Astell & Kern Kann MAX
Jun 27, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #46 of 549
Great news
Thanks for rootin’ for me.
Yeah listened a few hours today, no more library crashes. Must’ve been the card. Strange cuz I took it directly from another A&K player in which there were no problems.

Btw, KMax sounds marvelous.
To me it’s rather reference tuned, and by that I mean largely uncolored, revealing, certainly not warm, while possessing impressive dynamics. Although I can get ample warmth out of it depending on iem/cables.
The best thing is it sounds both well-bodied and fleet—instruments are spatially delineated and lively with a solid foundation underneath. It sounds like your listening to something whole, connected, rooted, and musical, scintillating. Not much of a quantitative description but it’s what I got (so far).
Curious to know if KAlpha sounds anything like this?

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #47 of 549
You’re welcome morndewey and good to hear your comments about sq.l with the Max. I certainly prefer detail to warm and as you mention, I have several different iem and hp cables Ive been using, to improve my listening experience. I’ve found 8 strand silver crystal cable to be really nice with Shure 535s on the Cube, with more hi frequency detail than my Andromedas using the same cable.
Anyway I have no really good reason to upgrade its just this new flashy gear thats so tempting to try out

Jun 28, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #48 of 549
Thanks for rootin’ for me.
Yeah listened a few hours today, no more library crashes. Must’ve been the card. Strange cuz I took it directly from another A&K player in which there were no problems.

Btw, KMax sounds marvelous.
To me it’s rather reference tuned, and by that I mean largely uncolored, revealing, certainly not warm, while possessing impressive dynamics. Although I can get ample warmth out of it depending on iem/cables.
The best thing is it sounds both well-bodied and fleet—instruments are spatially delineated and lively with a solid foundation underneath. It sounds like your listening to something whole, connected, rooted, and musical, scintillating. Not much of a quantitative description but it’s what I got (so far).
Curious to know if KAlpha sounds anything like this?
I agree, I find there are details more noticeable on tracks that I know well that i hadn’t really noticed before, I loved the Cube but the Max just seems slightly better all round, most friends who have had a listen to mine can’t believe the detail, one of whom is a musician. The size of it for the power and sound quality it kicks out, I’m sure it will get some rave reviews.

Jun 28, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #49 of 549
I agree, I find there are details more noticeable on tracks that I know well that i hadn’t really noticed before, I loved the Cube but the Max just seems slightly better all round, most friends who have had a listen to mine can’t believe the detail, one of whom is a musician. The size of it for the power and sound quality it kicks out, I’m sure it will get some rave reviews.
What about soundstage? I was happy with Cube, but then bought Alpha looking for an upgrade, but it hasn't impressed me at all. I consider Alpha simply a worse sounding DAP than Cube.

Jun 28, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #50 of 549
What about soundstage? I was happy with Cube, but then bought Alpha looking for an upgrade, but it hasn't impressed me at all. I consider Alpha simply a worse sounding DAP than Cube.
It does appear wider soundstage wise than the cube,, in my opinion, I’ve had my cube for 3 years and l find that the Max seems to have more space and air and individual instruments seem easier to follow, I’ll Do some further listening through both to do some comparison.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #51 of 549
You’re welcome morndewey and good to hear your comments about sq.l with the Max. I certainly prefer detail to warm and as you mention, I have several different iem and hp cables Ive been using, to improve my listening experience. I’ve found 8 strand silver crystal cable to be really nice with Shure 535s on the Cube, with more hi frequency detail than my Andromedas using the same cable.
Anyway I have no really good reason to upgrade its just this new flashy gear thats so tempting to try out
The nice thing about KMax, and this is especially true of sa700 also—cable effects are rather easily discerned.
SA700 was really ear opening for me. I’d never used a dap as revealing as it before, and cable effects were suddenly so evident to me. KMax clearly continues this capacity and is certainly more refined sounding than sa700.

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #52 of 549
Thanks for the info on KMax guys, I was concerned it might not be much of a SQ upgrade from the Cube but it seems it probably is. Its also smaller, lighter and cheaper and has more battery life. I’m certainly steering more towards it now, glad I didn’t go for the Alpha at least.
I really don’t think the tube would get much use if I went to SP2KT, probably just s gimick to me, not sure and I’ve seen reports of only 3 hours battery life which would be a pita.
The only issue I have is that unless I get on a plane I can’t test listen before deciding. I did that before buying the Cube though so not out of the question really.

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #53 of 549
What’s the wifi like on the KMax? It’s terrible on the cube

Jun 30, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #54 of 549
I got my kann max yesterday, a very nice device and it seems to be well built, meanwhile I only listened to initial listening, sounds great with clarity and lots of details, it breathed life into some tracks I know and felt I knew these songs again, he delivered them correctly and with Lots of emotion,
But this is just an initial listening ...
Hope to share my impression after listening carefully

Jun 30, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #59 of 549
Jun 30, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #60 of 549
This review is not legit, he was driving Susvara out of 3.5mm, it was sounding good, bass, spacious, just little flatter, and deskop amps are being used for that headphone to sing. M17 with DC mode engaged, out of 4.4mm, drives that headphone 80% maybe... my 2 cents.
Reviews for me this is just information on technical details and some indication of the sound ...
The final determinant is just my ears.
I have a friend with Susvara hoping soon to try the kann max with Sosvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back