Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jul 25, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #2,461 of 2,698
110235598_2927979030663464_3007441876795246076_n.jpg

113458900_1188563951512650_1822214728849679244_n.png

Managed to do a long demo to get to know the KANN, short conclusion for me is that its an impressive DAP with a sound that doesn't feel like its coming from a portable source, its the first time i heard my MDR Z7 driven so well.
up until i got the adapter to use the XLR balanced on my DX7s, its the best sounding source I ever get to try.

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #2,463 of 2,698
Hey folks, I have ran into a problem with my KANN yesterday. It does this thing where it will work for a song or two, then if I try to switch songs, the sound will go out to where all I hear is 16-bit like noise. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Is there a way to fix it?

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #2,464 of 2,698
I have an idea of what's going on. The player is really overheating. It's almost painfully hot to the touch. I've only had it for a year, and now I'm running into these problems. So here's a new question: What is a suitable replacement?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #2,465 of 2,698
I have an idea of what's going on. The player is really overheating. It's almost painfully hot to the touch. I've only had it for a year, and now I'm running into these problems. So here's a new question: What is a suitable replacement?
What kind of files are you using? Mine is slightly warm but ok with FLAC and gets kinda hot and slightly slow in response just with DSD. I've never had a problem like yours though

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #2,466 of 2,698
I just started happening suddenly. A&K customer service has reached out to send it in to have it fixed, but I think I'm going to buy something else instead. I think I'm going to choose the Hiby R6 Pro.

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #2,467 of 2,698
And to answer your question: Mostly regular 16-bit FLAC files. I do have hi-def files on there and some mp3's gotten to the point now that it won't even show up on the computer. It gets too hot now. :triportsad: So, I'm going for something more recent.

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #2,468 of 2,698
why not try for a repair, is the shipping cost too big of a deterrent or something? hhe dealer who sold you it can't help?

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #2,469 of 2,698
It's one of those things where the expense may become more than the quote for fixing it. It's also a used unit I got from Ebay for a good price.

However, I am considering buying a new device and sending it in. I've got three weeks to decide before they move on.

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #2,470 of 2,698
Hi, I have a problem with the volume setting on the Kann that hopefully somebody can help with. I have attached an external USB DAC into the micro USB port and activated the USB icon on the notification screen. So far so good, and it does play back music, but the volume seems to be fixed at a level of 150. Obviously this is extremely loud, but turning the volume wheel downwards makes no difference, it just will not budge from 150. There is no volume adjustment available on the USB DAC unfortunately, so can't adjust that either. Can't see anything in the manual. Anybody any ideas on how to fix? Thanks.

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,472 of 2,698
Hi, I have a problem with the volume setting on the Kann that hopefully somebody can help with. I have attached an external USB DAC into the micro USB port and activated the USB icon on the notification screen. So far so good, and it does play back music, but the volume seems to be fixed at a level of 150. Obviously this is extremely loud, but turning the volume wheel downwards makes no difference, it just will not budge from 150. There is no volume adjustment available on the USB DAC unfortunately, so can't adjust that either. Can't see anything in the manual. Anybody any ideas on how to fix? Thanks.
Thanks for reply, makes sense.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #2,473 of 2,698
Now that I'm in this thread I'll ask stupid question no2.

I can't seem to listen to songs from the inbuilt Tidal app on the Kann, there is no sound listening through headphones, or coming out the speakers when streaming wirelessly to my amp. However I can listen back to Flac files that are on a Micro SD card in the Kann via headphones and my amp and speakers no problem, again this is wirelessly. Can't understand what would be the problem between selecting Tidal or Flac, surely both should play back no problem? I select my chosen output using the AK Connect Speaker function, which I assume is the correct thing to do to be able to hear the Tidal songs?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #2,474 of 2,698
I empathize with y'all having problems with your Kann. It seems A&K have abandoned all of us with no apparent support anymore for the Kann. First they release two firmware updates the render many Kann players unuseable, then abandon them with no fix. I have asked Jason for information on a firmware update to repair the update that broke things only to be responded to with something like "we're working on it" C'mon A&K, if you expect us to purchase in the future you're going to have to do better than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back