Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jan 28, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #2,297 of 2,698
Guys, I think we need to be patient. The Korean New Year was last Saturday, so suspect the problem solvers may have been out celebrating and have only returned to work this week. However, the total silence by the European support team does not bode well. As far as I'm concerned A&K have until the end of the week to come up with a solution before my Kann gets returned.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #2,298 of 2,698
Guys. I've just checked the Korean website of A&K and (a) the update software that caused the problems has been removed from the 'Download' page and (b) on the 'Notice' page it talks of a suspension period for their Lunar New Year as 24th Jan to 27th Jan and that service will be coninued after 28th Jan. Here's hoping

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #2,299 of 2,698
I've been trying to find an answer to this having quit a few years experience flashing sat boxes and rooting phones. I used software called odin that showed device connected to PC and you navigate to the downloaded firmware file and reflash. The problem is Astell and kern don't make it easy to get old firmware in the first place and while searching nothing really comes up apart from people having had problems on this site. Nothing from manufacturers which is a concern, I'm lucky as never update firmware until proved to be safe, not what those effected want to hear, I really feel so sorry for those with bricked devices and will keep trying to download old firmware in the hope odin may work. Although developed for Samsung I found it worked with some other devices. Also remember that although an attractive wealthy sounding name they are still iRiver who weren't the most sought after devices a few years ago. Let's hope some clever person on here can develop some simple computer software and find an older firmware file that can be reflashed for those not in a position to return, Astell&Kern should be doing this at least. Hope things work out.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #2,300 of 2,698
I am in the same stance regarding the return or not of my KANN. Therefore I have been doing some A/B (not blinded) testings vs other two DAP I own and got to say, that it is extremely difficult to assess whether is it worth or not. Maybe I am now little biased against Astell as a whole because of their poor performance regarding the update issue but sometimes the other DAP wins and sometimes the KANN but not regularly and clearly. The music tested is always the same. Difficult, very difficult.

@tjpearson Great thanks for sharing about Odin software, its very useful!!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #2,301 of 2,698
My brother swears by Cowon, as players available without having to remortgage your house, he loves them, he also likes the device to have its own software and not use Android as a backbone which may be a good argument. He was impressed with my Kann and thought he was gonna upgrade to one but no, he's just got another Cowon second hand over £1000 new and loves it. We all think ours is the best though :)

Jan 30, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #2,306 of 2,698
Can @JasonNYC the A&K representative give us an update of the situation with the bricked KANN players. It would be much appreciated. It's been quiet for almost a week now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back