Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Dec 26, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #2,146 of 2,698
What aee the differences in sq between the Kann and the Kann cube? I would expect there to be a difference, given the fact that they have different DAC chips installed in both.

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #2,147 of 2,698
What aee the differences in sq between the Kann and the Kann cube? I would expect there to be a difference, given the fact that they have different DAC chips installed in both.
Kann is warmer sounding. Cube sounds clearer, I may say sharper, has more power and wider soundstage.

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #2,148 of 2,698
Kann is warmer sounding. Cube sounds clearer, I may say sharper, has more power and wider soundstage.

Thanks. That makes 2 different and clearly distinct sound signatures, it seems. My cube just arrived. I have not even tested it yet, but I am debating whether to keep my Kann for OTG use (since the cube seems too big and unwieldy for that) or sell it. I like the sound of the Kann as well as its massive storage capacities. I only went for the cube because of the software/App limitations of the Kann.

It helps that the Kann and the Cube present two different and clearly distinct SQ flavors, hence two different sonic experiences. If I wind up keeping both, the Kann won't feel like it is sonically redundant.

Thanks again.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #2,149 of 2,698
This is going to be a mega stupid request but this Forum is always so helpful so I'm never afraid to ask. Been using the Kann for a few months now and paired with my Nightowls the sound is great. My problem is that I'm always reluctant to muck about with the EQ settings and prefer everything flat but some albums just lack that tad of base and depth. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to set what to what and save as a profile to give me these missing attributes. The EQ settings to me look like you need a degree in sound engineering and I really don't know where to start. Example screen shots would be great.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #2,150 of 2,698
This is going to be a mega stupid request but this Forum is always so helpful so I'm never afraid to ask. Been using the Kann for a few months now and paired with my Nightowls the sound is great. My problem is that I'm always reluctant to muck about with the EQ settings and prefer everything flat but some albums just lack that tad of base and depth. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to set what to what and save as a profile to give me these missing attributes. The EQ settings to me look like you need a degree in sound engineering and I really don't know where to start. Example screen shots would be great.
------------------------------
When I bought KANN, I tried EQ once. It seems almost superfluous. I'd rather listen with a balanced headset. (HD650) As good as it is. With EQ, you can only mess up this sound. (if I want to be a very basshead, sometimes. Then I use HD630VB .. rarely) :)

Dec 29, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #2,151 of 2,698
------------------------------
When I bought KANN, I tried EQ once. It seems almost superfluous. I'd rather listen with a balanced headset. (HD650) As good as it is. With EQ, you can only mess up this sound. (if I want to be a very basshead, sometimes. Then I use HD630VB .. rarely) :)

Yes Stemplar, I feel I agree with you, achieve these missings by cable or just carry on burning in the Nightowls, the sound is great and really begrudge starting the nightmare of forever tweaking EQ so nice to read your response, thanks.

Dec 29, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #2,152 of 2,698
Yes Stemplar, I feel I agree with you, achieve these missings by cable or just carry on burning in the Nightowls, the sound is great and really begrudge starting the nightmare of forever tweaking EQ so nice to read your response, thanks.

Not at all. :) Whatever I did with EQ. It just got worse ... I think very few use it.

Dec 29, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,153 of 2,698
When you access the EQ settings, there is one preset (Pro EQ). I don't discern much difference between that and flat, but you could try that to see how you like it. If you want to customize, hit the "+" symbol. That initiates a new custom setting profile, which you will then be prompted to name. (I typically name a profile after the headphones I'm using it for.) Once you do that, you can adjust the frequency bands as you wish to get the sound you want. The standard mode of adjustment is graphic EQ, which consists of 20 sliders, each corresponding to a certain frequency band. Roughly speaking, below 250 Hz is considered bass and sub-bass; 250 Hz to 2 kHz is considered midrange; and above 2 kHz is considered treble. Adjustment is limited to +/- 6 dB per band. (See this article for more detailed descriptions: https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum/.) I typically use custom settings to compensate for a specific sonic trait I don't like in a given set of headphones, rather than trying to tweak its entire sound signature. For example, if a pair is a little bass shy but otherwise excellent, I'll up the bass frequencies without touching anything else.

There is also a parametric EQ setting, which really allows you to dial in specific settings, but it's a bit complicated to explain. There's plenty of information on parametric EQ online, found by a simple Google search, which is how I learned to use it. Each custom profile can be adjusted either in graphic EQ or parametric EQ, and changes made in one mode will be reflected in the other.

Any time you make an adjustment to an existing profile, those changes are saved automatically, and there is no undo option; so just be aware if you like a certain profile, don't monkey with it without knowing what you did. When using customized EQ, the Kann reduces the volume output to compensate for increases in volume in certain frequency bands, which means you will lose a bit of maximum gain.

I do find the Kann's EQ helpful with certain headphones, but it is not as potent or impactful as the settings on a program like JRiver. Still, play around with it and see what you like. The nice thing about the Kann is it allows you to establish as many custom profiles as you want, so you're not limited to one. (Contrast that with something like the FIIO X5, which has a ton of presets, but only one customized profile, so you can't have a dedicated custom profile for each set of headphones.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #2,156 of 2,698
When you access the EQ settings, there is one preset (Pro EQ). I don't discern much difference between that and flat, but you could try that to see how you like it. If you want to customize, hit the "+" symbol. That initiates a new custom setting profile, which you will then be prompted to name. (I typically name a profile after the headphones I'm using it for.) Once you do that, you can adjust the frequency bands as you wish to get the sound you want. The standard mode of adjustment is graphic EQ, which consists of 20 sliders, each corresponding to a certain frequency band. Roughly speaking, below 250 Hz is considered bass and sub-bass; 250 Hz to 2 kHz is considered midrange; and above 2 kHz is considered treble. Adjustment is limited to +/- 6 dB per band. (See this article for more detailed descriptions: https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum/.) I typically use custom settings to compensate for a specific sonic trait I don't like in a given set of headphones, rather than trying to tweak its entire sound signature. For example, if a pair is a little bass shy but otherwise excellent, I'll up the bass frequencies without touching anything else.

There is also a parametric EQ setting, which really allows you to dial in specific settings, but it's a bit complicated to explain. There's plenty of information on parametric EQ online, found by a simple Google search, which is how I learned to use it. Each custom profile can be adjusted either in graphic EQ or parametric EQ, and changes made in one mode will be reflected in the other.

Any time you make an adjustment to an existing profile, those changes are saved automatically, and there is no undo option; so just be aware if you like a certain profile, don't monkey with it without knowing what you did. When using customized EQ, the Kann reduces the volume output to compensate for increases in volume in certain frequency bands, which means you will lose a bit of maximum gain.

I do find the Kann's EQ helpful with certain headphones, but it is not as potent or impactful as the settings on a program like JRiver. Still, play around with it and see what you like. The nice thing about the Kann is it allows you to establish as many custom profiles as you want, so you're not limited to one. (Contrast that with something like the FIIO X5, which has a ton of presets, but only one customized profile, so you can't have a dedicated custom profile for each set of headphones.)

Hope this helps.
-------------
Thanks for the tips. Indeed, my biggest problem with the EQ is that the HD650 has a very low volume. It didn't make a profit for me. (Without EQ, 90-100 volume is enough. In balanced) EQs are hard to interpret. But it was a helpful description of you.

Dec 31, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #2,157 of 2,698
-------------
Thanks for the tips. Indeed, my biggest problem with the EQ is that the HD650 has a very low volume. It didn't make a profit for me. (Without EQ, 90-100 volume is enough. In balanced) EQs are hard to interpret. But it was a helpful description of you.
Have you set the Kann to High Gain mode? If yes you still have some headroom from 100 up to 150. If not, just do it.

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #2,158 of 2,698
I have a wife that sees my every move and just doesn't understand this simple passion, so when told her the price of some of these balanced cables divorce court was on the cards. So I thought nothing to loose so got cheap £35 cable from Amazon that at least would allow me to sample and return if crap. Surprisingly the sound improvement with gain set high was mega, so happy result, won't be to the standard most on this forum would pay for but still an improvement. Love my Kann :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back