Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jun 12, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #2,011 of 2,698
Hi guys

After some saving money i finally got my Kann today, however i just can´t get it to read my 400gb Sandisk Ultra microsd.

First i format the sd card on Fat32, on Windows 10 with Minipartition Tool Wizard, this sofware have always worked perfectly for me.

Then i insert the microsd card, and nothing happens, not even a notification, so obviously i can´t even think about formatting it again with the Kann, i can´t mount it, it is just not there.

I´ve even tried the sd card adapter, same result.

However, if i remove the microsd card, it will show a notification "sd card has been removed".

So i´m kind of hopeless.

Jun 12, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #2,012 of 2,698
Hi guys

After some saving money i finally got my Kann today, however i just can´t get it to read my 400gb Sandisk Ultra microsd.

First i format the sd card on Fat32, on Windows 10 with Minipartition Tool Wizard, this sofware have always worked perfectly for me.

Then i insert the microsd card, and nothing happens, not even a notification, so obviously i can´t even think about formatting it again with the Kann, i can´t mount it, it is just not there.

I´ve even tried the sd card adapter, same result.

However, if i remove the microsd card, it will show a notification "sd card has been removed".

So i´m kind of hopeless.
Sorry to hear of your issues. There are a few things that I would recommend you trying:

1. Is the card recognizable on your computer? Can you copy files to it and read files on it? If so, try reinserting in KANN and see if the card is recognized.
2. Try a soft reset on the KANN. To perform a soft reset, press and hold the power button while the player is turned on. After 10 - 15 seconds, the player will turn off. Press the power button again to turn on.
3. Try a factory reset. Please note this will erase anything on the KANN and reset to factory defaults. Settings -> Default Settings -> Factory data reset

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 12, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #2,013 of 2,698
Sorry to hear of your issues. There are a few things that I would recommend you trying:

1. Is the card recognizable on your computer? Can you copy files to it and read files on it? If so, try reinserting in KANN and see if the card is recognized.
2. Try a soft reset on the KANN. To perform a soft reset, press and hold the power button while the player is turned on. After 10 - 15 seconds, the player will turn off. Press the power button again to turn on.
3. Try a factory reset. Please note this will erase anything on the KANN and reset to factory defaults. Settings -> Default Settings -> Factory data reset

Hi Jason

Thanks for the quick response.

1.Yes, no problem at all, i can format the card to FAT32 on my computer, then put some files on it, play them...works just fine.
2.Tried already, nothing has changed.
3.Tried already, same result.

Some 32gb microsd card i had around worked fine with the Kann, obviously not the size i´m happy with.

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #2,014 of 2,698
Here´s the thing.

My old and beloved Meizu MX5 Pro has done it for me again.

I have a Sansa Clip with custom firmware that i use when i go to the gym, back in the day i tried to add a 128gb card but it won´t read it, so i formatted the microsd card with the MX5 Pro, and it worked.

I just did the same thing with the 400gb microsd card and the Kann finally read it.

Now it is time to see how this beautiful device does with my B&W P7 and the Meze 99 Classics.

Jun 12, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #2,015 of 2,698
Hi Jason

Thanks for the quick response.

1.Yes, no problem at all, i can format the card to FAT32 on my computer, then put some files on it, play them...works just fine.
2.Tried already, nothing has changed.
3.Tried already, same result.

Some 32gb microsd card i had around worked fine with the Kann, obviously not the size i´m happy with.
If Kann is failing on the scan look for video files and playlists (i think it was m4a) that interfere with the scan. If you put a blank card in, does it see the capacity? If it does can you put one song on the card and have the kann see that? I could not get my library to scan on initial load (800g - 2x400g cards) because i had some video files. Nothing would load because the scan would not complete. Just something else to think about. If you need the list of bad files I'll google that but video was a no no and non standard playlists seemed like a nono as well. Scan won't complete and Kann doesn't create the library. Good luck.

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #2,016 of 2,698
If Kann is failing on the scan look for video files and playlists (i think it was m4a) that interfere with the scan. If you put a blank card in, does it see the capacity? If it does can you put one song on the card and have the kann see that? I could not get my library to scan on initial load (800g - 2x400g cards) because i had some video files. Nothing would load because the scan would not complete. Just something else to think about. If you need the list of bad files I'll google that but video was a no no and non standard playlists seemed like a nono as well. Scan won't complete and Kann doesn't create the library. Good luck.

It wasn´t even reading a blank sd card, it was like nothing was there.

It only worked when i used an android phone to format the sd card.

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #2,017 of 2,698
You could also use the Kann to format the card.

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #2,018 of 2,698
You could also use the Kann to format the card.

I could not, initially since the Kann never read the sd card.

I can now but there is no need, it works fine.

I still need to find some proper software under Windows 10 for the initial format process, though, i´m planning to add a 512gb SD Card, and for that one i can´t use my smartphone.

Which software are you guys using or recommend?, so far i tried Mini Partition Tool Wizard, but microsd card didn´t work.

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #2,020 of 2,698
Ya know, when I originally put the 512GB sd card in my kann, 2 years ago now I never formatted it. I filled it with the music, inserted it then scanned it. Been working ever since and I do plenty of moving files around and adding/subtracting files with my windows10 machine.

SanDisc extreme pro

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #2,021 of 2,698
@JasonNYC has AK finished testing the 1TB micro sd card for the Khan Cube? I bought two 1TB microsd cards from Sandisk and intended to use with the Khan Cube and like to know if there will be any issue.

Also, I thought we should use exfat as format for large size cards

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #2,022 of 2,698
@JasonNYC has AK finished testing the 1TB micro sd card for the Khan Cube? I bought two 1TB microsd cards from Sandisk and intended to use with the Khan Cube and like to know if there will be any issue.

Also, I thought we should use exfat as format for large size cards
We have not had any issues testing in our US offices. We are still waiting for the hardware team to complete their tests before "officially" supporting.

We still recommend FAT32 formatting, which supports up to 2TB cards.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 10, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #2,024 of 2,698
I have just finished reading through all the 2024 posts.

Beautiful KANN story.

Opening the thread, and the product announcement at the beginning. The excitement in waiting what it will be, how will it sound like. Then the start of sales, expecting the reports of first pioneers, the brave buyers about SQ. Then the first experiments, the wow effects. The rise of expectations.Then the trouble reports, and some upset owners turning the back to Kann. Almost. Finally - the big brother comes.

Just like a roman.

I was surprised how moderate the tone remained even at hot discussions. I liked the helpfulness of the participants. Only a very few questions remained unanswered, and even less reactionless.

I started to read because I wanted to figure out how can I use Kann for listening to Quobuz streaming on the go.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #2,025 of 2,698
I could not, initially since the Kann never read the sd card.

I can now but there is no need, it works fine.

I still need to find some proper software under Windows 10 for the initial format process, though, i´m planning to add a 512gb SD Card, and for that one i can´t use my smartphone.

Which software are you guys using or recommend?, so far i tried Mini Partition Tool Wizard, but microsd card didn´t work.

I have used guiformat.exe for years. The only issue that I've ever had (I have more than 20 DAPs) with SD cards is with the Kann. I had one 400GB card that would never stop scanning. I removed all non-music from the card (pdf album booklets and one video) with no change. I finally made a fresh copy on another 400GB card and it worked fine in the Kann. The original problematic card works fine in my other A&K players (4 others).

www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back