Astell & Kern Kann MAX
Jun 30, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #61 of 549
I wonder why this thread is here, it is no longer suitable for Portable Source Gear threading?
I see that there are the threads of the daps.
Maybe because it has a powerful built-in headphone amplifier?

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #62 of 549
Jun 30, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #63 of 549
I wonder why this thread is here, it is no longer suitable for Portable Source Gear threading?
I see that there are the threads of the daps.
Maybe because it has a powerful built-in headphone amplifier?
I have to wonder if I can hear hissing on my all-BA iem because KMax amp is perhaps too powerful for such even on low setting? Hoping this can be addressed via firmware update without charging sound signature.

Jul 1, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #64 of 549
Hi guys, I'm interested in getting the Max as i need a dap which is as small as possible because I'm traveling a lot this year.
Now I'm using the dx320 with amp13 and it's heavenly sounding dap, actually i don't need anything better (it's even too sophisticated in nuances to pay attention when I'm outside) but i need even more subbase rumble and the size of the dx320 is way too much for a pocket.
How would you compare the Max to the others AK players? I had for a long tests sp1000M, sp1000, sp2000T and I liked the sound from them all but they suffered from a bit narrower soundstage in comparison to the dx320. I tried the original Kann Alpha and didn't like the sound much- it was flat and uninspiring even in comparison to my previous dx300. Also how the Max compares to the se200?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #65 of 549
Hi guys, I'm interested in getting the Max as i need a dap which is as small as possible because I'm traveling a lot this year.
Now I'm using the dx320 with amp13 and it's heavenly sounding dap, actually i don't need anything better (it's even too sophisticated in nuances to pay attention when I'm outside) but i need even more subbase rumble and the size of the dx320 is way too much for a pocket.
How would you compare the Max to the others AK players? I had for a long tests sp1000M, sp1000, sp2000T and I liked the sound from them all but they suffered from a bit narrower soundstage in comparison to the dx320. I tried the original Kann Alpha and didn't like the sound much- it was flat and uninspiring even in comparison to my previous dx300. Also how the Max compares to the se200?
Hi. I wrote a few impressions in previous posts. I do prefer KMax to se200. Out of the four A&K models I’ve owned I do think KMax sounds best. And it is small and on the thick side.

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #68 of 549
Here's a review of my buddy Matty about the AK Kann MAX
Just spoke to Matty about his update running the Susvara Balanced on the MAX and he added it in the meantime
So now I'm in trouble ...
Yes you read it correct : Susvara driven by the MAX
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/blogs/reviews/astell-kern-kann-max-digital-audio-player-review
Screenshot_2022-07-02-16-22-35-62_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #69 of 549
I am excited to hear it. With the holiday, mine isn't slated to arrive until Friday. Hopefully it will arrive sooner. I still have my N8ii as well and a pile or review DAPS so we will see.

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #70 of 549
Here's a review of my buddy Matty about the AK Kann MAX
Just spoke to Matty about his update running the Susvara Balanced on the MAX and he added it in the meantime
So now I'm in trouble ...
Yes you read it correct : Susvara driven by the MAX
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/blogs/reviews/astell-kern-kann-max-digital-audio-player-review
Screenshot_2022-07-02-16-22-35-62_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Beautiful review!
Note that this little player drives hd800 and even susvara !!!
And iem's !!!
I must note that this player opened my ie800s for me, the ie800s have never sounded so good, what a stage, detail, emotion, !!!

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #71 of 549
Beautiful review!
Note that this little player drives hd800 and even susvara !!!
And iem's !!!
I must note that this player opened my ie800s for me, the ie800s have never sounded so good, what a stage, detail, emotion, !!!
I found the same with the Se846, didn’t need the volume as loud as I had previously with the Cube, soundstage and detail even at low levels is tremendous.

Jul 3, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #72 of 549
Plz, those who already enjoy the MAX, share more impressions! I love reading detailed sound descriptions and comparisons with other daps:)
I had a chance to try out the Max for as long as I wanted at my local audio store that had one on stock as a display :)

I was really tempted to get it, but felt like it wasn’t a massive improvement over my Alpha which I’ve only had for a year.

I used 4.4mm balanced with headphones I was super familiar with. The soundstage is much better, noise floor is reduced, bass and sub-bass are more present. It feels like it’s lifted up the Alpha to a more cleaner sound which is analytical and uncompromising. The Max is much faster in the menus as well. You definitely feel the size and weight decrease in a good way. Personally if I had to choose, I would grab an Alpha on sale (they’re about 50% the price of a Max at my local dealer). If you really had the money and liked the sound, the Max is there. It’s just a super different sound, much like the Cube was to the Alpha.

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #73 of 549
I had a chance to try out the Max for as long as I wanted at my local audio store that had one on stock as a display :)

I was really tempted to get it, but felt like it wasn’t a massive improvement over my Alpha which I’ve only had for a year.

I used 4.4mm balanced with headphones I was super familiar with. The soundstage is much better, noise floor is reduced, bass and sub-bass are more present. It feels like it’s lifted up the Alpha to a more cleaner sound which is analytical and uncompromising. The Max is much faster in the menus as well. You definitely feel the size and weight decrease in a good way. Personally if I had to choose, I would grab an Alpha on sale (they’re about 50% the price of a Max at my local dealer). If you really had the money and liked the sound, the Max is there. It’s just a super different sound, much like the Cube was to the Alpha.
Thanx! I hope it sounds way better than the Alpha as i wasnt a big fan of the way it sounded. For me the Alpha was flat and uninspiring. I much prefered my former dx300. Now i have the dx320 so the Max has quite a tough fight ahead. But as i mentioned, i could sucrifice a small sq drop for the way smaller size of the device.

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #74 of 549

So reading this I definitely want to hear it
I have a AK Kann Alpha here
But maybe time to upgrade ... 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back