiio m15s is a complete solution....

Both are very good, I can't say which would be better in terms of sound, but I say that the m15s is the more powerful and more capable of the two for playing more demanding headphones.

Tested:

HE6SEV2, LCD4, HE500, LCD3, HD800s...

The kann played excellently on the LCD- 4 and below, only leaving something to be desired on the HE6SEV2, it lacked quality in maximum volume delivery.

I have to sell one, both are musical, but I'm having a hard time giving up what kann does better than fiio...

A strong point in kann is the size, despite not having simple software everything works without complications, with the exception of Bluetooth which keeps disconnecting and difficulty connecting to some WIfi networks (VIVO).

Attachments

• P_20231014_151007_1.jpg
    P_20231014_151007_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #504 of 549
In terms of power, the M15s, even in battery mode, presents final volume without loss of quality and dynamics superior to the Kann Max.

The Fiio M15s, for me, plays cleaner, more detailed, resolute, impactful and viceral, being a little less musical. Sometimes it's like a stone in the ear.

For listening to acoustic muscas, string playing, vocals it is excellent, for listening to modern music it lacked a little smoothness.

As a result of this sound with more presence and impact, the dynamics and final volume are greater than more neutral settings (DX320).

On Kann Max, when choosing "Super", when playing the HE6SEV2, from volume 130 to 150 it starts to distort and make noise.

The amplifier definitely lacks quality for full volume delivery.

I connected the Kann Max to the Burson 3XP, to confirm the deficiency of the Dac or amplifier, playing incredible on the Burson, the Kann's QUAD DAC is excellent, the deficiency of the kann's amplifier was implicit when playing the HE6SEV2.

It's unfortunate that Kann doesn't deliver every last drop of volume with quality.

Regarding the general sound quality, I have a slight preference for the Kann due to its smoothness, musicality and due to my greater preference for electronic music.

In terms of software experience, the Fiio m15s is a complete solution....

Both are very good, I can't say which would be better in terms of sound, but I say that the m15s is the more powerful and more capable of the two for playing more demanding headphones.

Tested:

HE6SEV2, LCD4, HE500, LCD3, HD800s...

The kann played excellently on the LCD- 4 and below, only leaving something to be desired on the HE6SEV2, it lacked quality in maximum volume delivery.

I have to sell one, both are musical, but I'm having a hard time giving up what kann does better than fiio...

A strong point in kann is the size, despite not having simple software everything works without complications, with the exception of Bluetooth which keeps disconnecting and difficulty connecting to some WIfi networks (VIVO).
Thank you, very detailed and nuanced review and points.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #510 of 549
Just picked the Kaan Max 50% off brand new here. The sound is amazing to what it was in SR25 but man the UI sucks so bad. Even scrolling its playing songs accidentally through the list. the SR 25 same playlist has none of this plague issues. I wanted to avoid any chi-fi gear and want to support A&K but with even on sale this device sucks in terms of usability. I cant return this and now stuck with it. Do we have any news on a new Firmware fixing wifi and UI. Last time I saw @JasonNYC mentioned its coming months ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back