Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Feb 6, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #2,327 of 2,698
Anyone any idea how to stop a constant tendency for my KANN to be scanning media?
Seems to be when both card slots are filled. Individually each card is fine in the unit.
Worst thing about it for me is battery drain, even in Sleep mode. Nice n warm though!

Music plays fine though, except the Album browser is incomplete. The Folder browser for each card is fine.

Have tried all I can think of, including Reset to Factory, which I can only do by turning off. Removing cards, turning on, waiting for internal media scan to complete and then can Reset.

Hoping perhaps next Firmware may help. I realise others have more serious bricking issues at the moment but its useful having information up here in case others have similar problems.

I also appreciate the attention @JasonNYC gives to this forum. This does not detract from the potential awesomeness of the KANN as a music player.

Best wishes from "north england" (as one of our politicians recently called it) to other users, especially waiting patiently for solutions.

Feb 6, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #2,328 of 2,698
What is the fastest intensity when charging the KANN via USB-C (using an adapter rated 2.4A) .... is it 1.6A-1.7A the highest?
Are you using a charger that indicates the charging current?
This 1.6A looks to be a tipical value when the Quickcharge method switches to higher voltage (9V). Do you see 3 bars in the charging symbol?

Feb 7, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #2,330 of 2,698
Don't wanna say this but after having issues with Kann and having bad support form A&K I must say that this company just care about money and not about customers or owner of their products.

On their website it doesn't clearly say how exactly I need to format bigger SD card 512gb/1tb to use on KANN but I had to find myself!

No specific softwares No nothing just says after update you can use your damn 1tb SD card LOL

Feb 7, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #2,332 of 2,698
And I don't want you too either. What i want to see you write is something more like "I don't like my KANN And I'm moving on to something I do like" That way we could just find your posts in another thread.

You are just another paid actor from A&K! this company is a joke that's all I wanted to say to everyone.

Feb 7, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #2,334 of 2,698
Our dev team has identified the issue from the latest firmware update and is finalizing the procedures globally. Unfortunately the units affected will need to be sent to be wiped and new system files installed. It cannot be done by the user.

For those in the US/Canada, if you contacted our North America support team already, you will receive an email in the next day or two with information on returning your KANN for service. If you are in the US/Canada and have not contacted our support team, please do so via our support email at support@theinvixion.com

For the rest of the world, I would recommend contacting the dealer you purchased the player from or the authorized repair center in the region as they should now have the information on how to proceed to fix your unit.

THE WORST product experience in my entire life. lol. So inconvenient because I don't have authorized centers at my location and the device was bought in another city. Manual guide to fix from A&K was my last hope on resolving this issue in the right way :frowning2:

p.s. hire at least few QA Engineers pls

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #2,335 of 2,698
[/QUOTE]
Anyone any idea how to stop a constant tendency for my KANN to be scanning media?
Seems to be when both card slots are filled. Individually each card is fine in the unit.
Worst thing about it for me is battery drain, even in Sleep mode. Nice n warm though!

Music plays fine though, except the Album browser is incomplete. The Folder browser for each card is fine.

Have tried all I can think of, including Reset to Factory, which I can only do by turning off. Removing cards, turning on, waiting for internal media scan to complete and then can Reset.

Hoping perhaps next Firmware may help. I realise others have more serious bricking issues at the moment but its useful having information up here in case others have similar problems.

I also appreciate the attention @JasonNYC gives to this forum. This does not detract from the potential awesomeness of the KANN as a music player.

Best wishes from "north england" (as one of our politicians recently called it) to other users, especially waiting patiently for solutions.

I' reformatted both SD and MicroSD cards in the Kann. Was a bit hard as it was stuck in Scanning Media mode. But I reset it and left it to rescan itself (lost the example music files though).. Once it had stopped scanning, I was able to insert each card and Erase it.

Recopied music via card reader from my Mac. Android File Transfer is slow and seems to always want KANN to be restarted before it senses it via USB.

So far, despite taking an age, the KANN has scanned both cards and stopped scanning. All is now well.

My guess might be that some card or file corruption was causing problems. Frustrating that there isn't a way to stop a media scan on the unit, or at least a timeout when things do get stuck. The only way I had been able to get out of the unit stuck on Scanning Media was by removing the cards _ which probably didn't help in the long run.

On Media Scanning - It looks like each Artist folder gets scanned in order and it works its way through the alphabet. Took about 15 mins for my 256 MicroSD and closer to 40 mins for my 512 SD card when it was added.

Like other users, a card, once inserted, triggers the notification that the card has been safely removed, rather than is inserted. However, fior me it was reassuring seeing the message as it also indicated that the unit was responding.

All this stuff useful for others to know if they have any similar problems.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #2,337 of 2,698
When you put the card in the KANN go to settings, system info, where the cards are shown hit erase card and the kann will erase the card and format it to fat32 If the device is scanning then the erase option will be greyed and not available to hit. But if you are using fresh cards then the scan process shouldn't take too long. However, see some of the other posts above discussing the scan issue with the latest firmware crap.

Feb 8, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #2,338 of 2,698
So it seems all the endless scanning issue has to do with having a 1tb card in it. When I replaced the 1 tb with the 512GB card that has been there since I bought it in 2017 every thing works like it should again. When I first started using the 1tb SD card there were some annoying things but it never went into endless scan until the 1.13 firmware so...

And Yes the 1tb card was formatted in the KANN before I loaded it with music. A&K should be able to fix this, the SP2k works just fine with 1tb card.

Feb 8, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #2,339 of 2,698
So it seems all the endless scanning issue has to do with having a 1tb card in it. When I replaced the 1 tb with the 512GB card that has been there since I bought it in 2017 every thing works like it should again. When I first started using the 1tb SD card there were some annoying things but it never went into endless scan until the 1.13 firmware so...

And Yes the 1tb card was formatted in the KANN before I loaded it with music. A&K should be able to fix this, the SP2k works just fine with 1tb card.
Not necessarily just 1TB cards.

My scanning issue was with 512 and 256gb cards. I can only guess at it having been a file write error now I've re-copied the music over.

But, why another player works fine with a card and the KANN fails is frustrating.

Is it worth checking the card for errors? I can do this on my Mac for Fat32. Windows 7+might need something added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back