Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 1, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #2,581 of 2,698
It may not be possible for the Kann to be updated to accept the new Tidal verification protocol. The software engineers at A&K are probably aware as to what can or cannot be done to remedy the problem. I am not privy to that information.

My issue is that I bought the Kann brand new from a certified A&K retailer on Feb 2020 as a dap AND streaming music player via Tidal. My Kann is two months out of warranty and an important component of the player is useless. No compensation for my loss. From either side.

Sorry if I didn’t read the unwritten fine print that states, “Warning: the operating system could be obsolete in a few years or less. Buy at your own risk. However, we are constantly churning out new products that are updated for purchase!”

May 2, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #2,582 of 2,698
Tidal dropping support for a six year old version of Android is kind of to be expected. A three year old luxury device continuing to use that same severely outdated OS is not.

A&K ****ed up here. Just giving people the ability to load APKs onto the KANN like you can with any of their more recent devices seems like a no brainer.
That I understand and agree with and was the same thing I said just differently. Responsibility of the OS is A&K. Unfortunately, the KANN hardware might be to old to support a newer version of Android. I don’t really know but that might be the case here. But some seem to think it’s all on A&K when it is not.

May 2, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #2,583 of 2,698
I dont care about new Android version not being compatible with KANN HW, but i do believe that AK could work together with Tidal to develop a personalized version of app with the new requirements, as the player had preinstalled the embedded version of Tidal.

But my opinion is that AK eforts, resources and money are focused towards pushing new players or new colour version of some older players (see gold version of SA700).

For me, for the price and product being sold as a premium one is just unacceptable.

P.S.-if AK really cared about their clients, they could compensate for this issue, at least for those who bought the player in the last year, like a discount voucher for future purchases, for example (i am not one of them, i have the player for 2 years now).

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #2,584 of 2,698
The KANN was a first of its kind for A&K and I think they made the same mistake as Microsoft did with their Surface Desktop. It was conceived with current hardware of the time then when development was done and it was ready for actual production the hardware was now outdated in the tech world leaving it slow, clunky and possibly not updateable to newer OS versions.

May 3, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #2,585 of 2,698
The fast moving world of tech means things will probably continue to reach obsolescence quickly.

I try to be loyal to my tech and do put in research before purchase. However, I'm learning that years pass quickly. This thread seems to have started on April 5 2017 - now over 4 years ago. I remember the anticipation and expectation.

The KANN using Android was always gonna eventually age. Because of its longstanding limitations with streaming services, I tolerated simply using my phone and tablet for streams, keeping the KANN for land based hi-res music.

The IEMs I paid out for three years ago are now old fashioned.

Even my TV isn't as smart as the ones my kids own.

At least my 40 year old turntable can't go out of date any more.

May 3, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #2,586 of 2,698
May 4, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #2,587 of 2,698
Hi there

I feel that people are missing the point…

Yes, the KANN does have hardware limitations which make it more difficult, but not impossible, to update the firmware to a TIDAL compatible version, or provide alternatives) - but its not the main issue here.

Its Astell & Kerns response to the problem that is the issue.

The way that A&K are treating their existing user base is pathetic - both for its new products and existing user base.

Assuming they have a commercial relationship with TIDAL, they would have known in advance that TIDAL were proposing to update their authentication process and had time to manage the situation and didn’t.

To ignore the needs of TIDAL users on ‘older’ products, some of which were still be sold by A&K very recently - and all of which are market as premium audio devices is totally dishonourable (I am using this word in case a Korean A&K person reads this).

At the very least they should be offering a generous trade in…

They seem to be treating their products as if they are mid-range mobile phones, with shelf lives of less than 3 years.

Every other high end audio product I have had and used is supported by their manufacturers for many years after production stops - and yes my almost 50 year old Thorens TD160 had a new drive belt this year…..

Now we know - Astell & Kern products at all price points are not premium products.

May 7, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #2,588 of 2,698
I've just realized that with mconnect app installed on my mobile phone I can stream Tidal on Kann, I just need to enable AK Connect. It is not the same flawless user experience of the Kann embedded Tidal app, but the plus is that MQA files are supported!

May 7, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #2,589 of 2,698
I've just realized that with mconnect app installed on my mobile phone I can stream Tidal on Kann, I just need to enable AK Connect. It is not the same flawless user experience of the Kann embedded Tidal app, but the plus is that MQA files are supported!
Well, i just tried to do the same thing with AK Connect app on my iPhone 11 Max Pro, latest IOS version…SURPISE…i got the same error when i tried to log in Tidal in AK Connect.

May 7, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #2,590 of 2,698
Well, i just tried to do the same thing with AK Connect app on my iPhone 11 Max Pro, latest IOS version…SURPISE…i got the same error when i tried to log in Tidal in AK Connect.
mconnect player login to Tidal is working for me on iOS. I just logged out and back in with no problem.

May 7, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #2,592 of 2,698
mconnect is working for me to, but thats not the point.
AK said KANN HW is old and cannot update the software to support new auth mechanism for Tidal.
My question is why they cannot update AK Connect app?

Oops. I misunderstood. I didn't realize that you could log in to Tidal from the AK Connect iOS app. I tried and you are absolutely correct, it doesn't work.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #2,593 of 2,698
mconnect is working for me to, but thats not the point.
AK said KANN HW is old and cannot update the software to support new auth mechanism for Tidal.
My question is why they cannot update AK Connect app?
You are right AK Connect does not work any longer with Tidal due to the same log in issue, but you still have the possibility to use mconnect to stream Tidal.
I agree that AK should at least release an update of AK Connect app. It shouldn't be a huge effort...

May 9, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #2,594 of 2,698
Hi folks,

I've read a lot of the rage about Tidal compatibility and agree that's pretty subpar from A&K. If however I'm not planning to stream music (or can live without it) does the Kann, bought new for c. €700 make sense in 2021, as a high quality DAP, or are there significantly better options out there? What appeals is the battery life, separate LO, solid build quality and not needing an external amp (I've tended to stack with my previous DAPs), and flexibility with memory, SD Cards etc.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

May 9, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #2,595 of 2,698
Hi folks,

I've read a lot of the rage about Tidal compatibility and agree that's pretty subpar from A&K. If however I'm not planning to stream music (or can live without it) does the Kann, bought new for c. €700 make sense in 2021, as a high quality DAP, or are there significantly better options out there? What appeals is the battery life, separate LO, solid build quality and not needing an external amp (I've tended to stack with my previous DAPs), and flexibility with memory, SD Cards etc.

Any thoughts gratefully received!
To help answer your question. Permit me to present my evaluation of a cheaper player and the KANN.

I have the KANN and a Cowon Plenue D2 (PD2). The former was three times the price of the latter.

Both are excellent players. The KANN can take my two 512gb micro SD cards (one in an SD adapter). The Plenue just accepts a 128gb micro SD card but is remarkably powerful and also has balanced out and can also do balanced line out - just like the KANN.

Interface wise, both are fairly bae bones, but usable with EQ options and limited playlist capability on board. I transfer files onto a card reader from computer to minimise corruption on the cards.

Since I bought them both, there seems to be plenty to choose from between the price points of the two. But, I have found both to be very, very good to just playing music. The PD2 is better value, but was a third of the price. I still rate it as a great buy. The KANN can be had cheaper than it was originally and so could be seen as a bargain, but there are other models now which might satisfy a new purchaser.

Battery life on the Plenue was excellent at first but now is shorter. The KANN keeps your hands warm when playing hi Res files and the battery life is therefore shorter.

Initial database updates take longer on the A&K but then it is scanning 512GB as opposed to 128 for the Cowon.

Both players can drive all the earphones I have tried on them and can handle my lossless ALAC and FLAC files. The sound quality you can achieve is very, very impressive with the right output equipment.

The Plenue is smaller than a cigarette packet, the KANN is more the size of a smoker's pipe case and not as pocket-friendly for on the go. It is reassuringly heavy and solid though.

I don't regret either player purchase, and as I've said before, use my phone for streaming. A fellow member kindly passed on the A&K German service department so I could look to getting my KANN battery replaced, which I will do at some point - a sign that I'd rather keep the KANN as a player than find something new. That illustrates the point that I think the KANN is good enough sound wise as a player to merit bing held onto.

Because my iPhone 6 has proven to be a decent streamer, I've been able to just focus on the KANN's ability as a home-based player - something it achieves very well for me at a premium price.

So, do I consider the KANN worth the extra money for the added capacity and larger form factor over the PD2? Yes I still do, although, if I was on a budget, the cheaper DAP is such good value it is possible to simply swap out 128GB MICRO SD cards and save a few hundred notes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back