Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 21, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #2,599 of 2,698
My first and last A&K product. Happily, I use it with stored music via MicroSD and UPNP servers, so not as impacted on the lack of streaming services as many on this thread.

Great hardware, but no real support. There are other options in the DAP market and once the KANN needs to be replaced, those other companies will get my custom.

May 21, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #2,600 of 2,698
May 21, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #2,601 of 2,698
There may be hope as received email that AK is rolling out fix model per model, but does not mention which models,,Jason any news for Kann owners,,,,,?thx
The dev team is looking into a few different options to support the 4+ year old players that they originally said would get no updates. The first solution is using the AK Connect app installed via your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet and streaming via DLNA to KANN and other players. Other apps such as mconnect will work right now, allowing bit-perfect Tidal or Qobuz streaming to KANN and any other wi-fi enabled AK player.

They also have some thoughts on other possible options. Once they push out the firmware updates for the current 13 models and update the AK Connect app, they will work on other options. They are planning on updating with more info sometime in June.

Last edited:
Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 21, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #2,602 of 2,698
The dev team is looking into a few different options to support the 4+ year old players that they originally said would get no updates. The first solution is using the AK Connect app installed via your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet and streaming via DLNA to KANN and other players. Other apps such as mconnect will work right now, allowing bit-perfect Tidal or Qobuz streaming to KANN and any other wi-fi enabled AK player.

They also have some thoughts on other possible options. Once they push out the firmware updates for the current 13 models and update the AK Connect app, they will work on other options. They are planning on updating with more info sometime in June.
Good to hear and hope something develops. I will say that I bought my Kann brand new from Crutchfield on 6/12/2020, a company I think most will agree is a very respected retailer. Yes, I could have bought the Kann Alpha then, but I preferred the two SD card slots, front controls, side spinning volume control, smaller form factor and it was $500 less than the Alpha.

May 23, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #2,603 of 2,698
did anyone ever using a contact cleaner to spray kann's volume control? my volume control seems to have a skipping step problem (classic AK issue) and i'm wondering if using contact cleaner will solve the issue without diassembly

thanks before :wink:

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #2,608 of 2,698

Hi JasonNYC, the May 21, 2021 you wrote it. It is the 5th of July so will there be another option than Mconnect or not ? why not make your own app on iOS, android and web application as Bluesound does for example ? Mconnect is very slow and not very ergonomic.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #2,610 of 2,698

hi do you have the firmware file mine shows the battery icon nothing else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back